[NOW FIXED] Controller only showing 2 solid lights after charging?

Rip

Reaction score
EDIT: I've now fixed this, see post #18 below

My new (to me) P3A controller has been on charge for about 12hrs, for the first few hours 3 out of the 4 white LED's were flashing in sequence which I assume means it's charging then after that all the lights went out which I assume means it's charged? But when I unplug the charger and turn it on, 2 out of the 4 lights are solid white, the 3rd light is flashing and the 4th light is off? Does this mean it's not fully charged?

I've since tried starting again a couple of times but still get the same result.

I have read the manual BTW, it just says that these lights show the battery level but doesn't actually say how many should be on when fully charged, unless I've missed it in the manual somewhere (quite possible).

Last edited:
I'm going to have to buy a new controller aren't I?

The controller will only charge to 58% according to the GO app, roughly how much flight time will I get out of that? I've got 5x Phantom batteries which is roughly 2hrs flight time so I'd like the controller to at least manage that.

Try switching the controller on and leaving it to fully discharge (could take a few hrs). Then recharge from the start (again a good few hrs) and check again. :)

Try switching the controller on and leaving it to fully discharge (could take a few hrs). Then recharge from the start (again a good few hrs) and check again. :)
Good plan thanks, I'll switch it on now as I'm heading out to work, then I'll charge it again tonight and see what happens.

Actually it's gone flat already! I'll take it to work and charge it there. Fingers crossed eh?!

I'm down about £800 so far this week after buying my first quad, a P3S I bought looses range almost right away and now the controller that came with this P3A I've bought won't hold charge! I'm not having much luck :-(

I'm pretty close to just giving up with the whole idea of quads and DJI. What started out as a £400 bit of fun will potentially be £1000+ if I have to get a new controller, and that's even if I can find one anywhere!

Would a hard reset help? If so how do I do it and would I need to install the firmware again afterwards? The controller is a GL300C

Reactions: Ghost2508
Phantom 3 4k controller

I have a 3 4k controller, that was completely dead. Nothing worked!
I found this video and tried it. It worked and all is good. Don't know if it will help you, but it is like a restart. It's with a try, if you think you can do it.

There is a controller on eBay listed as "Phantom 3 Professional / Phantom 4 controller"

Will that work with my P3A?

Well running the battery down a bit and recharging has made it massively worse!

Now only one light flashes when charging, then stops after 10 minutes, then when unplugged and turned on only one light is solid, so it has like 20% charge. What the hell?

I'm not familiar with the P3A (have 2 each P3S machines and a homebuilt hexacopter, but no P3A), but here are a couple of things that you might try:

1. Insure that you are getting a good electrical connection between your power source (computer, wall outlet, whatever...) and your controller. It could be that you are getting a partial or an intermediate connection, both of which could lead you to think the battery IS being charged when it really isn't. Use a volt-ohmeter with the appripriate connectors) and in the correct range for what you are measuring.

2. If you can, try your charger on a different P3A controller. There is a possibility it is the charger and not the controller. (I know, In ow... the P3A might be just like the P3S, where you connect it to a computer USB port to charge the controller... Just throwing out ideas here trying to save you a few coins...)

3. I take it this is a previously-owned P3A. If so, can you contract the previous owner? If so, you might be able to find out if this was a known problem to that owner before you got the aircraft. If so, what did that owner do to make the drone work?

Peaceful Flying \/ @@ \/

I'm not familiar with the P3A (have 2 each P3S machines and a homebuilt hexacopter, but no P3A), but here are a couple of things that you might try:

1. Insure that you are getting a good electrical connection between your power source (computer, wall outlet, whatever...) and your controller. It could be that you are getting a partial or an intermediate connection, both of which could lead you to think the battery IS being charged when it really isn't. Use a volt-ohmeter with the appripriate connectors) and in the correct range for what you are measuring.

2. If you can, try your charger on a different P3A controller. There is a possibility it is the charger and not the controller. (I know, In ow... the P3A might be just like the P3S, where you connect it to a computer USB port to charge the controller... Just throwing out ideas here trying to save you a few coins...)

3. I take it this is a previously-owned P3A. If so, can you contract the previous owner? If so, you might be able to find out if this was a known problem to that owner before you got the aircraft. If so, what did that owner do to make the drone work?

Peaceful Flying \/ @@ \/

Thanks man, I've not yet tested the output of the charger, I do have a multimeter but not sure what setting to have it on (I'm not all that clued up on electrics to be honest).

I don't have another P3A controller to test the charger on, I have a P3S, but the charging ports are different :-(

I did contact the previous owner, he was unaware of the fault, he had t used the controller/quad for around 6 months (maybe that's something to do with it? Maybe the battery it's self has gone bad? But it appears you can't buy spare ones anywhere!) he was a real nice guy and seemed very genuine so I have no reason to doubt him, he's been very helpful since I told him about the issue.

After trying to 'fix' the controller for most of the day yesterday and getting absolutely nowhere I ordered a new one for (£250!), it should be here today or tomorrow so at least I can fly my new quad that I've laid all this money for. Hopefully it'll just be a case of binding to the quad and off I go!

I'm still extremely keen to get the old controller working though so I can sell it on and make some money back as I really was t expecting to pay out another £250 on top of the price of the quad.

I spoke to DJI and after sending th photos and videos and a description of the issue they just said "start the repair procedure and send it to us", but they won't even give me idea of cost or turnaround and as out of warranty anyway I've contacted UK repair place so hopefully I'll get a reply from them today.

If you take the controller apart you can easily replace the rechargeable battery inside to me five minutes using youtube vid and the replacement battery cost me £10

If you take the controller apart you can easily replace the rechargeable battery inside to me five minutes using youtube vid and the replacement battery cost me £10
Where can I get another battery in the UK?

I'm quite happy to buy another battery and I assume just fit plug from the existing battery but I'm unsure exactly which battery to buy?

This is the stock battery
92EDB673-E6B4-49BD-894F-E3A48F74FC36.jpg

So what battery did you buy?

Well I've fixed it:

• Took the main board out
  • Covered all the plastic bits and LED's with foil
  • Pre heated my kitchen oven to 200°C
  • Put the main board on a ceramic plate
  • Put it in the oven for exactly 8 minutes
  • Let it cool for 10 minutes
  • Reinstalled main board
And that's it, essentially I've "reflowed" the main board which is simply melting the solder just enough that it self repairs any dry joints. The controller now shows all 4 lights on a full charge. Turns out it's all down to a dry joint or two and not an actual failure of any components.

41023357534_38fd5ae82a_b.jpg

40841824585_32ddc6c07c_z.jpg

Obviously do this at your own risk but this is a popular method of repairing circuit boards in many different electrical items. I have actually successfully done this before on the video board inside an LG flat screen TV that just stopped working one day.

Last edited:
And that's it, essentially I've "reflowed" the main board which is simply melting the solder just enough that it self repairs any dry joints.

Excellent! Yes, this same problem was covered in a thread by Chopsticks Kid after he replaced the battery and still couldn't get the controller to fully charge. He did the reflow thing and it worked fine after that. Thanks for sharing those tips that will allow people to fix it themselves at home.

Reactions: Chopstix Kid
Excellent! Yes, this same problem was covered in a thread by Chopsticks Kid after he replaced the battery and still couldn't get the controller to fully charge. He did the reflow thing and it worked fine after that. Thanks for sharing those tips that will allow people to fix it themselves at home.
Brilliant. Hopefully it'll help some people and save them the high cost of a new controller.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tpren3