No signal

I have the latest bird firmware, latest Go App, 9.1 ios, but I have not updated the rc to the latest stand alone firmware update. I'm one behind that. I have had this issue from the start, everything being the same except for running ios 8.1 on my air2. It seems to have calmed down but I did get a momentary red flicker of no signal on my last flight, without it actually affecting my live feed. So, I'm not confident I've eradicated completely, but I hope I've squashed the worst of it. Time will tell.
Please let us know if you update the RC to the latest version and what happens. I personally wouldn't recommend it, but if you do and it breaks you might be able to join our "no signal" club. Haha

III%Steve....did you really just type "I am the computer world"? Lmao. Reading your last post sounds like a bunch of fluff from someone pretending to know a lot about computers, but I see right through it because I really do know hardware and software. I've been building computers, networks, and writing software for the past 20 years. Not to mention scripting applications, reengineering platforms and beta testing. I didn't just manage a computer store. Most people I know that manage computer stores do it because they didn't posses the knowledge or expertise to become a software engineer or hardware engineer. Most people on this board think that you work for DJI, because of they way you defend them and claim that there are no issues, but we all know better. If you worked for DJI, then you would admit to the issues, especially the "no signal" issue that three different DJI techs on separate occasions have admitted to as being a huge problem for them and that the number of calls regarding the "no signal" issue is increasing every week.
Fortunately, I couldn't care less what you "think" of my background. Your "story" proves its invalidity. As for others assumptions.. Last I checked, dont think I gave a rats a$$ about hat either! The FACT is that I have never discounted the fact that any issue exists. The FACT is that I DO look for a genuine cause for those issues, and assign weight to it based on the facts that we all have. Children exaggerate everything to make things huge and scary! They do that partially because they don't understand the true reality! they also do it to make THEIR issue more important than whatever else is going on so THEY get the attention. Sound familiar? Back to my background.. Im retired at 44 because of the successes I have had in my past.

Please let us know if you update the RC to the latest version and what happens. I personally wouldn't recommend it, but if you do and it breaks you might be able to join our "no signal" club. Haha
I'm in the club regardless. I will not be updating the rc yet because those that have still have the problem, and even a bit more trouble. The only thing that seemed to help is updating my air2 to 9.1 and the latest Go App. How much or if at all I won't fully know until I fly more.

To further show how stupid it is to think I work for DJI. Im one of the people that help run off the two that DO work for DJI because of the BS they were pulling. Some have been around long enough to remember that. Some just got here and dont know a lot of the history.

I'm in the club regardless. I will not be updating the rc yet because those that have still have the problem, and even a bit more trouble. The only thing that seemed to help is updating my air2 to 9.1 and the latest Go App. How much or if at all I won't fully know until I fly more.
Wait a second.. so replacing the controller ISN'T solving everyone's issues? Doing something to the TABLET is helping some?? Funny how that seems to exclude the controller, and support the tablet issue.

Wait a second.. so replacing the controller ISN'T solving everyone's issues? Doing something to the TABLET is helping some?? Funny how that seems to exclude the controller, and support the tablet issue.
But like I said, I got a momentary red no signal on my last flight regardless. It just wasn't as catastrophic as my previous complete disconnects though, yet. I kinda muddied the process of elimination by also Turing off video cache and opting out of auto channel select for custom channel 20 and dropping the bit rate to lowest. But still, that flicker of red happened. So honestly, I don't expect expect to be cured.

Reactions: Poundofnuts
To further show how stupid it is to think I work for DJI. Im one of the people that help run off the two that DO work for DJI because of the BS they were pulling. Some have been around long enough to remember that. Some just got here and dont know a lot of the history.

3%, I'm really starting to doubt the "validity" of everything you say now.

You "ran off some DJI guys and only some have been around here long enough to know that"? Your profile says you've been a member since 8/1/15. Is that supposed to be a long time? It also says your 31, but you say you're 44 and retired. So can you elaborate as to how you magically transformed into a 44 year old, retired man, in 3 1/2 months?

Plus, if you had half of the tech experience you claim to have, you could easily see that this is a firmware problem with the remote. Hell, even DJI has acknowledged that the problem is the RC firmware.

"Hell, even DJI has acknowledged that the problem is the RC firmware."

But I don't think it can be tied to the most current firmware on the rc because I have it and I'm a Rev behind. It could possibly be tied to the latest bird firmware 1.4.10 though. I think most people with the problem had it start at that point. Posts about this go back a ways earlier this year. That is when the drifting issue started too. Dji has some things to correct in the next firmware Rev and wouldn't you know it, the expanded geo system will be folded in too I bet.

3%, I'm really starting to doubt the "validity" of everything you say now.

You "ran off some DJI guys and only some have been around here long enough to know that"? Your profile says you've been a member since 8/1/15. Is that supposed to be a long time? It also says your 31, but you say you're 44 and retired. So can you elaborate as to how you magically transformed into a 44 year old, retired man, in 3 1/2 months?

Plus, if you had half of the tech experience you claim to have, you could easily see that this is a firmware problem with the remote. Hell, even DJI has acknowledged that the problem is the RC firmware.
Im not sure about my age being displayed here. Ill check that in a minute. No, being here 3 months isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things. But its a lot more than the activity you've shown in 181 and a 10% acceptance "like" level! Ill send my certificate of retirement via PM as its not really important to the conversation. All companies have stories to appease their customers. Quite often they are not based at all in truth! There are other conversations here that say that the remote has to be replaced to solve the problem. Yet replacement remotes have the same issue. This, in and of its self, proves that the remote isnt the problem. There is far too much speculation, insanely too much guessing, and too little logic, involved in any of this.

"Hell, even DJI has acknowledged that the problem is the RC firmware."

But I don't think it can be tied to the most current firmware on the rc because I have it and I'm a Rev behind. It could possibly be tied to the latest bird firmware 1.4.10 though. I think most people with the problem had it start at that point. Posts about this go back a ways earlier this year. That is when the drifting issue started too. Dji has some things to correct in the next firmware Rev and wouldn't you know it, the expanded geo system will be folded in too I bet.
The next firmware will be out next week most likely (beta closed yesterday), and doesn't have geofencing implemented. Thats going to be largely an app process though. And I'm still not sure they will, of if they can, lock the 3rd party apps in to using it.

Reactions: kcochran
Im not sure about my age being displayed here. Ill check that in a minute. No, being here 3 months isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things. But its a lot more than the activity you've shown in 181 and a 10% acceptance "like" level! Ill send my certificate of retirement via PM as its not really important to the conversation. All companies have stories to appease their customers. Quite often they are not based at all in truth! There are other conversations here that say that the remote has to be replaced to solve the problem. Yet replacement remotes have the same issue. This, in and of its self, proves that the remote isnt the problem. There is far too much speculation, insanely too much guessing, and too little logic, involved in any of this.
3%, I'm happy you have a retired technician certificate, I applaud you. However, I was a technician before I became a hardware engineer, then a software engineer. Technicians are great at 1st level support people but when they can't resolve the issue, the issue is turned over to second tier, then third tier, then eventually works its way back to the engineers like myself, who resolve the issue. Technicians don't handle complex tasks like developing software, re-engineering software applications, comparing module changes to test application conflicts amongst each other, let alone the OS or hardware platform. This is what I do and I do it very well. I can tell you with 100% certainty that the issue is not the tablets. The issue is easy for me to see, yet somewhat complex to explain since it does manifest itself as a tablet issue at first, so I can see how you might think it's a tablet issue. After performing test after test after test with every variable imaginable and speaking with 3 different DJI reps, we've discovered that it has to do with the latest remote control firmware not playing well with DJI GO. I agree that there are people out there that have had the "no signal" issue because they had a bad controller cable, a bad gimbal cable, or didn't have their settings correct. However, for the majority of us that are having this "no signal" issue, ours is directly related to the latest RC firmware update not playing well with the latest versions of DJI GO. I don't work for DJI, or have access to open their scripts and analyze their program, but if I did I would like to test the addition of the lightbridge 2 modules that were built into the latest 2 or 3 versions of DJI GO. I have a funny feeling that could be part of the culprit. So you say it's the tablet, I say it's the RC. To be technical, it's the DJI GO application running on the tablet that doesn't play well with the latest firmware update for the controller, and that's why you mistake this for a tablet issue.

3%, I'm happy you have a retired technician certificate, I applaud you. However, I was a technician before I became a hardware engineer, then a software engineer. Technicians are great at 1st level support people but when they can't resolve the issue, the issue is turned over to second tier, then third tier, then eventually works its way back to the engineers like myself, who resolve the issue. Technicians don't handle complex tasks like developing software, re-engineering software applications, comparing module changes to test application conflicts amongst each other, let alone the OS or hardware platform. This is what I do and I do it very well. I can tell you with 100% certainty that the issue is not the tablets. The issue is easy for me to see, yet somewhat complex to explain since it does manifest itself as a tablet issue at first, so I can see how you might think it's a tablet issue. After performing test after test after test with every variable imaginable and speaking with 3 different DJI reps, we've discovered that it has to do with the latest remote control firmware not playing well with DJI GO. I agree that there are people out there that have had the "no signal" issue because they had a bad controller cable, a bad gimbal cable, or didn't have their settings correct. However, for the majority of us that are having this "no signal" issue, ours is directly related to the latest RC firmware update not playing well with the latest versions of DJI GO. I don't work for DJI, or have access to open their scripts and analyze their program, but if I did I would like to test the addition of the lightbridge 2 modules that were built into the latest 2 or 3 versions of DJI GO. I have a funny feeling that could be part of the culprit. So you say it's the tablet, I say it's the RC. To be technical, it's the DJI GO application running on the tablet that doesn't play well with the latest firmware update for the controller, and that's why you mistake this for a tablet issue.
You have no idea what your talking about... again! Try a little google work. Maybe... "federal technician program". I was THE person that repaired and maintained all electronics gear for Kansas National Guard when I retired. That's electronic optics for weapons, all GPS equipment, all radios, and all satellite equipment. EVERYTHING that had electricity gunning through it! There aren't ANY other people in the STATE that have the electronics background I have. At the same time I was my units airframe inspector in charge of 26 BlackHawks. And also at the same time as all of that I maintained the network for the State of Kansas. Adding THAT background, there isnt likely anyone for a few thousand miles that can touch my knowledge. How that applies here... there is nothing that contains ANY tech that I haven't already built, fixed, or maintained.
Now.. If your done pretending that little inquisition is going to somehow challenge me, or lay question to anything, we can get back to dealing with the problem at hand. First of which is using that glorious ignore button! And... Poof. Hes gone!

You have no idea what your talking about... again! Try a little google work. Maybe... "federal technician program". I was THE person that repaired and maintained all electronics gear for Kansas National Guard when I retired. That's electronic optics for weapons, all GPS equipment, all radios, and all satellite equipment. EVERYTHING that had electricity gunning through it! There aren't ANY other people in the STATE that have the electronics background I have. At the same time I was my units airframe inspector in charge of 26 BlackHawks. And also at the same time as all of that I maintained the network for the State of Kansas. Adding THAT background, there isnt likely anyone for a few thousand miles that can touch my knowledge. How that applies here... there is nothing that contains ANY tech that I haven't already built, fixed, or maintained.
Now.. If your done pretending that little inquisition is going to somehow challenge me, or lay question to anything, we can get back to dealing with the problem at hand. First of which is using that glorious ignore button! And... Poof. Hes gone!
So what does your glorious experience have to do with software engineering? Oh, that's right nothing. I guess that's why you don't understand the problem. Keep on thinking it's the tablets 3% Streve. Your comments are entertaining to say the least......probably the best out of the entire state of Kansas like your electronics background. Bold statement, just like your others that are untrue.

I did check, I am on the latest update with my iPhone 6 Plus. Thank you everyone for your input. I have tried an iPhone 5s and a Android HTC One. All with the same results. "No Signal". It'll fly but no functionality with camera. Does make sense it's a chip problem in the controller. I entered ticket with DJI support three days ago with no word back. Guess I'll wait a little longer to see if DJI comes up with a fix before I go through hassle of warranty return. Frustrating.......

Reactions: Poundofnuts
I left education very early & now work with my hands, does this make me dumb, in my educated guess no, I wouldn't know a code if it hit me front on, in saying that my son will cuz I'm putting him through college for same [emoji114], point being this **** "I know more than you" is bollix I'd fly with the best of ye because I love it

Reactions: III% Streve
After performing test after test after test with every variable imaginable and speaking with 3 different DJI reps, we've discovered that it has to do with the latest remote control firmware not playing well with DJI GO.
This I can't really agree with. I had/have the problem and I'm not on the latest rc firmware. Do a search and see how far back the complaints on this issue go. I'm not saying it's not and rc update that's playing a role, but I do not think it can be tied to the latest one. If anything, I'm guessing it's actually sorted out in the bird firmware in the end.

Well, just got back from flying a battery and it's all good- not a single hiccup in the video feed, not a single disconnect issue. The more flights I put together like this, the more I'm gonna just consider that I have this licked. I don't mean to hijack the OPs thread but it has widened to the overall issue of this problem, so I just want to report my experience since I came from multiple disconnects, a tablet crash and reboot, and some nasty video feed, to now having sorted it out. I'm not coming from a position of never having the problem, but rather having what looks to be fixing it. What I did-

- Updated my air2 to IOS 9.1
- Updated the Go app to 2.4.1
- Not updated the rc to the latest firmware update. I'm one rev behind and where all my problems have been up till now
- Discontinued use of 3rd party Cambond short lightening cable and now use the OEM lightening cable
- Purchased dynamic3dsolutions cable wrap to keep said cable nice and neat on the rc- thanks Dave :cool:
- Turned off video caching (I miss this one but I love no flight issues more)
- Chose channel 20 and dropped bit rate all the way down. This one cleared up glitchy video feed entirely for multiple flights now
- Hardware decoder has always been and remains enabled

The above seemed to wrangle in this problem for me. It doesn't mean much to others that don't get the same result, but this is mine. I gotta say, confidence growing it's fixed.

Reactions: bobmyers and Oso
Its not a tablet issue. I have the problem on my iPhone 6S too. It's a firmware/app issue. I'm hoping that the new update in December [that implements GEO] will resolve this problem as that update will most likely involve an app and firmware update. Would be a great time for them to release a fix.

I feel sorry for all the users who have the no signal problem.

It is very strange that there are a number of us here in this board and lots of others just out flying not going on the boards, that don't have this problem, even with the latest FW, iOS and App.

For me and I fly:
app 2.4.0
fw ac 1.4.10
fw rc 1.4.30
iOS 9.1

I will update to App 2.41 this weekend. But this works perfectly for me on a iPad Mini 2, I have dedicated the iPad to the P3P so I only use it for apps relating to theP3P.

Go
B4youFly
Autopilot
Airnest

But I know others who run lots of apps and have no problems, I just like lean.

I have noticed that a few times I have had lagging video on the iPad, but not on the HDMI out on the RC (I have that option installed) but those have been brief and clear quickly. So I am wondering if a lot of this is problems with the cables and the pads overheating. I do use a hood I made myself on the iPad but the whole back of the iPad is open to cooling, actually out a bit from the RC clamp as well, this does help cooling.

Like I said it is very strange that some work and some don't. I think the great majority have no problems and the few that do are very vocal on this board. We do need to get to the bottom of this. It may actually be bad USB ports on some of the RCs or just a lot of bad cables.

Just a few thoughts on a frosty morning in NH.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik