Night time.

FCD

Reaction score
Hi guys. Is it legal to fly at night? I'm one of those people that likes to play by the rules. I was having trouble clarifying the issue. Thanks for the help

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

That was recorded with a P3 Standard. For night flights I set the camera to 1080x60 fps. You have to do that through Litchi as the Go app doesn't allow that setting on a P3S. For daytime flights I change to 1080x30 fps or 2.7Kx30 fps because I notice the P3S video is a little grainy/blocky in 1080x60 (perhaps because it isn't really designed to do this rez?) For night videos you don't notice & the 60 fps is worth it to avoid the lights blurring when yawing.

What res is this for upload?

That was recorded with a P3 Standard. For night flights I set the camera to 1080x60 fps. You have to do that through Litchi as the Go app doesn't allow that setting on a P3S. For daytime flights I change to 1080x30 fps or 2.7Kx30 fps because I notice the P3S video is a little grainy/blocky in 1080x60 (perhaps because it isn't really designed to do this rez?) For night videos you don't notice & the 60 fps is worth it to avoid the lights blurring when yawing.

I would think you'd want the 30fps at night for longer exposure. That's what I use on my P3A and seems to work out pretty well. Haven't had any night flights with the P4 because of the LA law that was passed last December.

However, since a trial was held where the defendant was arrested for night flying (amongst other violations) and acquitted, I might have to try the P4 at night with UHD settings to see how that looks.

Strange but lights moving up/down the sensor don't blur like they do moving side-to-side across the sensor. If you pan slowly it isn't bad but if you perform more aggressive yawing you will get a lot of blurring at night when running 30 fps. You can see this in some of my earlier night run videos & changing to 60 fps makes a big difference.

As to night flying all I will say is, "Black tape is your friend!" :cool:

I would think you'd want the 30fps at night for longer exposure. That's what I use on my P3A and seems to work out pretty well. Haven't had any night flights with the P4 because of the LA law that was passed last December.

However, since a trial was held where the defendant was arrested for night flying (amongst other violations) and acquitted, I might have to try the P4 at night with UHD settings to see how that looks.

Thanks DB. I'll try 60fps next time. And yes good idea for the tape :)

I picked up a big roll of black duct tape at Wal-mart. They have it in a bunch of colors. It's thick enough to block most of the light & won't fall off in flight. Don't press it on like you plan to leave it permanent though.

Thanks DB. I'll try 60fps next time. And yes good idea for the tape :)

I picked up a big roll of black duct tape at Wal-mart. They have it in a bunch of colors. It's thick enough to block most of the light & won't fall off in flight. Don't press it on like you plan to leave it permanent though.
Gaffer tape is even better it'll block the light completely and the PSA they use on it won't leave any residue. Pricey though!

Reactions: snowghost
Stunning video really want to try night flying. In the UK it is still light at 10.30pm so not much night flying at the moment. The joys of living so far North. Mind you the constant rain and gale force winds tends to interfere just a tad!

Thanks. The black duct tape works great. Totally opaque but you do sometimes have to wipe off a little residue.
Hey Dirty Bird, you are talking about this tape for earlier Phantom's aren't you? Because the Go App now shuts off lights as soon as hit record now.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr