Oh Dear !! It had to happen - too far and battery runs out

Reaction score
So today ... I decide that I will fly my boosters again ... 5.8 and 2.4 ... 2W each.

Go outside and wind is moderate but nothing unusual ... and I think to myself ... don't go too far.

The setup is good for over 4000m and I think - that will be enough ...

I get to 4000 after a bit of a RTH and turn around .. and silly me I ignore all the advice I give - DON'T FORGET WIND coming back ... fly within limits ...

What do I do - I push on out further ... near 5000m .. then I look at the battery level ... Oh Dear ... I start to worry ... she's on her way home - but winds now picked up a bit and she's about 10kph less than outbound - this does not look good ... I reckon I'm going to be at least 500m or more short ... nothing I can do ... just pray.

That battery % just keeps on going down and down ... I watch the distance ... and its still well over what I need.

The inevitable happens .... down she goes .... nothing I can do ...

App shows she's landed on the edge of the island about 1000m from me .. but I know that island is really tall grass and very little solid.

I jump into my motor boat and off I go ... with app and all still on - so I can use the tablet GPS to take me to her ... I hope !

The APP goes on and off as I cannot keep the controller etc. in line of model and GPS all time ... but we get into the marshes ... engine stops when clogged up ... clear that and push on ... in and out of the reeds and marsh ... zoom in on last position ... push back into the 'jungle' engine is not happy ... water cooling getting clogged up ...

Finally I see a leg sticking up out of the water ... she's tangled in the reeds ...

My APP GPS and the last position are absolutely dead on ... so with boat hook I left her on board ... pull the battery ... give everything a good shake to get excess water out ...

Motor back home and now the front panel is off the battery to airblow the board - I could not switch off the battery till blown through ...

The AC is all undamaged ... but obviously waterlogged. I'm hoping that this being a fresh water river that a good drying out will do her. I have a fan on the AC and battery now - will leave overnight.

What's that about not listening to your own advice ?

Videos are being processed for the sadists amongst you lot !! ;)

Nigel

This is a terrible story, people like you are wrecking it for everyone else!! This is why rules are getting stricter and stricter, fly within VLOS!!

This is a terrible story, people like you are wrecking it for everyone else!! This is why rules are getting stricter and stricter, fly within VLOS!!

He lives in Latvia. I doubt if FAA or Canadian drone regulations apply there.

So today ... I decide that I will fly my boosters again ... 5.8 and 2.4 ... 2W each.

Go outside and wind is moderate but nothing unusual ... and I think to myself ... don't go too far.

I get to 4000 after a bit of a RTH and turn around .. and silly me I ignore all the advice I give - DON'T FORGET WIND coming back ... fly within limits ...

What do I do - I push on out further ... near 5000m .. then I look at the battery level ... Oh Dear ... I start to worry ... she's on her way home - but winds now picked up a bit and she's about 10kph less than outbound - this does not look good ... I reckon I'm going to be at least 500m or more short ... nothing I can do ... just pray.

That battery % just keeps on going down and down ... I watch the distance ... and its still well over what I need.

App shows she's landed on the edge of the island about 1000m from me .. but I know that island is really tall grass and very little solid.

I jump into my motor boat and off I go ... with app and all still on - so I can use the tablet GPS to take me to her ... I hope !

The APP goes on and off as I cannot keep the controller etc. in line of model and GPS all time ... but we get into the marshes ... engine stops when clogged up ... clear that and push on ... in and out of the reeds and marsh ... zoom in on last position ... push back into the 'jungle' engine is not happy ... water cooling getting clogged up ...

Finally I see a leg sticking up out of the water ... she's tangled in the reeds ...

My APP GPS and the last position are absolutely dead on ... so with boat hook I left her on board ... pull the battery ... give everything a good shake to get excess water out ...

Motor back home and now the front panel is off the battery to airblow the board - I could not switch off the battery till blown through ...

The AC is all undamaged ... but obviously waterlogged. I'm hoping that this being a fresh water river that a good drying out will do her. I have a fan on the AC and battery now - will leave overnight.

Nigel
Bad read first thing in morning ,hop it drys out ok,no one likes going down in any situation,,so whats the next one you buy,:oops:sorry again and good luck for next channel crossing

Fair enough ... so you don't want to be on my Xmas card list then ? :D

We do have rules here actually and they are being sorted / modified / ratified ... and the last thing we want over here is USA or Canada rules !!

As another says - this is not an area the much harm can come to anyone ... and I am no fool to do this over housing estate etc.

I wonder how many actually keep to VLOS ? Given the multitude of posts on range - very few I reckon.

Nigel

Bad read first thing in morning ,hop it drys out ok,no one likes going down in any situation,,so whats the next one you buy,:oops:sorry again and good luck for next channel crossing

Its all opened up ... blower on it ... motors blown / oiled / checked ...

Took opportunity to add some Plastiweld inside case to back up repairs to cracks I did before. Also took a good look at the motors to see whether shielded / sealed or as normal BL motors ... and they sure aint sealed !!
For those interested - the motor is using the typical C clip at the back onto a bronze thrust washer and then bearing. I didn't take the motor apart - but looks like remove Clip .. press out shaft with bell as one ... nothing unusual except the shaft goes into the threaded front prop shaft.

If it does prove dead - which I am hoping of course is not ... I will look for a P3A or P3P second-hand .... seeing as the P3SE is not here ...

Nigel

Sorry no pics ... but will post up the screen video and the camera videos ... once processed.

Nigel

Solentlife, really sorry to hear about your mishap. I had a similar mishap yesterday in that I lost my drone up a tree. Not quite the same as your problem I know, but still bloody annoying. I was flying the drone visually, but then got distracted as 2 jets came into view. They were up at around 1500' and I was around 40' so obviously no conflict, but my distraction allowed the drone to plough into the top branches of an oak tree. The job I had to get the done down was straight out of a Buster Keaton movie. However, apart from the reset button becoming unlodged for some reason there was no damage to the drone. I dismantled the drone when I got it home and refitted the button and now all is ok. I did have propeller guards and a carbon fibre under guard fitted (courtesy of my brother - thanks Wessex) which I can really recommend people fitting.
Hope the drying out process proves successful.

Reactions: Neon Euc and Wessex
Fair enough ... so you don't want to be on my Xmas card list then ? :D

We do have rules here actually and they are being sorted / modified / ratified ... and the last thing we want over here is USA or Canada rules !!

As another says - this is not an area the much harm can come to anyone ... and I am no fool to do this over housing estate etc.

I wonder how many actually keep to VLOS ? Given the multitude of posts on range - very few I reckon.

Nigel
Well firstly, I'm glad you were able to retrieve your drone and hopefully be up and running without too much grief. Had the same experience as you when I boosted my P4 setup, long range test but thanks to the drone gods, got it back. It literally ran out of puff at my feet and steering it through the trees as it auto landed needed a towel to clean up the mess I was standing in... As for the VLOS comment, I'm an adult flying amongst an uninhabited forest/lake area, treat the drone like the expensive hobby it is and am comfortable with it.

Nigel
Sorry to hear this...we all push limits from time to time..sometimes we lose a round...hope it dries out

My biggest mistake now that I have viewed the screen video - is I should have come home after the first rth .... once signal was regained, I turned round and pushed out again. I was watching the signal bars more than anything instead of noting the big difference in speed between out and back ... the wind was getting stronger .....

The model has had a fan blowing on her all night ... so I'm hoping I can get her working today.

The battery puffed - so that's destined for battery heaven. I will dismantle the battery to get the board for experiments ...

Nigel

Here you go ... in all its 'glory' and my error !

Update :

AC has been open all night with fan blowing on her ....

Tried her this morning and she initialises... camera does its dance. But she just shows DISCONNECTED throughout.
No camera feed.
Compass error - but thats understandable - she's in my hobby room.
When I try to switch off battery - it goes off then RED LED flashes about every second or so ... the AC does not switch off.

She's not good ... will leave her open and see if time helps ...

Battery has puffed up so even though its a fresh water river - it shows that shorting occurred ... which means AC would have suffered short as well ...

Oh well ... good while it lasted ....

Nigel

Watching the video again ... its interesting that I keep getting Signal Lost .... never had that before.

Its basically part of what I have now after drying her out. I may try re-installing FW and links etc. - see what happens - I don't think it will solve it because the battery not switching off when in the AC indcates something wrong ...

Nigel

What normally kills electronics when they get wet is power being on. Nigel sorry for your loss I know y'all have had many good times and flights and try cleaning the board with alcohol if nothing else it will help get rid of water. Now for those that make the VLOS comments do y'all really fly VLOS!?! As for me no I don't if I did I wouldn't have gotten my P3S because most of the time after 400-500 feet I cant see it. plus this is Texas and summer your going to find me under a shade tree not running around trying to watch it when I have a screen to watch!

Reactions: Per Timmermann

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl