Non-US Resident bringing Drone into USA

Reaction score
Hi All,

Have done a bit of a search but haven't found too much information around this.

Australian resident travelling through the USA later this year. Planning to take the DJI Phantom 3. Any restrictions about bringing this through the country? Does it need to be registered to bring it in, or does it only need to be registered if I plan to fly? (not planning to fly in the USA)

If someone could clarify that would be fantastic!

Cheers,
Dave

US flyer here. 90% sure there is no problem bringing/having in your possession your p3. Make sure batteries are properly stowed for flight over here.

If you were to fly the drone, you would need to register with our FAA.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Below is an excerpt from this page:
Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions/Help

IMO, if you're not going to fly it you don't have to do anything.

I'm a foreign national and want to fly my UAS in the U.S. on vacation. Do I have to register before flying?
If you are a foreign national and you are not eligible to register your sUAS in the United States there are two ways for you to operate. If you want to operate your UAS exclusively as model aircraft you must complete the steps in the web-based registration process and obtain a "recognition of ownership." This recognition of ownership is required by the Department of Transportation to operate a model aircraft in the U.S. Alternatively, if you want to operate your UAS as a non-model aircraft you must register your UAS in the country in which you are eligible to register and obtain operating authority from the Department of Transportation.

NOTE: The FAA's online registration website can only be accessed from a computer located in the U.S. or its territories or possessions.

Reactions: BigAl07

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen