Newbe - Flying Over Crowds

Reaction score
I am new to drones, and to this forum. I have spend hours watching u tube tutorials and used same to make myself an awesome set of an updated user manual. I do not live anywhere near any of you and so I am not governed by health and safety rules and regulations of Europe and America. Having said that, I am 63 years old, and I am not about to go endangering my drone, jeopardising my proposed livelihood and endanger my fellow man. I have read, understood and agree with all the universally accepted and understood rules, regulations with ref no fly zones, flying conditions and safety aspects of owning a drone.

My concern is that I have been asked to video school type activities and events - involving crowds of people, participants and spectators. I have read a few postings about flying over crowds, and the one point coming across very clearly is that this is strictly a no no.

I have not given an affirmation that I would do the video, but may I ask what the general feeling is among like minded safety conscious pilots to the aspect of flying over crowds, what would be considered an acceptable insurance undertaking to the school, the crowd, a safe flight altitude etc.

Directly above the crowd probably would not offer the best perspective anyway. I would think you could accomplish the mission by observing the activity from outside the crowd's perimeter. An orbit may be worth considering.

In most cases you need to be "in control" of the crowd. If you can demonstrate that you are, and you have taken all necessary precautions, and depending on local laws - it may be OK.

In the USA you cannot and shouldn't fly over crowds without a waiver from the FAA, Last I heard the FAA has only granted 1 such waiver.

A safety conscious pilot would tell you it's generally not a good idea, regardless of insurance. Insurance only protects you against monetary claims. Were something to happen, you could damage the image of this hobby/profession and have criminal charges to deal with. I don't think there is a "safe" altitude, the opposite of up is down.

Hi Guys, Thanks for your supportive feedback. I do have third party liability insurance, and I have asked after their own insurance cover. I have advised the school of the universal undesireability of flying above crowds and given the school all the reasons for not doing so. They are fully aware of the risks involved. If I go ahead with this, I was thinking of Point of Interest type circular video - well above and well away from spectator crowds, so I am capturing only participants from an angle.

Reactions: Philltayl
Okay, lets kill this thread, I have the information I was looking for. I have decided to give the mission a miss. Microlinux makes several very convincing arguments. It really is not about the money - although I am trying to get a new career up and running, the $ 50. 00 or $ 100.00 gained for the mission, or the $ 5000.00 medical expenses cover is not worth the trauma of a young 15year old girl going through plastic surgery and the replacement of a healthy functional eye with a new expressionless unresponsive synthetic unit. All for the price of a short lived ego trip of owning and exhibiting a drone. The risk is just too high.

Even with a good insurance you should think about possible issues caused by YOU. Imagine there is a rare bug which will drive your drone crazy and it will fly into the crowd damaging several people. Imagine the news that some teenager lost her eye, some teenager got his fingers cut, someone even died. First, insurance will pay probably for that but I would assume you are breaking the legal rules and the insurance will try to not pay. Second, do you think someone will ever hire you with such major incident history even not caused by you? I doubt. Third, can you live with the fact that you damaged someones live for whatever small amount of money you get for the job? I doubt you will get a $1M for the job. To me flying over the crowd is always a NO and either the client will accept it or has to find someone else who takes the risks.

Hi Pporozin, You are wholly correct. The financial reward in miniscule compared the associated repercussions should anything go wrong. Having lived the better part of my life almost unscathed, I would hate to be the cause of someone younger, with their whole life ahead of them, scarred , maimed or disfigured. I do not have the right / authority to do that to anyone else. Hence my decision to call it a day and if the school wants to continue, even with this information, as I will be passing this information on to them, the final decision will be theirs. I will also point out that although the RPA industry in starting to take off in the country, their decision stands a very good chance of jeopardising the whole industry and the future of the industry.

For what it's worth, many years ago I flew RC fixed wing aircraft on the public display circuit. £10 million third party insurance required. Also at least 50 meters from crowd line. Flying over the crowd would get you banned and have your display rights revoked.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl