Newbie here .. need help about regulation flying zone

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Newbie here, as i want to activate my drone again.. it;s been a while since i played last time ( about 6 month ago ).

In about next 2 month i will travel to UK, Scotland, Ireland and Iceland.

It will be great .. if you have any tips or comment, specially with regulation flying zone.
And if you have any experience in airport how you handle your drone .. please let me know

Cheers

For the UK there is an app "drone assist" this app is supported by NATS, the national air traffic controller and details all the no fly and danger areas.
Like many countries we have a 400ft altitude above take off limit, remain in VLOS, and stay away from congested areas,people and buildings. There are restrictions for flying on National trust land and they own a huge amount of land and coastline which would normally be ideal.
Airports, I have never had a problem, but check your carriers details, and the batteries must be hand luggage.
Personally I fly away from the public as much as possible.
Scotland is UKand has some amazing flying locations, but in 2 months the weather will probably be cold wet and windy.Northern Ireland is UK and has same rules, but I believe Southern Ireland has more onerous regulations. Good luck on your trip.

Reactions: Antonius Fernand
Thank Jay for your sharing, that is briliant!

i've been so nervous that i was thingking to left my drone behind

With regulation on uk..i don't need to get a licence, or i need to register my drone?

And with uk .. pretty much i just want to get on Scotland. I heard they have amazing view..

In airport checked, do i need a safety bag for battery ?

No licence or registration required in UK, I usually put my battery in a Lipo safety bag. Check with your airline to see what rules they have. I have liability insurance cover in UK and europe, this is not required by law, but it is not very expensive.
I have never had any problems at airports, never even had my bag inspected.

Reactions: Antonius Fernand
Brilliant mate .. thanks heaps for your help!

So with insurance .. did you apply when you planning to uk ? or just for safety like a regular insurance ..?

Safety bag definitely will on my wish list for travelling with drone ..

Cheers!

For the UK there is an app "drone assist" this app is supported by NATS, the national air traffic controller and details all the no fly and danger areas.
Like many countries we have a 400ft altitude above take off limit, remain in VLOS, and stay away from congested areas,people and buildings. There are restrictions for flying on National trust land and they own a huge amount of land and coastline which would normally be ideal.
Airports, I have never had a problem, but check your carriers details, and the batteries must be hand luggage.
Personally I fly away from the public as much as possible.
Scotland is UKand has some amazing flying locations, but in 2 months the weather will probably be cold wet and windy.Northern Ireland is UK and has same rules, but I believe Southern Ireland has more onerous regulations. Good luck on your trip.

Hey, just to confirm re 400ft limit this is above take off altitude right? So I could take off from a hill and fly over the drop and keep at the same height whilst the land drops away?

Hey, just to confirm re 400ft limit this is above take off altitude right? So I could take off from a hill and fly over the drop and keep at the same height whilst the land drops away?
Incorrect, 400' above ground level (AGL). You can fly higher if you are within 400' horizontally from an object as in you can fly up the side of a mountain as long as you are close enough to it.

No worries actually I looked on the CAA site and yeah it's 400ft above ground level not take off so sorry Nightwolf you're correct. Obviously the same rules in the UK & US.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl