Newbie question

Reaction score
I've been following this board for about a week which has helped tremendously in my research. I've decided on a Phantom 2 with gimbal as I already own a GoPro. So far I've learned a lot about the various options and add-ons. But I haven't been able to find an answer to this question anywhere.

With a Pantom 2, stock controller and GoPro, how to you control the drone if it leaves your line of site, like behind a building? Does the wi-fi enabled GoPro stream the video to an app on your phone? If so, doesn't that limit the distance and trump RC? Is buying a FPV rig the only option?

I know this is a probably a fundamental topic to you guys but I"m really confused.

extremetm said:
how to you control the drone if it leaves your line of site, like behind a building?

You don't :D

The 2.4GHz control frequency used by the regular P2 doesn't do well trying to reach around buildings and such. If you end up flying behind something like that you probably just have to wait a few seconds for the Phantom to realize it's lost control and initiate the RTH procedure.

The P2 you're getting doesn't have any control or FPV interface for a mobile device, that's only on P2V/P2V+. Also, don't ever fly with the gopro's wifi turned on, it'll drown out your control signal (they use the same frequency) as soon as the Phantom is 30-40ft away from the controller.

So, you need an FPV video downlink system. These are available from various m-fers, including DJI - The AVL58, while the most popular is the Immersion 600mW.
You pair either of these to a monitor and receiver. Again, loads of choice here, but the Black Pearl monitor with built in dual diversity receivers works very well and can be ordered with its own internal battery, so it's a very neat system. Just make sure you get the version that matches the TX - your FPV store can help with this.

You will probably also want some better antennae than the stock ones supplied, probably pinwheel or clover leaf, but patch and helical are also worth considering.

The range of the FPV is about the same as the control signal, but because of the variety of equipment available, this is not a given.

If you fly out of site, the best advice is to climb, so you can see the bird again, then use the Return to Home or Home Lock to bring the quadcopter back into easy viewing and regain full control.

If you lose the R/C signal, the quad is programmed either to land where it is (Very dodgy) or to fly home, after ascending to 20M. Some people use this feature all the time, but it relies on good GPS (As does Home Lock), so if you lose good GPS, then you can be in trouble. That's where practice comes in and you learn how to fly without GPS, working out the quad's orientation etc. and then fly home.

Just remember that in the UK and US, you must be in visual contact at all times. If you opt for goggles (Fat Shark or similar) over a monitor, then you should have a competent observer keeping the bird in view at all time.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1