Newbie looking at P3-What laptop requirements

Reaction score
Hi Looking to buy my first Drone and looking at a used P3 standard or if budget allows the advanced. Is there much difference between the two? Also looking to buy a laptop or notebook but wanted to know what sort of processor speed and memory will i need when i come to editing videos i have taken?

Hi Looking to buy my first Drone and looking at a used P3 standard or if budget allows the advanced. Is there much difference between the two? Also looking to buy a laptop or notebook but wanted to know what sort of processor speed and memory will i need when i come to editing videos i have taken?
Depending upon your needs, the P3S may be all you need. I have a P3S and couldn't be happier.

The Advanced will go farther, however, as it uses the DJI Lightbridge technology which carries control and video in the same 2.4g signal. The P3S uses wi-fi to carry the video and 5.8G radio for control.

And the camera on the Advanced is capable of 4K.

Here is the link to an article I referenced prior to purchasing my P3S.

Differences Between All Four DJI Phantom 3 Models? | MyFirstDrone

Since the last guy answered the question about the AC, the other question was what laptop/notebook.

You have some basic questions to answer:
  1. How much money can you spend
  2. What program will you use to edit the video
  3. 4K or HD
  4. Windows or Mac
I can't answer the money part, so moving right along...

If you already have video editing experience, then go with whatever app that is. I like Adobe Premiere, but that's not a cheap option. DaVinci Resolve is very good and there used to be a free version of it. On the Mac, Final Cut Pro is good too. On the lower end of the price scale, you have Adobe Premiere Elements, PowerDirector, and Vegas Movie Studio. If you don't have experience with video editing, watch some YouTube videos for the video editors and see which one appeals to you.

Do you plan on doing 4K videos? The Phantom 3 Standard is 2.7K or a bit better than HD. To do 4K, you'll want a higher resolution screen or HDMI out that can drive 4K. You'll also want the faster CPU and a decent GPU.

Windows or Mac? While that can be largely a personal OS preference, all things considered equal, a Mac will cost more than a Windows laptop. For the most part, you can get the same apps on each OS. I use a Macbook Pro for my laptop and Windows for my desktops. Your mileage may vary.

For a Windows laptop, the Dell XPS 13 are powerful and light. HP also makes some decent ones. Personally I found that you can get really good deals by calling the HP sales line towards the end of the month. They get very aggressive in terms of making deals. You don't need a touch screen for video editing, so be willing to sacrifice the touch screen for more memory. Ideally, you would want an i7 (or better) with 32GB of RAM and a 512TB SSD drive. The 32GB is the hard one to hit for laptops, so the sweet spot will be 16GB of RAM. Video chews through memory, get the 16GB.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wwa