Night waiver denied!

I sent them a "book" of information practically. I was approved in record breaking speed. I addressed each of the Performance Based Standards. I also have a night endorsement from Gold Seal UAV Ground school. www.UAVGroundSchool.com I think they offer a coupon in this thread. You will learn a lot!

So I really don't understand the FAA. I applied for a waiver to fly at night under my Part 107. I read their "performance standards" and addressed each point in my request. I included my use of a visual observer and my addition of anti-collision lights.

I also included my prior experience: 1300 hrs as a rotorcraft pilot, 1200 of this in Law Enforcement, 800+ as PIC, almost 700 hrs at night, more than half of that as PIC. We were based out of Hartsfield-Jackson in Atlanta, the busiest airport in the world. I also had to contend with busy airspace over downtown Atlanta with all the EMS, GA and other helicopters, as well as 3 Class D airports, one of which was an Air Reserve base.

If I'm not qualified to fly my Phantom at night, who is? The big thing that ticks me off is that in the denial letter, they just say I left out info, didn't follow the "performance standards," and that I should reapply with that info included. BUT, they don't say what was wrong or left out. Really???? How am I supposed to fix something when you don't tell me what's wrong? Can you imagine a school teacher saying that to a student? This work is wrong, but you need to figure out what you missed...ridiculous.

To top it off, there's no contact info in the letter or email to ask the person who denied my waiver any questions about it.

I'm trying to figure out what my next step will be. Anyone have good results with their waiver request for night ops that can give some insight?

Thanks,

Yaniv

Did you ever get the waiver?

I got mine approved recently. I also created a 20 question test derived from Chapter 17-Aeromedical Factors. I only created questions from the paragraphs that covered night flight.

I stated everyone involved in the operation would have to take the test and pass with a 90% and I would have the test on site if an inspector asked.

I also added a daytime inspection and handheld 2 way radio communication between the PIC and VO. I also specified that all operations would only take place in Class G airspace. Also, don't forget to describe what type and how your installation of drone light will improve the overall safety of the operation.

They also emailed me and asked for more information so I made a PDF of the test I created and sent it to them and clarified more on the how the safety of the op would be improved by following the task I outlined.

Message me if you'd like and I can go into further detail. Hope this helps.

Can you answers these questions: I got denied 5 times

Describe how the RPIC will avoid other aircraft during darkness.
a. What will they do if other aircraft are located during flight?
What procedures will be followed to ensure all the required persons participating in the operation have knowledge to recognize and overcome visual illusions caused by darkness and understand physiological conditions which may degrade night vision?
a. How will the RPIC and any other participants in the operation demonstrate knowledge about night operation risks, such as overcoming night visual illusions, limitations to night vision, and conditions that can affect night vision?
b. How will the Responsible Person verify the knowledge has been obtained and documented?

Can you answers these questions: I got denied 5 times

Describe how the RPIC will avoid other aircraft during darkness.
a. What will they do if other aircraft are located during flight?
What procedures will be followed to ensure all the required persons participating in the operation have knowledge to recognize and overcome visual illusions caused by darkness and understand physiological conditions which may degrade night vision?
a. How will the RPIC and any other participants in the operation demonstrate knowledge about night operation risks, such as overcoming night visual illusions, limitations to night vision, and conditions that can affect night vision?
b. How will the Responsible Person verify the knowledge has been obtained and documented?
If you take the Night Ops mini-course at UAVGroundSchool.com, you will receive a CFI-signed certificate that the FAA has routinely accepted as answers to these questions. Cost: $20

Reactions: BigAl07
Mine ended up being 13 single spaced pages plus a presentation. If you answer all their questions, you will eventually get it.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4