No-Fly Zone

Reaction score
I have been asked by the local airport owner/operator to film around their ongoing facilities expansion, but with the introduction of no-fly zones I am not able to take off or operate in a No-Fly zone at the airport. Is there any way to remedy this? Thanks.

Do some searching around the forums and you will find out how to do this. I would make sure you get written permission from the airport owner/operator and make sure his ATC personal is aware of this as not to cause any accidents.

As long as you have permission you should be ok. You need to make a tin foil hat for your phantom. It will block the GPS signal and default to P-Atti. VPS should still work though, but only to a certain height. You should definitely maintain LOS because what appears stable via FPV from 100-200' up is actually drifting quite a bit. Make sure you get permission from the control tower too, if there is one, or otherwise have the appropriate airport official with you to communicate via radio

Reactions: Arson161
Do some searching around the forums and you will find out how to do this. I would make sure you get written permission from the airport owner/operator and make sure his ATC personal is aware of this as not to cause any accidents.

Joe it's an uncontrolled field, and I also hold a private pilot license and am very aware of aircraft rules regulations and restrictions. I was just asking about a quick fix for this, and I have found it by speaking with some other folks on here. Thanks for your reply.

I have been asked by the local airport owner/operator to film around their ongoing facilities expansion, but with the introduction of no-fly zones I am not able to take off or operate in a No-Fly zone at the airport. Is there any way to remedy this? Thanks.

I find the nanny'ing of grown up people annoying, so I'm not a fan of that limitation. A warning would be appropriate - not a no-fly limit.

I think the work-around is to cover up the GPS-receiver and fly in ATTI-mode. The DJI-representative even showed this in a YouTube channel called "Tested" - in this video
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I think they cover it up with some aluminum foil. You might even notice that when you hold your hand over the middle part of the Phantom it will often lose GPS. And without GPS it should not be a nanny any more.

The problem is, that it is suddenly less safe to fly the Phantom, because you don't get the GPS aid to hold the P3 steady. Extremely silly... Making sure VPS is on might be handy in this situation as it should 'stick' to the ground when low enough, even if there is a little wind.

Be careful out there - and please report back. I'm curious how you go about it :)

Reactions: Arson161
Joe it's an uncontrolled field, and I also hold a private pilot license and am very aware of aircraft rules regulations and restrictions. I was just asking about a quick fix for this, and I have found it by speaking with some other folks on here. Thanks for your reply.
Arson, you state that you got your answer. Was it the tin foil hat or something else? As CFIIMEI myself, I had a possible job to fly the hangers at a local contract tower apt. I haven't given an answer on it yet for the very same reason.

Arson, you state that you got your answer. Was it the tin foil hat or something else? As CFIIMEI myself, I had a possible job to fly the hangers at a local contract tower apt. I haven't given an answer on it yet for the very same reason.

That was the best answer I have been given. I have put in an email to DJI support and will post here what their reply is. But I will be trying the method described using tinfoil hat.

That was the best answer I have been given. I have put in an email to DJI support and will post here what their reply is. But I will be trying the method described using tinfoil hat.

How did this end up turning out for you, Arson? What did DJI say and were you able to get the shots and footage that you wanted?

You should be able to get an answer from DJI, but you can't post it here as there is an NDA attached to it. If you can prove you are professional, licensed and hold an FAA authorisation for this commercial job, DJI will help you.

You should be able to get an answer from DJI, but you can't post it here as there is an NDA attached to it. If you can prove you are professional, licensed and hold an FAA authorisation for this commercial job, DJI will help you.

They attach an NDA to the e-mail they send you? Or they make you sign one? Don't both parties have to express agreement to an NDA?

They attach an NDA to the e-mail they send you? Or they make you sign one? Don't both parties have to express agreement to an NDA?
You have to sign one. There is no need for them to sign one as well I suppose.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers