No Drone Zone - Huntington Beach

Here is an article from the local newspaper about Huntington Beach being a No Drone Zone. I get not flying during the 4th of July parade, but it says most of the area is within 5 miles of an airport. I can't think of an airport that is that close.

Huntington Beach reminds public that its July 4th parade is a 'no-drone zone'

Thoughts?

It seems 'they' (the proper gov't. authorities) can regulate where you take-off & operate from as well as land but the sky is the purview of the FAA and they have made it clear flying over crowds, specifically, is not allowed and flying within a 5 mile airport radius (if true) requires airport notification.

So it doesn't matter if there's an airport or not (too lazy to investigate), does it?

The closest airport is 6 miles away.

I totally understand not flying over crowds. I really like flying out over the ocean, mostly because if I crash, it won't hurt anyone....

I bring up the article because of this. HB is my local beach. It would suck to get a ticket for flying there.

Yea looks like they 'played it loose' with the distance from the airport but can still get ya with the take-off, etc. location if they have such rules/laws in place.

He's calling for Heli-ports in the article not airports. There is a heliport in almost every city. I don't think that is correct that you can't fly 5 miles from any heli-port. That would include most hospitals, police stations, News stations and private Heli-pads.

You can nitpick at the language in the article, but the spirit of what they're trying to do is pretty clear to me.

There's a parade. There's a heliport nearby. There will be helicopters flying around. There will be small manned planes overhead. So in light of all this, there will be no UAS flights.

This makes perfect sense.

Reactions: Reed L
Yea looks like they 'played it loose' with the distance from the airport but can still get ya with the take-off, etc. location if they have such rules/laws in place.
They also played it loose with the "guidelines" too:
In fact, flying drones in Huntington Beach is largely illegal year-round as the Federal Aviation Administration prohibits their use within five miles of an airport or helipad without prior authorization. And Huntington Beach airspace is virtually blanketed with “nodrone zones” because of overlapping heliports and regional airports, the sergeant said.

Um, no it does not. It does not prohibit it.
Getting Started
Location Requirements: 5 miles from airports without prior notification to airport and air traffic control

You must NOTIFY them of your flight. Its not illegal to fly there nor is it prohibited. Its regulated. Different thing. Not saying its smart or the best thing to be buzzing near an airport though but there is a difference between being regulated and prohibited and illegal. And a cop should know that. And you don't need authorization (except for commercial flights). Unless recent rule changes have altered the "guidelines", notification is sufficient. Permission is not required. Cooperation is a good idea nonetheless.

Heliports have a tower. Helipads do not. Helipads are not airports. Most are private and for emergency use only. The problem with this is your average cop on the beat doesn't understand any of this. And to make matters worse, they may have bad information. As an example, check out what LAPD have been given:

12744609_647846875353816_4398834886296995539_n.jpg
1476555_647846905353813_3678701841185391601_n.jpg

Some LAPD have interpreted this to be a cause for arrest if you don't have a COA. And with 91.119 on the back, it makes matters even more confusing.

So you need to know the facts. And no matter what, you need to exercise caution and common sense. I wouldn't operate in a busy area without good knowledge of aviation, airports, airspace, etc.

As for a parade, you'd best stay clear unless you have permission. If the city were smart, they would get a TFR posted.

So you need to know the facts. And no matter what, you need to exercise caution and common sense. I wouldn't operate in a busy area without good knowledge of aviation, airports, airspace, etc.

All smart things indeed.

Also remember the rule: Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should do something.

Especially if it involves someone wearing a badge with the ability to make you very miserable for a long time.

Please don't get me wrong. I didn't start this thread because I had a problem with staying away from the parade, crowds, etc. I was more concerned about not being able to fly at the beach at all. I usually fly several miles south of the HB pier, OR several miles north at the Bolsa Chica wetlands....

Check policies for state, county and city beaches. Each will be different. Some won't allow it.

I too have been trying to find a hassle free place to learn to handle my new drone in the HB as that is where I live. I'd like to find a spot west of beach blvd. as that gets me outside the 5 mile rule for John Wayne. BUT, I'm even more concerned about being hassled by police within the city no matter where I go. Can somebody here that knows the area help me out? I have no desire to practice anywhere near homes. So open fields seem likely the best choice. Any help would be appreciated.

Hey Tim.

I like to fly at Mile Square park in FV. Also have flown at Bolsa Chica wetlands. I've gone down to thr Balboa peninsila too.

Heliports have a tower. Helipads do not. Helipads are not airports.

This is what the FAA defines as an airport: An airport is defined in the law as any area of land or water used or intended for landing or takeoff of aircraft including appurtenant area used or intended for airport buildings, facilities, as well as rights of way together with the buildings and facilities.

Or did am I missing something in my research?

SB

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20