News Media use of viewers drone videos

Reaction score
Recently videos from the Hawaii volcano are in the News Media. When the Media gets the photographers permission to use the video I sure hope they are asking if the pilot has his 107. Wouldn't the News Media be in violation if they use video without the pilot having a 107?

Recently videos from the Hawaii volcano are in the News Media. When the Media gets the photographers permission to use the video I sure hope they are asking if the pilot has his 107. Wouldn't the News Media be in violation if they use video without the pilot having a 107?
If someone was flying under hobbyist rules and then gave the media the video, it should be OK as long as the original intent was for personal use.

If someone was flying under hobbyist rules and then gave the media the video, it should be OK as long as the original intent was for personal use.
"Original intent " is the big loophole. I believe it would even be ok for the drone operator to sell the footage as long as the "original intent" was personal use.

As already stated, if the operator was operating as a hobbyist the footage can later been used/sold to media outlets. Now if this becomes a "Pattern" as opposed to occasional situation the FAA might take notice a bit more. But even if they do get interested they still need to "prove" the operator's intent was not HOBBY and that's not easy to prove. Most likely they would rely on the operator to "slip up" during an interview . . .

The more important question is whether these pilots are allowed to fly the area at all. It is an area under evacuation and natural disaster. I would think that this area would be treated much like a fire and the airspace should remain clear for emergency personnel only.

The news uses peoples cell phone videos all the time. Al armatures.
I know that there are some drone specific rules about photos and videos, but I have at least a reasonable level of confidence that if it is news 'for the public good' everybody is legal.

The more important question is whether these pilots are allowed to fly the area at all. It is an area under evacuation and natural disaster. I would think that this area would be treated much like a fire and the airspace should remain clear for emergency personnel only.
I do see that there two no fly areas on the big island now. One is for 8 days and the bigger one is for 180 days.

Some of the videos that have popped up are no where near "Emergency Areas" so those issues would not apply.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl