No Fly Zone over Beachs in Hilton Head Island.

Reaction score
I was flying my P3A at 0700 in the morning on the north end of the beach on Hilton Head Island - SC. and after about 10 min a life guard came up to me and said there is "no flying over the beach - city counsil voted to ban them." He was cool about though and said there is almost no one on the beach so you are OK for a while. I flew for a few more minutes and brought it down.

I was flying my P3A at 0700 in the morning on the north end of the beach on Hilton Head Island - SC. and after about 10 min a life guard came up to me and said there is "no flying over the beach - city counsil voted to ban them." He was cool about though and said there is almost no one on the beach so you are OK for a while. I flew for a few more minutes and brought it down.

It's probably not worth testing, but they didn't ban drones. They have an ordinance that bans motorized vehicles ON the beach. If you took off away from the beach, I don't think they have the legal authority to regulate the airspace over the beach.

It would be nice to have available a pro-bono attorney willing to take these cases just to make a name for himself/herself. These small-time city councils create these silly local laws simply because no one challenges them on it. The 2 that I know of that were challenged were reversed after it being explained to them that they could not just completely ban something like that. Austin, TX was one of them, now I forget the other one. There, all it took was one flyer, and one store official that sold the copter to him, to simply "visit" the city council and instruct them on the new technology and the amount of taxes going into the city coffers, for them to drop the ban and say they now LOVE new technology! lol!!

Maybe you should explain to the city council that they have no legal to control air space.
Launching or landing upon, yeah, that works.

Reactions: skyviper73
With the nominal 1.2 mile range of the P3P, which can be stretched to 2.8 miles under ideal conditions, and a 35 mph top speed, make them come find you! It's a game of cat and mouse! They can't regulate what they can't find, and that is you. No one will believe that the guy with the transmitter is over a mile away! Have fun out there, and don't let these guys push you around, by staying out of sight. Learn to hand launch and hand catch for quick deployment and a quick escape! :cool:

With the nominal 1.2 mile range of the P3P, which can be stretched to 2.8 miles under ideal conditions, and a 35 mph top speed, make them come find you! It's a game of cat and mouse! They can't regulate what they can't find, and that is you. No one will believe that the guy with the transmitter is over a mile away! Have fun out there, and don't let these guys push you around, by staying out of sight. Learn to hand launch and hand catch for quick deployment and a quick escape! :cool:

Bah my video range is around 1400 feet. :(

Need to get an update or maybe there's a hardware issue

As informal “stewards” of this burgeoning community perhaps we should maintain a topic which lists and records these so called “bans” enacted by overzealous city councils and local authorities?

Forward the incident(s) and any pertinent details to the AMA and ask them to comment and/or contact these local officials to better educate how so called “bans” may not achieve the intended results?

The more we inform and coordinate professional and perhaps legal representation to protect our rights and this sport the better off we’ll be.

I know there’s folks who smirk about AMA but it’s helpful informing “Barney Fife” I’ve got $2.5M liability insurance coverage while following AMA rules & guidelines.

Reactions: Jeff48920
I'm not one to play 'legal eagle' here or elsewhere but if your desire was the water or offshore subjects, air space notwithstanding, 'they' have no authority from the mean-tide line out to sea.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Bah my video range is around 1400 feet. :(

Need to get an update or maybe there's a hardware issue
DJI specs call for a 1.2 mile range with a clear LOS on the P3P. If you aren't getting it, and are on a clear channel, with your antennas parallel to eachother and parallel to the vertical struts of the aircraft containing the antennas on the aircraft, then there is definitely a hardware issue. Are you by chance referring to a P2v+ without Lightbridge?

DJI specs call for a 1.2 mile range with a clear LOS on the P3P. If you aren't getting it, and are on a clear channel, with your antennas parallel to eachother and parallel to the vertical struts of the aircraft containing the antennas on the aircraft, then there is definitely a hardware issue. Are you by chance referring to a P2v+ without Lightbridge?

P3P. Haven't checked channel. I'll check out the antenna diagrams again, I had them parallel but pointed toward the aircraft, not parallel to struts.

P3P. Haven't checked channel. I'll check out the antenna diagrams again, I had them parallel but pointed toward the aircraft, not parallel to struts.
Play around during flight with the orientation of both the transmitter and the antennas to see if you can't increase the transmitter bars shown at the top in the DJI GO app, or get back into Green when you get the Weak Signal warning. I often have to hold the transmitter completely vertical or even partially overhead sometimes. Lastly, make sure your elevation is as high as you are willing to go, 400 feet or higher to regain full control in problem areas. Over water is the easiest. Also, try to fly from above your subject on a hillside, rather than from below it, where trees and buildings can obstruct the signal. Good luck!

I'm not one to play 'legal eagle' here or elsewhere but if your desire was the water or offshore subjects, air space notwithstanding, 'they' have no authority from the mean-tide line out to sea.

Sounds like the OP found himself a great law enforcement officer who based his activities on the reality of the situation.

Actually "they" have no authority whatsoever once the phantom is on the air. They do however have the right to ban takeoffs and landings in the park. FAA has sole authority over the airspace. The police may also have authority to arrest the pilot for creating a nuisance or endangering people or property by flying over populated areas or places with buildings. They do not have the authority to simply create an ordinance "banning" aircraft from overflights.
As has been said many times, unless you are prepared for a long legal battle (and I strongly suggest these be fought in federal court) you may just want to fly somewhere outside of the jurisdictional limits of these areas and take your pictures or video from that perspective.

Agreed,

Assumed (i know) he was on the beach.

Cheers.

Reactions: Jeff48920
Agreed,

Assumed (i know) he was on the beach.

Cheers.
Better vantage point and more unique shots from the water just offshore anyway, looking back at the beach and buildings from above!

As informal “stewards” of this burgeoning community perhaps we should maintain a topic which lists and records these so called “bans” enacted by overzealous city councils and local authorities?

Forward the incident(s) and any pertinent details to the AMA and ask them to comment and/or contact these local officials to better educate how so called “bans” may not achieve the intended results?

The more we inform and coordinate professional and perhaps legal representation to protect our rights and this sport the better off we’ll be.

I know there’s folks who smirk about AMA but it’s helpful informing “Barney Fife” I’ve got $2.5M liability insurance coverage while following AMA rules & guidelines.
Who wants to follow all AMA rules and guidelines required for their "free" insurance, that the AMA has never had to pay out a claim on, because there are so many loopholes in their policy that they can always deny coverage ? :rolleyes: Did you know that the AMA prohibits handcatching, which is the best way to protect your craft during landing from dirt and debris and tipovers?

Who wants to follow all AMA rules and guidelines required for their "free" insurance, that the AMA has never had to pay out a claim on, because there are so many loopholes in their policy that they can always deny coverage ? :rolleyes: Did you know that the AMA prohibits handcatching, which is the best way to protect your craft during landing from dirt and debris and tipovers?

I hear ya, but what would you suggest? Post rants on a tiny message board most people will never read?

AMA isn’t perfect but at least it’s an established organization helping support our common cause instead of standing around whining with our dicks in our hand…

Recent AMA mobilization helped convince Governor Brown of CA to veto “drone” law which had made it to his desk.

At least the AMA is recognized in the industry with a track record and some experience lobbying legislation.

I don’t agree with AMA position with regard to hand-launching/catching in some situations. But, this is new technology and there will be growing pains and flaws.

My attitude is why not participate and utilize an established, organized vehicle to possibly improve the situation?

OMG - I just saw a commercial for Myrtle Beach on TV and of course filled with aerial videos, LOL... Ironic, eh?

Reactions: jason and GoodnNuff
upload_2015-10-2_12-19-57.png

I hear ya, but what would you suggest? Post rants on a tiny message board most people will never read?

AMA isn’t perfect but at least it’s an established organization helping support our common cause instead of standing around whining with our dicks in our hand…

Recent AMA mobilization helped convince Governor Brown of CA to veto “drone” law which had made it to his desk.

At least the AMA is recognized in the industry with a track record and some experience lobbying legislation.

I don’t agree with AMA position with regard to hand-launching/catching in some situations. But, this is new technology and there will be growing pains and flaws.

My attitude is why not participate and utilize an established, organized vehicle to possibly improve the situation?

OMG - I just saw a commercial for Myrtle Beach on TV and of course filled with aerial videos, LOL... Ironic, eh?
I am not convinced that the AMA helps support our common cause. They have their own agenda, and drone owners are not their focus. As a matter of fact, according to AMA proponents, they admit that drone flyers are often not even welcome among many AMA members at AMA flying fields! As to the reason Governor Moonbeam vetoed the proposed "drone" law, it had nothing to do with the AMA. It was an unconstitutional, unenforceable law that was ill conceived and attempted to control airspace exclusively in the jurisdiction of the FAA. The AMA actually wanted Moonbeam to sign another drone law instead!

To answer your question, I don't think we have any control whatsoever over whatever legislation or FAA Rules that will eventually be adopted/passed that will be enforceable and constitutional. They are coming. In the mean time, let's fly the heck out of these wonderful aerial flying platforms, instead of tilting at windmills. There is far too much media hype and misinformation that already has formed the opinions of the majority of voters for us to change their minds.

Drone shots are used everywhere. Very few have been shot in compliance with any guidelines or rules or laws. The footage isn't stamped with any approved compliance certification before use! Shoot away.

When drones are outlawed, only outlaws will fly drones!
They still won't be able to find the pilots, if they are careful! :cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31