Official member of the Phantom crash club :-(

Well, I'm not saying the esc damage was mid-flight, but a result. But this happened about 2 minutes into flight, and it seems as if one of the props died mid air, thus on the video you can see it turn and begin to crash. When I noticed that something wasn't right, I begun FS mode, and let go of sticks. I know GPS was ok, battery was ok, calibration was ok... it had a mind of its own (for the first few seconds until it tanked).

First off, so sorry to hear of your mishap. It can take the wind from your sails for a time, for sure.
[edit]
One thing I would HIGHLY stress since it's such a tremendous safety issue. If the battery had been damaged, you could have been badly injured yourself carrying it all back up the trail. I've seen LiPo's pop immediately after a crash and I've seen a few do a slow burn and explode minutes after the crash.
[edit]
SO glad your Quad is still flyable!
Sorry for the delay getting back with you as I've been on vacay with family in the Great Smokey Mountains. Unfortunately, there there was absolutely no room in the car for the Phantom (the wife's pillows were non-negotiable) so no video to share. Guess this means I need a bigger vehicle or a new...oh never mind.:oops:

Thank you for the heads-up on the battery. I was so anxious to get that mess out of my sight that I didn't even inspect the battery. The good news is that it was not ejected (which I failed to mention in my original post), so perhaps this saved my back from third degree burns in the middle of nowhere. Wouldn't want to be a part of that rescue squad given the elevation they would have had to carry my charred ***.

Hey beeline, sorry to hear of your crash.
[edit]
Something I would like to share, is that as you climb you will get more satellites and a more stable flight. At least that's how it's been working for me with my FC40.

Thanks. If I were to do it again I would enable GPS from the start instead of ATTI. Maybe less likely to loose her at altitude. Problem with this location is that it's in a very deep hole, so enough sats wouldn't be acquired until maybe 200 feet or so. This crash would not have happened if not for the wind, at least that's what I keep telling myself!

Reactions: IflyinWY
Sorry for the delay getting back with you as I've been on vacay with family in the Great Smokey Mountains. Unfortunately, there there was absolutely no room in the car for the Phantom (the wife's pillows were non-negotiable) so no video to share. Guess this means I need a bigger vehicle or a new...oh never mind.:oops:

Thank you for the heads-up on the battery. I was so anxious to get that mess out of my sight that I didn't even inspect the battery. The good news is that it was not ejected (which I failed to mention in my original post), so perhaps this saved my back from third degree burns in the middle of nowhere. Wouldn't want to be a part of that rescue squad given the elevation they would have had to carry my charred ***.

Brother, it's probably cheaper to keep replacing Quad's than it is to replace a wife!! ;)

Just safety stuff my man. Hope you and the family had a great vacation! The Smokey's are one hell of a place to spend it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31