Not sure where to start - Beginner questions

Reaction score
Hey Phantom Pilots,

I've been lurking for a bit, trying to decide if I should take the plunge and buy a phantom. I have a video background, but haven't done any aerial filming before. I'm sort of at that rough edge of technology comfort where I'm skilled at basic plug and play, but soldering makes me a little nervous. So I suppose I have a few questions before really diving into the deep end.

• If I bought a Phantom 2 only, would I have much difficulty adding a video transmitter / iosd later, or is that going to involve a lot of detail work that I could conceivably really screw up? Or in other words, should I just shell out for someone to do it for me before it even gets to my door?

• Similarly, if I didn't get a gimbal pre-installed, is that plug and play?

•I would be stupid not to wait for the H3-D3, wouldn't I?

• What's the learning curve like, going from indoor quad copter to outdoor GPS big boy rotors?

• Based on what I've seen, Helipal seems to be the least expensive for the kits I've been looking at, but there's some questions about reputability. Any advice on retailers to use? I'm within walking distance of B&H in NYC.

• Speaking of NYC, are there any local pilots who might be willing to talk with me, or meet up some time to see if this is at all a good idea for me, or if I've just got some fancy dream happening that's really a bad idea?

Thanks very much for the help, I'm sure I'll have a million more questions.

Max2068 said:
Hey Phantom Pilots,

I've been lurking for a bit, trying to decide if I should take the plunge and buy a phantom. I have a video background, but haven't done any aerial filming before. I'm sort of at that rough edge of technology comfort where I'm skilled at basic plug and play, but soldering makes me a little nervous. So I suppose I have a few questions before really diving into the deep end.

• If I bought a Phantom 2 only, would I have much difficulty adding a video transmitter / iosd later, or is that going to involve a lot of detail work that I could conceivably really screw up? Or in other words, should I just shell out for someone to do it for me before it even gets to my door?

• Similarly, if I didn't get a gimbal pre-installed, is that plug and play?

•I would be stupid not to wait for the H3-D3, wouldn't I?

• What's the learning curve like, going from indoor quad copter to outdoor GPS big boy rotors?

• Based on what I've seen, Helipal seems to be the least expensive for the kits I've been looking at, but there's some questions about reputability. Any advice on retailers to use? I'm within walking distance of B&H in NYC.

• Speaking of NYC, are there any local pilots who might be willing to talk with me, or meet up some time to see if this is at all a good idea for me, or if I've just got some fancy dream happening that's really a bad idea?

Thanks very much for the help, I'm sure I'll have a million more questions.

It really depends on how skilled you are at taking things apart and such.
but if you're tech savvy, it's a snap to do everything yourself (and much more fulfilling)

The P2 with H3-3d is a great value, and you'd save a few hundreds bucks getting the bundle.
if you want to make the best video's,. a gimbal is critical.
.and then you'll want to get fpv so you can see what you're shooting.

there's not really much of a learning curve going from indoor small copters to big outdoors, they're just bigger (and there's wind to contend with), but it's like going from a small car to a truck, same concept.

I imagine there's a lot of local flyers you can meet up with, they'll answer a ton of questions.

And boy, if you can walk to B&H, you won't have to pay for shipping (but guess taxes), tho having a local vendor to go to can be quite handy if for some reason it doesn't work.

Thanks Gizmo3000, I was thought for a minute I wouldn't get any responses.

Plug and play is no big shakes for me. I've planned and wired many a home theater, whilst making it look clean. My hesitation lies in things like an FPV setup, or iOSD. Is that an intuitive process, or am I going to be struggling over piles of documentation, wasting hundreds of dollars because I did the connections wrong somewhere.

I mean, I just took a look at a how to video and freaked out a little. Satisfying is one thing, but operable is more important...

Maybe I'll take a hike over to B&H and see what they have to say.

Thanks again,

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z