Newbie trying to understand the laws and guidelines

Reaction score
Hi everyone! So I'm fresh on this scene with a P3S and I'm trying to take it all in and I have a couple of questions. I live by an airport (Lehigh Valley International Airport) and I want to make sure I don't break the law and do everything as responsibly as possible. I've downloaded the app Airmaps and I see that the spot I would like to fly and capture some footage is on the outside of the yellow circle on the Airmap app. I assume this is the 5mi diameter around the airport closest to me. So my question is, what can I do to fly and capture the footage I want in this area? Do I need to call the airport and get it cleared with them? I will be well under the 400ft rule and pretty far away from the airport so in my mind this doesn't seem like too big of a deal, but like I said I want to be safe and responsible.

Also, I wanted to make a video of the Christmas lights in my area, are there any laws I need to be aware of to film someones property? I figured it would probably be best to walk up and ring their doorbell and ask them if it is ok to fly around and capture footage of their lights. Has anyone ever done anything like this? Whats the protocol if you have (if there is any)?

If anyone could inform me or point me in the right direction as to how they assess each situation and what protocol they use I would love to know!

I'm flying just for a hobby. I googled it and called the airports tower and its more laid back than I thought. Told me to call back when I was ready to fly it. I think I'm realizing its better to just play it safe even if I don't plan on taking the bird that high. Thanks for the other info!

The first document states to not fly within 3 miles of an airport without prior notification and the second document states 5 miles.

Yes, the first is the General Safety Code and the second is for more restrictive & additional rules specific for sUAS's. Just as there are additional AMA sub-categories of Model Aircraft and specific rules for them. We would hope new people reading both documents would see this and know that anytime there are specific rules that might seem in conflict with general rules, the more restrictive rules applies unless it is explicitly written as an exception. And of course, since sometimes there seems to be two different rules that might apply, seek clarification. Heck, if we all understood all the rules and they were all crystal clear, there would not be a need for this section of Phantom Pilots. :)

The first document is severely out-of-date (2014).

I don't believe it is out of date but please show me a later one if you know of it. Both documents are in the content list at Academy of Model Aeronautics - New AMA Documents

I don't believe it is out of date but please show me a later one if you know of it. Both documents are in the content list
I know. It is part of their Membership Manual 2016, but that particular page section is dated January 1, 2014, long before the FAA implemented the current sUAS regulations. In my opinion, it should be updated.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31