Obsidian or white?

Just a thought on color I have the Obsidian Pro 4, also have 2 extra batteries. One is Obsidian the other white ( only thing available at Best Buy at the time plus on sale). Anyway the white battery in black body is easier to see, that gives me a good idea which is rear of The Quad, Seems to help on direction of Quad. Black or white both batteries are the same, So it is personal preference, just enjoy and have fun

This discussion is only about the taste. No relevant arguments for this or that.
Perhaps the only one that counts is the visibility, which depends on the background and light.
With the dark background behind you will hardly see the black one and in the snow the white one almost disappears.
So it is all about Black o white - by Michael Jackson!

Without a doubt Black has the better look and goes with anything you put on it.
Check out this Black Obsidian with the Black Eclipse Wetsuit . Stunning
Black is easier to see in the sky, and it does not heat up enough to even mention it.
The white battery helps with orientation in the sky as does a contrasting color to really see orientation better. .
We posted some videos of the different colors in the sky . Phantomrain.org

Are research showed that having two colors to provide contrast gave the best and longest visual in the sky under all conditions.
The all black was very good but provided no help with orientation of the drone, meaning if you knew the camera was pointing forward of back.
Black has its advantages and the heat building is irrelevant with a drone.

Screen Shot 2018-03-21 at 11.39.49 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-02 at 1.49.26 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-18 at 1.26.47 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-03-18 at 1.26.58 PM.png

Last edited:
Without a doubt Black has the better look and goes with anything you put on it.
Check out this Black Obsidian with the Black Eclipse Wetsuit . Stunning
Black is easier to see in the sky, does not heat up enough to worth mentioning and with a white battery helps with orientation in the sky.
We posted some videos of the different colors in the sky .

Are research showed that having two colors to provide contrast gave the best and longest visual in the sky under all conditions.
The all black was very good but provided no help with orientation of the drone, meaning if you knew the camera was pointing forward of back.
Black has its advantages and the heat building is irrelevant with a drone.

View attachment 96554 View attachment 96555

View attachment 96552 View attachment 96553
Have you tried to locate that tile? I had a set my wife bought me for Christmas last year. Aside from the fact they only last a year and are expensive, locating anything with them is like finding a needle in a haystack! When I was out of range it showed nothing. o_O

Have you tried to locate that tile? I had a set my wife bought me for Christmas last year. Aside from the fact they only last a year and are expensive, locating anything with them is like finding a needle in a haystack! When I was out of range it showed nothing. o_O

Yep . Last years Tile was a FAIL.
This years Pro TILE , might be a little better ,

When used in conjunction with the Built in GPS of the Drone .... The Tile may be a nice added feature
So it may not be a Fail and it may get a passing grade.
We are going to test it soon in the pouring Rain of course to see if that holds up.

Screen Shot 2018-03-21 at 11.30.50 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-21 at 11.31.01 PM.png

This discussion is only about the taste. No relevant arguments for this or that.
Perhaps the only one that counts is the visibility, which depends on the background and light.
With the dark background behind you will hardly see the black one and in the snow the white one almost disappears.
So it is all about Black o white - by Michael Jackson!
I have to disagree with you, the original question was that he can't decide which he likes better. Taste might be a deciding factor in which he likes better, but so could temperature differeces, visibility in the sky, and anything else mentioned here. There are many factors that go into deciding what you like better, not just "taste"...........

Well, I went for the obsidian for a variety of reasons. Firstly, price was not an issue, as both were the same price at my place of purchase. If either were cheaper, I would probably have taken the cheapest option, because looks don't matter to me as much as function!! Having said that, due to price being irrelevant, the obsidian does look so much better when sitting next to the original!! I fly regularly with a couple of friends, and we have noticed no difference in anything that might be affected by the temperature differences, so I don't really feel heat is any kind of issue, unless you are flying in the places mentioned earlier, where extremely bright, and intense, sunlight is a factor. Luckily, not been an issue here to this point, I guess time will tell if I ever encounter those conditions.
As for availability of spares, I haven't encountered any problems yet, and surely a shortage of white spares could be a similar issue, depending on stocks held by your supplier, and the amount of people buying them!! But again, no issue for me, because if it was so urgent that I couldn't wait a week or two, the color wouldn't be anywhere as important as the functionality!!
So, to the original questioner, did you make a decision yet, and make a purchase?? Regardless of which you go with, I hope you enjoy your flying as much as I do!!

I have to disagree with you, the original question was that he can't decide which he likes better. Taste might be a deciding factor in which he likes better, but so could temperature differeces, visibility in the sky, and anything else mentioned here. There are many factors that go into deciding what you like better, not just "taste"...........

OK, that's your opinion of course. You are saying that this discussion is not about the taste but then you say how much the black one looks better. If this is not the taste, what is it then?
There is no other relevant item that gives one of them any advantage. Even the visibility which, as you said is better at black, is relative to the environment. If the drone accidentally fall or land in the bush, field or any other natural ground (except snow) which one will you find easier?

I have the same issue of deciding which to buy, White or Obsidian?

Overheating and parts availability were concerns of mine, but it doesn’t sound like heat is an issue. I’ll be flying in the Midwest, in Central Illinois and Nebraska. Parts? I should be able to get parts, but not at a widespread of places.

Hmmmm....Stil a decision I need to make. White or Obsidian? I’m leaning towards Obsidian for better Visual sight when it’s in the sky, but I’m worried about parts availability of that color too. I guess I can always put white parts and white stripes on it. I’m thinking I can get a white battery to help with seeing the orientation in the air too.

I saw a post that said it does look more professional too.

Reactions: Scottie74
OK, that's your opinion of course. You are saying that this discussion is not about the taste but then you say how much the black one looks better. If this is not the taste, what is it then?
There is no other relevant item that gives one of them any advantage. Even the visibility which, as you said is better at black, is relative to the environment. If the drone accidentally fall or land in the bush, field or any other natural ground (except snow) which one will you find easier?
If you read the rest of what I said, and what others have said about the obsidian being more expensive, you will also see I said that it was low on my priorities. Given all else was equal, THEN I went for how it looked, compared to the white.
And there are plenty of other possible considerations, as others have mentioned, such as operating temperatures, which, may, or may not, be something to consider, although given what others have said, in mist environments has proven not to be an issue. I went on taste, because in MY situation, all else was equal, but others may have different considerations into what they "like". I stand by what I said, and find your original criticism, and your follow up, to be ill considered, not thought through, and totally lacking in open mindedness...........

And I didn't say that it's not about taste, I said it isn't ONLY about taste, which is what you were implying in your comment, which is what I took objection to. Yes, it MIGHT be about taste, but that is only a small part of what somebody might think they like about something.

I have the same issue of deciding which to buy, White or Obsidian?

Overheating and parts availability were concerns of mine, but it doesn’t sound like heat is an issue. I’ll be flying in the Midwest, in Central Illinois and Nebraska. Parts? I should be able to get parts, but not at a widespread of places.

Hmmmm....Stil a decision I need to make. White or Obsidian? I’m leaning towards Obsidian for better Visual sight when it’s in the sky, but I’m worried about parts availability of that color too. I guess I can always put white parts and white stripes on it. I’m thinking I can get a white battery to help with seeing the orientation in the air too.

I saw a post that said it does look more professional too.
I fly with a couple of friends here, who both have white, and wether blue skies, or cloudy, my obsidian seems easier to see. In terms of parts availability, I have two spare sets of props, and extra batteries, and I'm hoping that only one thing goes wrong at once, if at all, so I will have spares, even if I have to wait a little longer for any replacements. The only other thing to really consider is price, but my place of purchase, white and obsidian were equal in the drone, and the accessories, so it wasn't an issue. But from what others said, that isn't always the case everywhere.
Whichever you buy, I wish you good flying, and I hope you have as much fun as I am!!

I went with obsidian as to me it is much easier to see in the sky. I have 3 obsidian batteries and one white one and I agree that the white battery does help with orientation. As you mentioned it’s all about preference and taste. Either way you can’t go wrong. Happy flying!!

I'm currently running a white P4P, with Obsidian props - good combo :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT