Official fireworks thread

Went down earlier this afternoon and talked to the fireworks director and a festival official. Had a nice spot picked out for launching and getting some aerial footage of the display. BIG thunderstorms moved in, K index went from 5 to 6, so I just stayed home. Maybe next year.

Encoding mine now. I really f*cked up and went way too far south than I should have. I was aiming for a more "out of the city" area being people seem to get really freaked out by the quadcopters.

After this evening, I decided I'm going to stock up on about a case or two of smoke bombs for a few video ideas I've got.

I'm also going to chase parachutes tomorrow for some training. I'm still sloppy with flying. Thought this might be a fun way to track objects moving faster than normal.

Couple from tonight's action in Jersey. Rain held out.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1436070196.232219.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1436070340.926729.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1436070381.480250.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1436070400.231748.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1436070538.093419.jpg

Fireworks over the Mississippi River in New Orleans. Video to follow soon. There were three other drones flying around the fireworks. I was flying the P3P all through FPV. The only person at risk during my shoot was me. I was flying over the 2500ft wide river. If a malfunction would have occurred I would be the one in harms way after I tell my wife how much money I just let sink to the bottom of river.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
Main fireworks in St. Louis at forest park this year instead of riverfront/arch. A couple other drones enticed me to join in although several news choppers were orbiting the fireworks lower than 400ft so had to keep in a corner [emoji34]. These were some stills. Most of the footage was video in Log so will have to color grade later.

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1436073614.304558.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1436073634.835430.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1436073651.737987.jpg

Fireworks over the Mississippi River in New Orleans. Video to follow soon. There were three other drones flying around the fireworks.

Wow - you were close! No news helicopters nearby?

All great shots, New Orleans is a real standout for me as the water and the buildings make for a great backdrop. Are you guys flying purely on the FPV for these or are the lights bright enough on the Phantom?

Here is all I was able to get, it's nothing fancy. It was quite breezy so the few photos I took didn't turn out as well I had hoped. I was pleased with the video though!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Check out my other videos too while you're there. I have been adding some recently and hope to add more soon.

Reactions: Steve Moore
First big flight with my new P3P (retiring the P2+GP4), so I was keen to stay back a bit and over empty field areas. The craft preformed superbly, rock solid and faster than my P2 rig. I didn't want to get close enough to be a distraction to viewers or, worse, have some paranoid official halt the show or some other action. I was there to document, not become part of the story, haha. Shot auto, Log and neon white balance.

Video - Fireworks over the Mississippi River in New Orleans. I am pleased with the footage I got.

Finally got this dang thing to post. Just some raw footage of the finale. Battery was critically low just before the finale started, so I pulled her down and climbed like mad. Most of this is from 300 to 950 feet. I had no idea I was that high till I looked at the log. My launch site was only 20 feet from the finale trailer, so he entire thing was up close and personal. You might catch the sprinkling of a shell that was above me.. by about 400 feet.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic