Noob help with Sky photos and exposure

Reaction score
I have a P3S, and cant get my land/sky photos right. Either the sky is washed out or the land is too dark. I like taking pictures of mountains at high altitude(AGL, I stay below 400 ft). Here are two pictures that show examples of how I can't get it right. Some times I get it right by luck.Any suggestions?

Unrelated note these were taken at 12,650 above sea level, yesterday.

Attachments

• DJI_0006.JPG
    DJI_0006.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 317
  • DJI_0029.JPG
    DJI_0029.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 313
Try a split field nuetral density filter. I used one here:
Stanley Hotel

Hlo Noob, nother Newb here, lens filter kits fairly cheap on Amazon and Ebay.
Bottom line is they do work!
Happy Flying.
Ps: nice photos...

I have a P3S, and cant get my land/sky photos right. Either the sky is washed out or the land is too dark. I like taking pictures of mountains at high altitude(AGL, I stay below 400 ft). Here are two pictures that show examples of how I can't get it right. Some times I get it right by luck.Any suggestions?
That's always a problem when you have a bright sky and a darker foreground.
It's just too much range for the the camera to be able to record both extremes properly.

So keep it in mind when you are composing and try to shoot with the sun behind the camera as much as possible so that the foreground is well lit.
Or you could experiment with HDR photography and shoot AEB 5 brackets to extend your dynamic range.

Can anyone suggest a filter kit? I have played with HDR using Litchi and DJI Go, but the results have been less than stellar. Maybe my expectations are out of line as I am used to HDR photos from my iPhone 7 Plus. I understand HDR, but not sure what you mean by AEB 5 Brackets.

The photos posted of the stanley and meta 4 are exactly what I am looking for.

Thanks in advance.

Can anyone suggest a filter kit? I have played with HDR using Litchi and DJI Go, but the results have been less than stellar. Maybe my expectations are out of line as I am used to HDR photos from my iPhone 7 Plus. I understand HDR, but not sure what you mean by AEB 5 Brackets.

The photos posted of the stanley and meta 4 are exactly what I am looking for.

Thanks in advance.

I haven't done any HDR photos with mine cause I haven't experience a problem with shadows and not being able to get good photos yet. But i'd imagine is you do something like the following it should work:

Position your drone for your photo
Enable tri-pod mod to ensure minimal movement.
Set your camera ISO, Shutter Speed Aperture.
All the way at the bottom is the Exposure. What you're going to do is.

Take 1 photograph with the exposure set to 0
Take 1 set to +1, then +2
Take 1 photo with it set to -1, and -2

Then when you get home you're going to post process and merge them all together basically. There maybe easier ways to do it, but like I said I haven't played with HDR photography on the drone much yet.

Does the 'S' allow you to shoot in 'log'? The originals will look pretty washed out, but they can be processed to obtain good color saturation in the sunlit areas while pulling details out of the shadow.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl