No Gimble initialisation or Camera feed after Repair

Reaction score
Hi all Newby here, I bought a used Dji Phantom Advanced with a broken Gimble mount (sheared off) so I purchased a repair kit and set about replacing the cable and arm, when i initially powered up, the Gimble started to spin and I thought things were good, but then it just stopped, so I stripped it down and re checked all my work,after re assembly its still not working, could I have blown anything or maybe a fuse on Gimble board,it wasn't a genuine DJI flex cable and wondering if this could be the problem, but is it likely that all functions don't work ? (could understand if maybe one action didn't go but not all ) flex looks fine.
Hopefully someone can help me, I was hoping someone near Bristol might be able to test the Gimble assembly to confirm if its Gimble end or drone control side, or point me to some voltage checks to the Gimble board etc
Thanks

when i initially powered up, the Gimble started to spin and I thought things were good, but then it just stopped

If it did this once, then on subsequent runs it did nothing - then looks like something got burned.

If it does the initial spin and then goes limp each time, then you didn't burned anything.
The only place you can look for details are the flight logs - one is within FC, another is stored on a mobile device.

is it likely that all functions don't work ? (could understand if maybe one action didn't go but not all ) flex looks fine.

The gimbal consists of two almost independent parts - video pipeline and gimbal stabilization system.
They share only a CAN data line and 12V-to-5V buck converter.

Still, it isn't that uncommon for the two parts to be both damaged, each has its own range of possible problems.

First things to check:
- Are voltages on the board correct? There are several test pads which you can read voltage on.
- Is FPV video working? If not, then you should check if at least videos and photos are stored on sd-card. If not, you can connect to serial interface of Ambarella chip and check if it's booting.
- Cause for the gimbal issue could be visible in flight logs - check them. If there's nothing, you should capture internal communication between drone modules (ie. between OFDM and FC), they should contain packets with Gimbal status (you can view them using Wireshark).

Necessary tools:
o-gs/dji-firmware-tools

Descriptions of all the boards:
o-gs/dji-firmware-tools

Partial schematics for some boards:
o-gs/dji-hardware-schematics

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member