Odd behavior from my quad

Reaction score
Had several successful flying attempts since my phantom came back from a short hiatus but just now I experienced something rather odd.

Took off and flew around for sometime before deciding to land it with its power still on but propellers idle while I fiddle with the DJI app to toggle some settings, specifically with the preview quality.

Then suddenly, out of the blue my quad started up on its own and propellers started spinning even though i'm not touching the sticks, had to quickly apply CSC to prevent it from flying off and it landed on its side with 0 damage, happy about that.

This is the first time this happened, I still had over 40% of battery left but I was scared it might behave erratically again so I decided to pack up and call it a day.

Anyone experienced this before? It scared the **** outta me.

If you land and leave the propellers running at idle, in time they will spin up. If you start the motors but leave it idling without taking off, they will remain at idle. Basically if you want to sit on the ground idling, stop the motors, and then restart them. Don't throttle up and they will then remain at idle.

Dirty Bird said:
If you land and leave the propellers running at idle, in time they will spin up. If you start the motors but leave it idling without taking off, they will remain at idle. Basically if you want to sit on the ground idling, stop the motors, and then restart them. Don't throttle up and they will then remain at idle.

i see, so every time i land, i would have to kill the motors and and then restart them but not throttle and leave them spinning slowly or else they'll just start up randomly some time later again?

phantomnoobpilot said:
Dirty Bird said:

i see, so every time i land, i would have to kill the motors and and then restart them but not throttle and leave them spinning slowly or else they'll just start up randomly some time later again?

that's how it reads to me?? I'd like to know why it decides to spool up if left at idle without stick inputs??? seems dangerous if nothing else...

locoworks said:
that's how it reads to me?? I'd like to know why it decides to spool up if left at idle without stick inputs??? seems dangerous if nothing else...

The reason is, the bird still thinks it is flying. Ever notice how the altitude shifts around a little when hovering? If that happens after it has settled to the ground, returning the stick to to center, says hover... until the detected altitude drifts a little. Then it takes off. You have to hold down stick if you want it to stay on the ground. Full down shuts it off after a delay.

DCGOO said:
locoworks said:

The reason is, the bird still thinks it is flying. Ever notice how the altitude shifts around a little when hovering? If that happens after it has settled to the ground, returning the stick to to center, says hover... until the detected altitude drifts a little. Then it takes off. You have to hold down stick if you want it to stay on the ground. Full down shuts it off after a delay.

Yup... a guaranteed tip-over.

locoworks said:

When you land and leave her idling your bird thinks its still in the air and flying. As the barometric sensor isn't absolutely precise and sometimes jumps around a bit, it can cause the motors to spool up when it mistakenly thinks it is losing altitude. When you start but haven't yet lifted off, it knows its still on the ground.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockymountaincaptures