night flying

Reaction score
who has done it?
and if you have, how is it?

I wonder if you are in an area where other people can see, if people think of it as a UFO checking in on earth. =)

I did on my 6th flight and it was cool, I flew at a park I was familar with. The kids were finished with soccer practice and could hear them commenting, no one was freaked out. One evening I will fly it from my home and the freeway is near, it may cause some people driving to think about what they just saw in the air. I don't want to cause an accident either so it will be a hi altitude flight.

I did on my 6th flight and it was cool, I flew at a park I was familar with. The kids were finished with soccer practice and could hear them commenting, no one was freaked out. One evening I will fly it from my home and the freeway is near, it may cause some people driving to think about what they just saw in the air. I don't want to cause an accident either so it will be a hi altitude flight.

Just did this over the holiday weekend. You need to be *very* familiar with the area where you're flying, because you can't see obstacles in the dark (trees, powerlines, etc). You can however see the Phantom very well, it's cool. Shows up extremely bright at night.

A video tip: Shoot in something like 720 x 30fps. Higher framerates make the shutter too fast / small and you can't see anything. We shot at 720 x 30fps, took her waaay up and did some really cool pan shots of the city at night.

I recommend night flying if you can do it safely. Shouldn't be ANYONE around you at all, and the more isolated the location the better. Take it up straight over your head, and when you come in for a landing, be in the same position. You shouldn't have any problems.

It's hella fun though :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Paul

I went late night on my neighborhood. I flew over a high school campus in front of my block. Not many people to get UFO sight neither cars at this time. Just take off higher straight up, then move far from lights, cables and telephone lines. Here is video:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIr3mpNRwtw[/youtube]

jumanoc, that night footage looks good compared to my sony's early evening time footage with some light in the sky. I need to try it at night and see if its as good and clear as yours. What gopro are you using? I do want to get the Hero3 Black at some point and have both the sony for its advantages and the Hero for its advantages.

freelanceshots said:
jumanoc, that night footage looks good compared to my sony's early evening time footage with some light in the sky. I need to try it at night and see if its as good and clear as yours. What gopro are you using? I do want to get the Hero3 Black at some point and have both the sony for its advantages and the Hero for its advantages.

Hero3 Black (it has better darkness level detail). Also helped no windy, moonlight, clear sky, slow stick moves (no gimbal yet) ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20