Not very pleased with the P4

Remember, there might be a lot of "fake P4 videos" out there, filmed with other platforms, such as P2, P3, etc...
I agree but just the THOUGHT of the P4 looking like the video above would scare me. I would never use it if it looked even 40% like that POS above us. (I was referring to the first video).

EDIT: Thanks for posting the second one. I forgot I saw that one and even without proper lighting and filters, it still looked great. So far, I've been quite chuffed with the videos I've seen of the P4.

Can you reuse the P3 remote control on the New P4?

Anyone know?

Best regards,
Steve
This is a weak answer but I think I remember that something in the RC of the P4 is stronger than the P3, so yes backwards, but not the other way around but I am not sure but I think I remember reading that.

Thank you!
I just found this on the DJI website under the FAQ "What's better about the P4 remote" and this is their exact answer.

"The Phantom 4 introduces a Sport mode, accessible through a new trio of modes, P, S and A. P (Position) mode is the standard mode, giving access to normal flight as well as Intelligent Flight Modes, ActiveTrack and TapFly. S (Sport) Mode unlocks maximum flight speeds of up to 44mph (72kmh) A (Attitude) Mode remains the same and removes satellite stabilization in flight. It allows the Phantom to move more smoothly and naturally.The ‘Playback’ button on the top right of the remote controller has been changed into a ‘Pause’ button that lets you put the Phantom into hover during any Intelligent Flight Mode, ActiveTrack or TapFly with a tap."

I'm impressed. Something that's not mentioned too much is that the P4 had dual IMUs and compasses. It error checks for accuracy and probably to prevent fly aways.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Can you reuse the P3 remote control on the New P4?

Anyone know?

Best regards,
Steve

More than likely, but remember that the only reason DJI made a newer controller for the P4 is so that it could add a few more buttons which are specific to the P4 only (i.e. pause, sport mode, etc). So if you use the P3 controller you'll be missing out on the extra features. They are probably available in the DJI GO app, but what fun is that!

Reactions: Drone Master
There is less Chromatic Aberration. It looks more like the video from my x3.

For me? The first thing I am going to do with my first P4 is to take it apart and get to know what makes it tick.
That way I will be able to help you guys with diagnostics and repair. Somebody has to do it. I have done this many times with all my birds.
I am still flying them all with out issues.

Reactions: Jussaguy
It is interesting that there are no apparent dampers on the new camera/gimbal isolating it from the frame. That might be a sore spot with an out-of-balance prop. I can't imagine this wasn't tested but I guess we'll have to wait & see.

The rubbery dampeners are inside the shell. Watch the DJi video the one that shows the P4 coming apart in peices if you pause it and take a screenshot of the video you can then zoom in and see where the gimbal mounts to that dampener and see the black rubbery grommets

The camera looks much better than the p3p.

HOLY CRAP!!!

That looks way better than the P3. If this video is real, this blows away the P3P. Look at the roof of the warehouse or whatever. That's what really shows how good it is. You cold have told me that was the X5 and I would have believed you.

Thanks for posting that.

And by the way, the tracking looked great and organic. That video made me more hyped for it than any yet.

There is less Chromatic Aberration. It looks more like the video from my x3.
I have an Inspire myself and I always use my P3P. I don't notice much difference with my filters in the X3 and whatever they call the P3P which has always in my mind been in actuality, the X3. There is NO QUESTION that the video that you posted (P4 or not) is not only better than the P3 but much better IMO. I don't think the Inspire's X3 (again i own it) could handle the panels on that roof as well as it did.

By the way people, don't forget to turn it to 4K. Also, I am looking at it on my 5K monitor so its actually being blown up and still looks that good. AMAZING! God, I hope that's a true Phantom. The shadow of it sure looks like it.

In fact, I think the whole line have the same camera in them only being held back by firmware and I've asked people high up and they seem to be lying when they say no. My friends at a couple shops that do work on them say they all look exactly the same inside. The non Pros just don't have that little fan (but they do have it on the inside).

Last edited by a moderator:
It is clear that the basic camera design is exactly the same as the previous Phantom 3 or P2V+. The camera module fitted to the gimbal looks exactly the same as on the P3.

That means fixed lens unit mounted to the sensor. Fixed aperture. NO aperture control (not even manual) and no mechanical shutter.

This is the most basic you can get. That said, GoPro uses this same configuration well and generally get good results. My P3A is clearly not at the image quality or video quality level of a GoPro 3 or 4.

We saw with the P3 series that DJI just could not manufacture consistent quality from camera to camera. If they can achieve GoPro quality with the P4 then it is a huge step forward for the P4

The truth most probably are the IQ or the video quality will not be much different (sensor alone does not make that much a difference) Also the value of the P4 will most probably fall by 50% within the first 6 months judging what happened to my P3 (price drop driven by DJI themselves).......

HOLY CRAP!!!

That looks way better than the P3. If this video is real, this blows away the P3P. Look at the roof of the warehouse or whatever. That's what really shows how good it is. You cold have told me that was the X5 and I would have believed you.

Thanks for posting that.

And by the way, the tracking looked great and organic. That video made me more hyped for it than any yet.

I have an Inspire myself and I always use my P3P. I don't notice much difference with my filters in the X3 and whatever they call the P3P which has always in my mind been in actuality, the X3. There is NO QUESTION that the video that you posted (P4 or not) is not only better than the P3 but much better IMO. I don't think the Inspire's X3 (again i own it) could handle the panels on that roof as well as it did.

By the way people, don't forget to turn it to 4K. Also, I am looking at it on my 5K monitor so its actually being blown up and still looks that good. AMAZING! God, I hope that's a true Phantom. The shadow of it sure looks like it.

In fact, I think the whole line have the same camera in them only being held back by firmware and I've asked people high up and they seem to be lying when they say no. My friends at a couple shops that do work on them say they all look exactly the same inside. The non Pros just don't have that little fan (but they do have it on the inside).

I agree, camera looks great! Handled the roof tiles very well. I must say I don't have much experience with the P3P camera to compare it to, but it looks good. The roof tiles and cladding on the side of the building appeared sharp and with no "jagged" edges - not sure what the term is for that.

Also I agree with the tracking being quite organic. handled it quite well

It is clear that the basic camera design is exactly the same as the previous Phantom 3 or P2V+. The camera module fitted to the gimbal looks exactly the same as on the P3.

That means fixed lens unit mounted to the sensor. Fixed aperture. NO aperture control (not even manual) and no mechanical shutter.

This is the most basic you can get. That said, GoPro uses this same configuration well and generally get good results. My P3A is clearly not at the image quality or video quality level of a GoPro 3 or 4.

We saw with the P3 series that DJI just could not manufacture consistent quality from camera to camera. If they can achieve GoPro quality with the P4 then it is a huge step forward for the P4

The truth most probably are the IQ or the video quality will not be much different (sensor alone does not make that much a difference) Also the value of the P4 will most probably fall by 50% within the first 6 months judging what happened to my P3 (price drop driven by DJI themselves).......

What makes you think that the P4 will price will fall 50% within the first 6 months ???
The price reductions on the P3P and P3A , are now only 20%, and that took a lot longer than 6 months.
DJI has never lowered the price 50% on ANY phantom, and certainly not, the newest model.

Reactions: Dirty Bird
Here what I paid in SFR

P3A with extra battery plus case in Nov 15 was 1450SFR (Swiss)

Today you can get a brand new P3A for 799SFR (DJI special) or the package above from 999SFR to 1200SFR

On the second hand market the result is the P3A basic sells at 500 to 6500SFR, the case seperately for 50 - 90SFR and the a 2nd hand battery for 100 - 120. Complete package as above are selling for 700 to max 800SFR....

Guys who are trying to sell their P2V+ are really battling.......

Never in the past I experience value of equipment to go down a mine shaft like this!!!!! DJI itself dropped from Nov 15 to Feb 16 from 1500 for full package to below 1000...... The effect on the 2nd market is huge......

Here is a still posted by Ken. I am highly impressed. Mine cannot get here quick enough.

DJI_0015.jpg

Here is a still posted by Ken. I am highly impressed. Mine cannot get here quick enough.

View attachment 46106
Obviously not the full-res file? but it looks good! Finally coming close to Hero 4 black stills. I was comparing some of my P3P stills with my hero 4 black and the GoPro were far sharper imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj