Not all USB cables are the same.

Related to this, you said when you got home you used a magnifying glass to look at your cable end. If your in the field, your phone camera zoomed is a great magnifier. I hadn't thought of it until I was trying to see a number on a lock. Works perfect.

Sent from my XT1585 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I work for a construction company (we build machinery for moving dirt, excavators, back-hoes, dozers, and the like) on all aspects of noise and vibration for both operator comfort and machine durability. In doing so, I often use very expensive instrumentation to gather data ... until a couple of years ago when a younger fellow, pulled out his iPhone and started making sound measurements. Granted, not as good as the pricey equipment I use, but in A vs. B comparisons, works just fine. I pondered whether it was time to polish-up my résumé ... until my boss said: Don't even think about it, we'll always need you and your 'precision-grade' instrumentation.

All this to say, it is just mind boggling what all of this technology has brought up, the iPhones, then the Arduino and Raspberry PI, then I was reading the other day a fellow who attached an FLIR thermal camera to a drone and was doing thermal surveys. This sure is a good time for technology not to be a nuisance, but to simplify aspects of our everyday life.

... Sorry for rambling

Reactions: JohnnyB
I work for a construction company (we build machinery for moving dirt, excavators, back-hoes, dozers, and the like) on all aspects of noise and vibration for both operator comfort and machine durability. In doing so, I often use very expensive instrumentation to gather data ... until a couple of years ago when a younger fellow, pulled out his iPhone and started making sound measurements. Granted, not as good as the pricey equipment I use, but in A vs. B comparisons, works just fine. I pondered whether it was time to polish-up my résumé ... until my boss said: Don't even think about it, we'll always need you and your 'precision-grade' instrumentation.

All this to say, it is just mind boggling what all of this technology has brought up, the iPhones, then the Arduino and Raspberry PI, then I was reading the other day a fellow who attached an FLIR thermal camera to a drone and was doing thermal surveys. This sure is a good time for technology not to be a nuisance, but to simplify aspects of our everyday life.

... Sorry for rambling

Don't be sorry... all true... I was having a similar discussion with a work associate the other day, saying how amazing it is right now for technology. And I have a 9-year-old son, and he is slowly possessing my old Phantom 2, so literally the sky's the limit for him. I do try to teach/show him the good in technology so he doesn't see/hear all bad...

And on a topic-related note.... I was in the market a few weeks ago for a simple lightning cable to keep at my desk at work, and I noticed that a lot of listings either said "for charging only" or "for charging and data". Not sure why they can't just have ONE cable and be done with it...

Reactions: JB63 and JohnnyB
If I could figure out a way to make a cordless extension cord.... I could quit pipefitting.. [emoji15]

Agreed, one cord fits all would be best.

Sent from my XT1585 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Why does the same micro USB cable charge one device but not another?

Because its the same old marketing ploy ... to make you buy only THEIR crap !!

If you think USB is bad for this - you certainly never went through the 9 pin Serial days !!

I have a book on the old 9 / 24 pin serial systems that is about 2" thick ... describing how to connect different plugs for different systems ....

All these systems may comply with the International standard protocols - but its the additions to it that mess it all up ...

Nigel

Ironically all my black cables are 30 inches.

As most White cables will tell you girth is more important than length. If you find a long cable working better it is probably a thicker higher quality cable; and as mentioned some just do power.
I took my Bike 40 miles up the rode and plugged everything in just to find out i had brought only a power cable. Had to fly blind. Now I keep a known good one in the drone case

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik