Night time.

Is that all lights or just the forward ones?
Thats just the forward Red lights. Your green ones stay on so you can at least locate your bird from time to time. They won't mess with your lens at all being in back. I think they are turned off by default btw. You can go in and turn this off if you want but then you got red glares here and there.

Exactly. 5-0 likes to buzz around in a couple of helicopters. The other evening I was flying & there was a guy a couple thousand feet over flying an Inspire. He must have had the nice one because it was all black. It was dusk & his lights were on & VERY visible. Mine were off. Guess which of us 5-0 spent 10 minutes observing & which one they never knew was there? :cool:

The Inspire guy must have been new & checking it out because he wasn't going far. Also I've heard folks comment Inspires are quieter than Phantoms but it sure seemed louder (& deeper) to me.

Makes sense flying in and around city or town. Thanks for the info. Appreciate all your input on this forum btw.

Exactly. 5-0 likes to buzz around in a couple of helicopters. The other evening I was flying & there was a guy a couple thousand feet over flying an Inspire. He must have had the nice one because it was all black. It was dusk & his lights were on & VERY visible. Mine were off. Guess which of us 5-0 spent 10 minutes observing & which one they never knew was there? :cool:

The Inspire guy must have been new & checking it out because he wasn't going far. Also I've heard folks comment Inspires are quieter than Phantoms but it sure seemed louder (& deeper) to me.
Awesome! Forgive me but what's 5-0? Cops? All black Inspire? Wonder if that was just a skin? My next bird will have an X5 camera for sure. Maybe on a super cheap older Inspire as soon as they announce new model.

It's WAY easier to fly a quad by visual reference at night. The lights provide orientation. In the day, beyond meaningless distances it's HARD. The which end is which problem. Do the FAA days no flying at night. For no reason. At least it's a "guideline" for hobbies. FPV makes flying WAY safer.

Sent from my SM-G920V using PhantomPilots mobile app

For missions like this taping off lights provides the recommended discretion:

DISCLAIMER:

Dirty Bird Videos creates videos out of sheer joy to demonstrate the amazing possibilities achievable with DJI's "Phantom" series quadcopter aircraft. These videos may be unsuitable for some audiences. Anyone meeting the following criteria is strongly advised to refrain from watching Dirty Bird Videos:

If you are a s-s-stickler for rules & always adhere to them, it is strongly advised that you do not watch. If you find yourself uncontrollably compelled to post comments about "breaking rules" whenever reading messages, watching videos, etc., do not watch. If you find flying beyond VLOS or at night disconcerting, do not watch! If you are upset by flying over houses, buildings, roads & bridges, vehicles, watercraft, spacecraft, Area 51, people, nesting eagles, & just about any other critter that swims, slithers, creeps, or crawls, do not watch! If you become upset when watching documentaries of predators catching & consuming their prey, do not watch! If you cry easily, do not watch. If you suffer from incontinence, IBS, or are a bed wetter, do not watch. If you do not believe the Honey Badger is one of the meanest MoFo animals on the planet, do not watch! If you like to play with live spiders, watching Dirty Bird Videos is probably safe, however, if any of the other conditions apply view them at your own peril! If this disclaimer has missed your specific issue & you find you have been offended in any way by viewing a Dirty Bird Video, immediately stop watching the video, do not view again, & don't tell anyone you watched! This is for your own sanity! In some instances Dirty Bird Videos may choose to provide a complimentary box of Kleenex tissues. No liability is offered for offense, mental or physical anguish, loss of appetite, projectile vomiting, or chronic diarrhea (AKA "the grizzly shits"), or spontaneous combustion, caused by viewing a Dirty Bird video. Dirty Bird Videos have been known to cause cancer in laboratory mice. Persons prone to epileptic siezures risk irreversible brain damage & are strongly advised not to watch. A small percentage of Dirty Bird video viewers have engaged in spontaneous seppuku. Dirty Bird Videos reserves the right to modify this disclaimer at any time.

Makes sense flying in and around city or town. Thanks for the info. Appreciate all your input on this forum btw.

Last edited:
Dirty Bird - good job, how did you deal with noise because it looks really good. I tried in twilight with my P3S and the noise was unbearable.

OMG just read your disclaimer - gold.

For night videos you don't notice & the 60 fps is worth it to avoid the lights blurring when yawing.

Never thought about that. it's a very nice tip! Will use it for sure. I didn't wanted to set it at 60fps since it is darker and you have to crank up ISO and shutter but with that in mind I think it can be worthy.

Nice video.:smiley:

Just left the camera set to Auto. At 30fps it chose ISO 1600 which is what you see & acceptable. If I recorded in 60 fps it jumped to ISO 3200 which was really bad on noise. Glad you liked the disclaimer. :cool:

Dirty Bird - good job, how did you deal with noise because it looks really good. I tried in twilight with my P3S and the noise was unbearable.

OMG just read your disclaimer - gold.

Great video. You have some serious flying skills and nerves to match. I'm guessing that was manual "point of interest" while descending? Do you fly with any transmitter boosting, i.e. amplifiers or directional antennas? That's a long way away to be flying behind buildings without losing the video feed, control or the quad.

That entire flight from the moment it lifts off is completely autonomous. I programmed it with the Litchi app. The only thing I do is press "Go" & land it at the end, though I could have it auto-land instead if I wanted. The aircraft I use for the majority of my flights is the completely stock & "lowly" P3 Standard. I bought a pair of them specifically for this purpose since the P3 Standard is less expensive but still possesses a great camera. It also gets a couple minutes extra flight time (compared to P3P/P3A) due to its reduced weight .

For the majority of the 7.2 mile flight the bird is out of contact & flying on her own. With a P3S I usually have RC contact for ~3000-4000' & then you are waiting for her to return. From prior flights I know the timing of the mission very well. I know where she should at any given time in the mission, how long the mission takes to complete, etc.. My P4 has now made this flight quite a few times now as well. The nice thing about the P4 is, while you don't maintain 100% contact throughout the entire mission (notably when it drops low as you are a couple of miles away), you do have contact at the higher points throughout the mission so you can keep tabs on things.

Pair of P3 Standards Purchased for Autonomous Missions:

39YNMMgP3cAXPeUHFUWdJ0A2qL6WDwcqQmSUfNOpPdmXwCK-0oj5orWVWiY0dTOlq1rx1sFKB-5pg4vCwbPHYd9ylynjiViiiYXseetnDaDO5kxGUlaG-SopgKPE8FcmQe-ZnyVPD4z3J5rqX3kIeyrBa-hj-xvhn9acNnud699i_SJx6hU4ySstvA9R2qLd8A5TxIiusR8VckPjNrj5FbrCS-SoiiZPqKxlj62-uoAghtGWOop1voOe8njgJefEAsBpYHJYvH1A7cV4Q8azLym6CfAO2MIpAM9ygOrIcSIXbn1W5KKcxQ4-9FR_EScggHDa9vlRClPXHGBVQpbZgh8j-Y5HOPlQowzJFV9Pu99HN277AwgpeXIGjinRKC8tNyJFr_tUnwdlxKvWprce83SeP_BTtp8IDCfbIvkfYgNCWvgVAq0JjEh0xwyNi-xrQcZZ-WoRVn-1ZOLFi9_-PIUzu-xTTINkDyvcdn_3owc6lMazATO0Fa8LIdgPXsOR8aoPbBpR8fWtak9QiwQm8kUwg7malIKRb_hqxV0aDhLStZXN3YilWaleR1Kr_rMTmCssE-LuIPun5pgKN8LflEXhtTLdQEFv=w1133-h637-no

IkrtIHC5vz0JCoiIw-XEN7cHOs0G_P6bIDmChMrJcZ4VveBODbShMqPDxOrndcsju6offbAtQmKZOnPvlu085Z_uQ-umIrDTW-5IxoPEht4Zm-PF8vChAeNYf81Yd5n5tn9tm5Kzyl26nU2udDHk0jKIW821Ul3Shv04l8XpLymJBiZccO52sDiFKmJ7LxataaMZMbS2PZLDUB_V_8tkoLOosh4DYw8o-BXW-waAK-hO7sYNt5DnIa-54dOO9dqOojpe0SxKIXzUho38dVWN8o6IyAJPtCBl8YFwMWCzw8ENUl9B7HpCMIvNEddUJlcFcNzH823bp3BZTtvDhZtRXNyaCdjN8o9kinOUNUA_kJI6p5Oe6zbyYkbFNdXCGZGvnrJ5kUYZdTOIbuJwwdvx3Gt77iplKBGxHyjjVJxtqycpTxek9cYQyiROfrKIQ7EyBXxFeRlSje5-dbFdVYgoKd-0du95JTIMCxBHKJGFfLRTVeUrctq5Duc51BmDK-Ml1SLT-pKGrWGi5hyJ2f1RNA92vs_Wtj5dA22-JhL2aD7SxS9Bu7xOQcuOEFeOU45FGmp6Pi2hvmgIC4dt_QMfD_DZTsKT4yhN=w1133-h637-no

Great video. You have some serious flying skills and nerves to match. I'm guessing that was manual "point of interest" while descending? Do you fly with any transmitter boosting, i.e. amplifiers or directional antennas? That's a long way away to be flying behind buildings without losing the video feed, control or the quad.

Last edited:
I'm starting to like the idea of a standard strictlyfor programmed Litchi missions, especially given the price of refurbs in the store right now. Gee! Why didn't I think of that!

Gee thanks. 11 multis and counting, apparently. My wife thanks you too! :D

Reactions: Dirty Bird

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj