Night flying

Reaction score
It was a beautiful clear sky tonight. I was tempted to send my p3p up for a brief flight.
Is it ok to fly at night so long as you have a good view of your drone, or is there any technical reason you shouldn't.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

It was a beautiful clear sky tonight. I was tempted to send my p3p up for a brief flight.
Is it ok to fly at night so long as you have a good view of your drone, or is there any technical reason you shouldn't.
Flying at night is perfectly fine as long as you are flying under Section 336 all is good!

Reactions: Markjenkins5515

Ya it depends where you are. In Canada here flying at night is prohibited. But i have and caught some distant fireworks on video. I stay close tho and definitely within VLOS.

I'd like to add, on the P3 you can set one of the C buttons to toggle on/off the red front arm led lights. This is useful for both photography and seeing ur AC at night.

Reactions: ServiceCall
Yeah, I would be staying close as I am a bit of a newbie and would not be relying totally on my go app

Yeah, I would be staying close as I am a bit of a newbie and would not be relying totally on my go app
Agreed DEFINITIVELY stay within visual line sight and to be honest the P3P 4k camera doesnt have the best low light abilities. You definitely wont be flying home via FPV on ur display.

Reactions: Markjenkins5515

It depends on what country you are in.
It's illegal to fly at night down here in Oz.

Geez, what a great idea. Maybe I'll go out and fly my Quadcopter tonight in the dark so we can get even more laws created against us. It's irresponsible Quad owners like you that cause us responsible owners all the trouble.

Why would you blatantly go out and break the law? Don't we Quad owners have enough restrictions on us here in Canada already? Grow up will ya?

Bud

Ya it depends where you are. In Canada here flying at night is prohibited. But i have and caught some distant fireworks on video. I stay close tho and definitely within VLOS.

Reactions: info4tim
Geez, what a great idea. Maybe I'll go out and fly my Quadcopter tonight in the dark so we can get even more laws created against us. It's irresponsible Quad owners like you that cause us responsible owners all the trouble.

Why would you blatantly go out and break the law? Don't we Quad owners have enough restrictions on us here in Canada already? Grow up will ya?

Bud
Here are the laws from transport Canada's website:
Screenshot_20180929-093827_Chrome.jpg

To follow those rules to the letter, would i have to walk 76m away from my vehicle to legally fly? One could argue YES! Does that mean I'm an irresponsible owner? NO! It's practically impossible to follow those rules and ever be able to fly anywhere. Taking off on private property in the middle of the country, miles from any other people, going straight up 30m to see if the camera can actually see anything at night and returning home in less than 2 minutes does not make me an irresponsible owner .

Reactions: Basspig
If it is illegal to fly at night and you fly at night then YES, you are an irresponsible quad owner.

There's a lot I can't do with my three drones either but that doesn't mean I can blatantly go out and break the law. It's people like you that ruin it for the rest of us so don't expect any sympathy from this quadcopter owner.

Oh, and stop with the BULLCRAP You didn't need to go to 30 meters to see if your camera can "see" at night.

Here are the laws from transport Canada's website:
View attachment 103869
To follow those rules to the letter, would i have to walk 76m away from my vehicle to legally fly? One could argue YES! Does that mean I'm an irresponsible owner? NO! It's practically impossible to follow those rules and ever be able to fly anywhere. Taking off on private property in the middle of the country, miles from any other people, going straight up 30m to see if the camera can actually see anything at night and returning home in less than 2 minutes does not make me an irresponsible owner .

Because his location says "Canada." and......

He also wrote this.

I must have missed something....how do we know OP is in Canadian airspace?

If it is illegal to fly at night and you fly at night then YES, you are an irresponsible quad owner.

There's a lot I can't do with my three drones either but that doesn't mean I can blatantly go out and break the law. It's people like you that ruin it for the rest of us so don't expect any sympathy from this quadcopter owner.

Oh, and stop with the BULLCRAP You didn't need to go to 30 meters to see if your camera can "see" at night.
Not being a smart #$%, but I see no locations listed for anyone inbthe forums. Is there a setting or something I need to set. It would be nice to see locations.

Just look under the name of the member and you'll see a "Location"

Yours says, you joined on September 11, 2017 and you're in "Mabank, TX"

Bud

Not being a smart #$%, but I see no locations listed for anyone inbthe forums. Is there a setting or something I need to set. It would be nice to see locations.

Just look under the name of the member and you'll see a "Location"

Yours says, you joined on September 11, 2017 and you're in "Mabank, TX"

Bud
I am using my samsung 6 edge phone shows posters pic or avatar and name no other info. I can click pic get a lil more info but nothing on location. Must be something i can change will check on computer. Thanks for alerting me to this, will try to fix. Will be useful!

Perhaps that's the problem. Sorry you can't see the location but that's how I knew where you were.

The person that admitted he flies at night in Canada, his location shows up. He admitted to flying at night because he said he saw fireworks off in the distance so he was far higher than 30 meters. It is against the law in Canada and he's making it tough on all of us here by breaking the law.

Bud

I am using my samsung 6 edge phone shows posters pic or avatar and name no other info. I can click pic get a lil more info but nothing on location. Must be something i can change will check on computer. Thanks for alerting me to this, will try to fix. Will be useful!

Reactions: Basspig
If you come under the FAA jurisdiction, you can fly up to 30 minutes after sunset. You must have acceptable beacon lights. You must be within VLOS. If you want to outside of these boundaries, get an authorization to do so.

Reactions: Matchlock

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl