No Fly Zone Map?

Reaction score
Hey everyone, someone I know owns an inspire and lives about half of a mile away from my town's airport. They were saying before they bought it that they weren't going to be able to fly at their house because if was in a no fly zone, but when I looked at the no fly zone map it showed that our airport was not a no fly zone. I live in Minnesota and it only showed the three biggest airports in the state to be no fly zones (Rochester, Duluth, and Minneapolis.) About a week later, they received their inspire, and were not able to fly at their house. I was confused, but searched "dji no fly zones" on google, and found that there are two no fly zone maps, (one showing our airport as a no fly zone and one not.) I'm wondering why this is? I've never flown my P2V+ within a mile of an airport (and don't plan on doing so) so I'm not sure if mine flies near the airport or no. Is the one with more no fly zones for the Phantom 3/Inspire and the one with less for the Phantom 2? If someone could explain this to me that'd be awesome. Here are the links to the two different maps:

http://www.dji.com/fly-safe/category-mc

http://flysafe.dji.com/no-fly

Those are interesting maps. One has only major airports and the other has many minor airports that I am familiar with in my area (San Diego). I don't have an answer for you, I just find the maps interesting and will watch this thread.

The problem is China knows nothing about U.S. airspace and the map they provide is sorely lacking. Here is a much more comprehensive no-fly zone map that is being compiled and is now freely available by just signing up. The side menu has different categories that you can toggle on and off. The (?) next to each menu category will explain what it is. It also includes National Parks no fly zones. They say this map will continually be refined going forward and be updated as regulations go into place. It would be nice to have this forum's private and commercial pilots' thoughts regarding this map.

www.airmap.io/about

www.AirMap.io

The problem is China knows nothing about U.S. airspace and the map they provide is sorely lacking...........
Give them a little time. After the latest hacking incursion into our systems, they'll know most "everything" before you know it.

Ok so if you watch the introduction video on each of the pages, it appears that the 2nd one is just an updated version with more airports and national parks, etc. So the 2nd one is the current map... I'm not sure why the first one is still up, and it's the first result when you google search "dji no fly zones" too...

The first one is still up because it applies to the P2 generation which doesn't get firmware updates anymore. It is accurate for the P2 series whereas the second updated map is not.

For example, last night I couldn't fly at my buddy's pig roast even though I had already checked airmap.io, and I knew it was perfectly legal for me to do so. My P2V booted normally, began to find satellites, found satellites, but after it found its sixth satellite, if flickered RED 20x times instead of green 20x. Then it flickered green 20x. This apparently means it knows my home point is in a no fly and it won't let me fly.

As it turns out, he lives just barely inside the 15 mile radius of The White House and the more accurate new second map (and the DC FRZ) uses Reagan National Airport as the center of the circle with the 15 mile radius. The airport is about 1600 feet south of the White House. A P3 or P4 could happily fly at the pig roast (on Harding Lane in Brinklow, Maryland), but a P2 could not.

The first one is still up because it applies to the P2 generation which doesn't get firmware updates anymore. It is accurate for the P2 series whereas the second updated map is not.

I may be misinterpreting what you are saying. That map originally applied to the P2 series, but it should no longer be relied upon. Newer maps with updated no-fly zones apply to all models and should be followed, regardless of whether or not the DJI firmware prevents you from taking off. The FAA doesn't differentiate between a P2 and a P4.

That's exactly what I did. I followed the new map and I couldn't launch. Why? Because the new map doesn't apply, the old map applies. That's my point.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers