Next camera itteration

Reaction score
So, I've been playing with the settings on the p3p - 4k is lovelly but the 60fps on 1080p looks butter smooth when panning, tilting (, falling out of the sky).

I assume dubling the fps on the 4k side (from 30 to 60) uses a lot more processing power when taking the vid, else they would have made it available on the p3p.

Do we think 4k 60fps will see the light of day on the next GoPro / p3p v2? i.e. is that the next logical step (I know any future release info is just speculation)

A few searches suggests re-encoding a 4k recording into 1080p so its more playable yeilds better results than recording in 1080p in the first place as there is 'more data to begin with'. That maybe so for video with the same fps, but re-coding will not magically make a 4k 30fps turn into a 1080p 60fps...unless im mistaken?

cheers,
Matt

I think you're right on that last point.
You can't fill in the blanks if the original only has 30 frames per second.

But on the first point, given the amazing extra technology they've packed into the P3, anything's possible for future developments.
No-one expected the P3 to be this much more than the P2.
DJI have really pushed the evolution of aerial cameras and we know they are working toward a 4/3 sensor camera.
There are sure to be more good toys from DJI.
If it's possible DJI will probably be trying to implement it.

I doubt a good 4K/60p is possible. There simply isn't enough bandwidth in the imaging processor. As it is 4K/30p is pushing it. 2.7K/60p or 48p are the best modes for downsampling to 1080/30p or 24p respectively. You get a lot of detail and there is still enough headroom to handle compression intensive scenes like fast motion or water and grass without compression artifacts.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic