Newbie Observations and Questions

Reaction score
Hi, everyone. I just signed up. Got my Phantom Friday and I wanted to share some of my observations with you and ask a couple of questions.

My Phantom appears to be a newer version. I was not prepared for this: two of the propeller nuts are reverse threaded. I'm sure that's to keep them from loosening under the constant spinning. Has anyone else seen this? It's really kind of cool, and a good idea if you ask me. Should I still check them before every flight, or do you think that this ensures I won't have to? Also it came with 4 pairs of propellers. I thought that they typically only came with three pairs. One thing that concerns me is that, contrary to the online videos, the throttle stick returns to center on my controller. I was under the impression that it would be all sorts of angry with me if I started the Phantom with the throttle at anything other than all the way down. I flew the Phantom in my living room in ATTI mode with no issues, however.

A couple of quick questions: if I lift off before the Phantom records a home position, what will it do in failsafe mode? Also, if you zero out the throttle the motors shut down. If I'm trying to descend quickly and zero the throttle, am I in danger of the motors shutting off in flight, or does it have logic to only shut off when not moving?

I've read about flyaways, so I put my phone number and e-mail address on the side. I also bought a locator and put a locator tag on my Phantom in case it gets away from me. It seemed like cheap insurance.

Looking forward to chatting with you all!
-The Don

I think its a good habit to check your nuts as a regular pre flight check, the reverse threads is a good idea and should help avoid nuts spinning themselves loose but the few seconds it takes to check is better then having a nut come off and picking up your phantom pieces after it crashes. A 3 prop quad is a guaranteed crash so not really the place to save a second or two.

The throttle spring I dont have and personally would remove it as I like to fly manual mode and a spring throttle is only a good idea in gps or atti mode. Seeing 50% is hover it wont lift off in central throttle and you also need to arm the motors first before takeoff.

If you dont record home lock and lose radio range or go into failsafe this obviously wont come back, it only takes a few seconds more to set home position. I find it hard to understand why you would want to take the risk of no failsafe to save a couple seconds. Home position will be the last known home position most likely so if you lose radio and flying from somewhere different you can kiss your phantom goodbye.

The manual says never to set throttle below 10% as it may shut down the motors, in gps or atti mode very low throttle descents are so unstable I see little point in doing this. If you want fast descents for sportier flying just fly in manual mode where you can drop very quick without needing to throttle down to nothing.

Your last paragraph I find funny that you have taken measures to help in case of a flyaway, yet at the same time seem to want to save a couple seconds risking loose nuts and not saving home position. A loose prop equals crash and no home position guarantees a flyaway to a different location in failsafe. Taking a little care ore flight is the cheapest insurance is it not?

Have fun flying and wish you all the best.

martcerv said:
I think its a good habit to check your nuts as a regular pre flight check

Well, I wear boxers and loose fitting pants, so I should be OK.

You misunderstand my meaning. I don't intend to ever fly without locking in home first. My concern is that I don't know if there's a way to tell if home is locked in. In theory, if I have 6 or more satellites for ten or more seconds before takeoff then home is locked in, but I would feel safer if there was an indicator that home is saved rather than having to assume it is because the conditions are met.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl