Newbie here, I would love some verification of my interpretation of the hobbyist pilot rules.

Reaction score
I have flown small quads up until now either in my house or maybe 30-40 ft AGL max, so I have ignored the UAS rules for the most part. I plan on buying either a Phantom or a Mavic soon, so I figured brushing up on the rules before hand would be a good idea.

This is when it got frustrating, I had a really hard time finding the right information in the beginning. The legalities of flying UAV's has turned out to be fairly complex, which I believe needs a little work on the part of the FAA. I want to fly my craft legally and safely so I am putting in the time to try to understand this but there are a lot of lazy individuals that will be very put off about the work involved in understanding where you can and can't fly. That is a discussion for another time though.

Today is the first time I have ever looked at a FAA chart so I am sure I am reading it incorrectly, please let me know if that is the case.

Here is a picture of the place I will be flying. (Imgur) I've marked it with a green arrow.

So here is my understanding of the rules and the FAA chart. I obviously cannot fly into Cairns Airfield (OZR) or into Ft. Rucker's airspace. Cairn's and the immediate area are classified as Class D airspace with a Class E extension that goes down to the surface. There is also a Special Use Airspace Alert for the surrounding area warning of military helicopters training at low altitudes. Since I live within 5 miles of Cairn's and Hanchey I should be contacting them to let them know I will be flying while also be very conscious of incoming helicopters. This applies to flying during the week (Mon - Fri.)

Hanchey's tower isn't active on the weekends, so I will just need to contact Cairns and let the know where and when I will be flying. The Special Use Alert is only active on the weekdays as well. The helicopter traffic is also drastically reduced on the weekends (mostly just test flights for maintenance purposes.) I feel like flying on the weekends here will be much simpler and also much safer for the pilots that are training.

Another place I plan on flying is a park in Enterprise (it's a little to the left of Shell Heliport on the chart.) The park is within five miles of the Enterprise Airport but they're closed on Sundays. Since there is no one to there to contact on Sundays can I just go fly at the park? I obviously will still keep a keen eye out for incoming helicopters and I will keep it under 200ft AGL.

I know this post is long but I am trying to get a grip on how to do this. I actually work at one of the military airfields so I am pretty familiar with when test flights are be conducted, what areas each type of helicopter usually flies in, what altitude they usually fly at, etc.

Lastly, is there any reason to go for my part 107 license if I am not doing any commercial flying or should I just stick to the hobby side of things?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Welcome Zintoatree.

If you have any questions try doing a search first by clicking the magnifying glass top right. You might find your question has already been asked and it will save you a lot of time. If you can’t find an answer, then just post the question.

If you want to check your spelling, put your cursor over the word with a red line under it, click once right and choose the correct spelling.

If you haven't already done so, please consider adding your LOCATION to your forum profile to help us know where you are when you post suggestions or ask for assistance. It helps a lot more than you might think especially because this is an international forum with members are from all parts of the world.

Enjoy the forum.

Reactions: BigAl07
My recommendation... if you are flying within 5 miles of an airport... call them prior to the flight anyway. That is the requirement... not notify them only if they are open. Many will have an answering machine and you can leave a message if needed. In some cases you can call ahead of time and perhaps work out an ongoing arrangement if you plan on flying often in the same area.

If you are only flying for hobby there is really no need to obtain a 107 license. It does allow some benefits but it will place more restrictions then it releases.

Reactions: DKG13CC and BigAl07
Welcome to the forum @Zintoatree .

Reading and understanding the FAA's rules can be a daunting task even for those who are totally immersed in it day in and day out let alone just getting started.

@tcope gave the best possible answer above. It's always better to err on the side of caution especially when dealing with Aviation.

Part 107 isn't an end-all and if you do decide to go that route (I don't see a benefit to it in your case at least at the moment) you can still fly under Hobby rules when you're not exercising your privilege to Part 107 flights. You merely determine which set of rules you're going to fly under prior to flight and maintain those for the duration of that flight. One thing to note is you can not Mix/Match Hobby/107 rules on the same flight. For instance: You can't launch an aircraft in "Controlled Airspace" as a hobbyist (hobbyist notify only if within 5 miles of an airport Part 107 must request and get authorizations) and then suddenly switch over to Commercial Flight rules. When you launch under a set of rules you must execute the entire flight under those specific rules.

Check out this website for some "Easy to understand" (for the most part) details and graphics:
Know Before You Fly

Also keep in mind that any sUAS weighing more than .55lbs must be registered with the FAA prior to taking flight "OUTSIDE". When you go to register be sure you are doing it through the FAA's website (.ORG or .GOV web address) or you're at a 3rd party entity and you're doing to pay more. It's only $5 for 3 years so if you're paying more, you're paying for something other than "just" registration.

Below is the portal where you'll want to sign up and also where you register your aircraft:
FAADroneZone

Safe flights :)
Allen

My recommendation... if you are flying within 5 miles of an airport... call them prior to the flight anyway. That is the requirement... not notify them only if they are open. Many will have an answering machine and you can leave a message if needed. In some cases you can call ahead of time and perhaps work out an ongoing arrangement if you plan on flying often in the same area.

If you are only flying for hobby there is really no need to obtain a 107 license. It does allow some benefits but it will place more restrictions then it releases.

You're right, the more I think of it the more it makes sense. I would be basically covering my *** in case of a bad situation arises.

Thank you for the info @BigAl07

I actually already have my registration number from a while back, I just never really used it because I was mostly flying micros at the time.

I have another question, what would be the best way to find the number for a military tower? I will more than likely do some beach flying in Mexico Beach, FL which is just south east of Tyndall. I won't technically have to call anyone here because I am more than five miles from any airport and I would be outside of the Special Use Airspace for Tyndall which is SFC to 10,000 AGL. I really doubt I would have problems running into one of the jets flying all of 100-200 ft AGL, but it would still be nice to know if they're doing any weekend training the day I would be flying.

Thanks for all the help.

I use the app called HOVER. I'm not sure if it lists #'s for military towers or not but it's worth a look to see.
Others who has ran into this situation will probably have better advice re:Contacting Military Towers.

Good luck and SAFE Flights :)
Allen

I use the app called HOVER. I'm not sure if it lists #'s for military towers or not but it's worth a look to see.
Others who has ran into this situation will probably have better advice re:Contacting Military Towers.

Good luck and SAFE Flights :)
Allen

I'll check it out, thank you for the help .

Lastly, is there any reason to go for my part 107 license if I am not doing any commercial flying or should I just stick to the hobby side of things?

Just to get this out of the way before proceeding. The main advantage of using my 107 is so I don't have to notify any Class G airport when flying within 5 miles of them.

Now to the meat. here's the Hobby rule:
When flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation.
It's a very clear (IMO) rule.

A few things you may be not clear about, based on what you've written:

1. You must notify an airport even if the tower is closed. You have mentioned Hanchey tower being closed weekends. While the official FAA airport data shows "MILITARY REMARKS: Opr Mon–Fri 1300–0700Z‡ exc hol. See FLIP AP/1 Flt Haz Fort Rucker. " and "TOWER 141.3 289.15 46.95 (1300–0700Z‡ Mon–Fri exc hol)" That doesn't mean KLOR is closed outside of said times. It's very rare for an airport to be actually closed in the FAA term. Not to confuse "closed" because of weather, runway delays, etc.

2. You must notify Heliports that are within 5SM.

3. Enterprise (KEDN) is NOT closed on Sunday. It's just not attended. Meaning that someone (Manager or Operator or Attendant, etc) of official capacity is not on the field then. You must still notify the airport operator.

4. The Alert area and MOA area, legally, are ok to fly in, both hobby & 107. Use caution though. You can contact the controlling agency to see if they are "Hot".

5. The Restricted area's R-2103A&B are not ok, either hobby or 107. Never.

6. You mention Cairns Airfield (OZR) / Ft. Rucker's airspace. Let's not confuse FAA airspace with Military Base (land) airspace above it. If you are not within the boundaries of the military base/land, then it should be ok. Ft. Rucker is on the list of 14 CFR) § 99.7 – “Special Security Instructions military areas so you're right about not flying over it.

7. Hobby does not get concerned about Class of airspace (disregarding the debate on Class B flying / notifying). No need to worry about Surface Class E extensions, etc.

Any concerns to the above?

Just to get this out of the way before proceeding. The main advantage of using my 107 is so I don't have to notify any Class G airport when flying within 5 miles of them.

Now to the meat. here's the Hobby rule: It's a very clear (IMO) rule.

A few things you may be not clear about, based on what you've written:

1. You must notify an airport even if the tower is closed. You have mentioned Hanchey tower being closed weekends. While the official FAA airport data shows "MILITARY REMARKS: Opr Mon–Fri 1300–0700Z‡ exc hol. See FLIP AP/1 Flt Haz Fort Rucker. " and "TOWER 141.3 289.15 46.95 (1300–0700Z‡ Mon–Fri exc hol)" That doesn't mean KLOR is closed outside of said times. It's very rare for an airport to be actually closed in the FAA term. Not to confuse "closed" because of weather, runway delays, etc.

3. Enterprise (KEDN) is NOT closed on Sunday. It's just not attended. Meaning that someone (Manager or Operator or Attendant, etc) of official capacity is not on the field then. You must still notify the airport operator.

4. The Alert area and MOA area, legally, are ok to fly in, both hobby & 107. Use caution though. You can contact the controlling agency to see if they are "Hot".

5. The Restricted area's R-2103A&B are not ok, either hobby or 107. Never.

6. You mention Cairns Airfield (OZR) / Ft. Rucker's airspace. Let's not confuse FAA airspace with Military Base (land) airspace above it. If you are not within the boundaries of the military base/land, then it should be ok. Ft. Rucker is on the list of 14 CFR) § 99.7 – “Special Security Instructions military areas so you're right about not flying over it.

7. Hobby does not get concerned about Class of airspace (disregarding the debate on Class B flying / notifying). No need to worry about Surface Class E extensions, etc.

Any concerns to the above?

I have an absolute insane amount of helipads around me, but most are just stage fields with no aircraft launching from them. Can I just contact the fields that actually launch aircraft? For me that would be Knox, Hanchey, and Cairns for my house and Enterprise, Shell, and Lowe for Enterprise . Who exactly am I calling at the fields? Some of the military fields are hard to find numbers for .I do have an advantage as I can physically go to the field and ask around.

Thanks for the help .

Just thought I'd through in my 2 cents on something that seems in context with this thread. I've placed a lot of blame on the FAA for the current "drone situation". This is yet another good example. They were _years_ late with coming out with any easy way to contact airports. When they did, it was an app only and not online. Even what they have online is terrible right now. DJI had an online search _years_ before the FAA did. You'd think it should be easy enough for a government organization in charge of airports to come up with an easy way for people to call an airport. But no... most people seem to rely on 3rd party apps as they are much better.

What I will say is that it appears the FAA would rather leave this in the hands of a commercial company to do what the FAA should be doing. I get that. I know it is done in a lot of situations. But that should make it even easier for the FAA to make this an easy process and it's _still_ very difficult.

IMHO the _real_ reason why the registration was created was to allow the FAA to push information to drone users (and to create a user funded way to pay for it). There were/are a TON of better ways to get this done.

Airport notification, NFZ, military areas, Class B airpprts (which I still don't agree is different).... there could be a much better way to handle all of this.

I have an absolute insane amount of helipads around me... Can I just contact the fields that actually launch aircraft? .

Yep, there are a boat load of them around you. :( Unfortunately you are not able to know when they are landing / taking off / etc. Sucks, I'm sure. Best way I know is to use either B4UFly (Caution - Latest version 4.0 seems to show NM distance, not SM for hobbest) or AirMap app as they will list the phone #'s and AirMap will do electronic notifications for certain airport towers (but not always the Operators - found this out). I don't know the definition of a "stage field". Try the best you can. That's all you can do.

There is also the FAA A/FD (Airport Facility Directory) Airport/Facility Directory – Advanced Search where it'll give you all the airport info including phone numbers.

Reactions: Kejoal11
AirMap will do electronic notifications for certain airport towers (but not always the Operators - found this out). I don't know the definition of a "stage field".

Unless something has changed (and I'm not saying it hasn't) that "Feature" was only testing and not LIVE. I've not needed to utilize it myself so my information could be dated. I'd like to find out for sure one way or another . . . .

Pardon if this is a dumb question, but is that a term for something else, or are you saying 5 square miles? I always assumed you had to notify heliports within a 5 mile radius, but wasn't exactly sure.

Pardon if this is a dumb question, but is that a term for something else, or are you saying 5 square miles? I always assumed you had to notify heliports within a 5 mile radius, but wasn't exactly sure.

STATUE Miles

BoatSafe.com

Reactions: Wilbur
Unless something has changed (and I'm not saying it hasn't) that "Feature" was only testing and not LIVE. I've not needed to utilize it myself so my information could be dated. I'd like to find out for sure one way or another . . . .

I believe it only works on certain airports.

So I got my quad today and it wasnt a Phantom or a Mavic. I grabbed the little Spark for now. I'm going to try it out tomorrow after calling everyone. Thanks for all the help everyone.

The option is available in the Twin Cities, but you just get a text that tells you to call . . . so it's kind of pointless here at least.

Frankly the whole process is a burden beyond belief. I have no less than 27 helipads within five miles of my local AMA flying field. And a class C airport of which the AMA field lies inside of at 4.3 miles. So I have to spend a hour or so contacting all these so called airports/helipads many that have nobody to answer the phone or in the case of the one real airport an angry controller all the while watching the RC soaring/thermal guys flying well in the range of 500 feet AGL with no requirement to notify anyone. Seems a little unfair to me as hobbyist. All thanks to the unfounded fears of the general uninformed [Derogatory Comment Removed by Moderator] public and their fear of the word drone. Anyone looking for a barely used P4?

Frankly the whole process is a burden beyond belief. I have no less than 27 helipads within five miles of my local AMA flying field. And a class C airport of which the AMA field lies inside of at 4.3 miles. So I have to spend a hour or so contacting all these so called airports/helipads many that have nobody to answer the phone or in the case of the one real airport an angry controller all the while watching the RC soaring/thermal guys flying well in the range of 500 feet AGL with no requirement to notify anyone. Seems a little unfair to me as hobbyist. All thanks to the unfounded fears of the general uninformed [Derogatory Comment Removed by Moderator] public and their fear of the word drone. Anyone looking for a barely used P4?

The RC guys have the same requirements because they are also flying sUAS just like you. The only exception is if they have an existing Letter of Agreement (LOA) with the airport. The law makes no distinction between your "barely used P4" and the RC guys. If you are a member of their club you can also fly from there so long as you follow their club rules.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4