new to this, need help

Reaction score
Hi, just bought and used phantom 2 vision model, the camera was removed, I plan to run my go pro... it will come with a gimble and extra battery.

How can I run FPV - I would like to use fatshark glasses if I can... what are my options ? I have tried looking not he web sites its pretty confusing what I need.
my quad should be running on 5.8. somewhere I read it is possible to change the transmitter on the quad to 2.4 ?

if you have a link that helps to.

hi, welcome... I'm afraid you've taken the most difficult possible route here... Phantom 2 VISION series were designed to run with the Vision gimbal/camera only, it's not exactly easy to "convert" it to a separate gimbal/gopro.

You're correct that your remote control operates on 5.8Ghz so therefore you shouldn't put in 5.8Ghz FPV... you could pretty easily put in 2.4Ghz FPV transmitter, but I'm not sure any 2.4Ghz receiver/displays to recommend.

you ask "is it possible to change the transmitter on the quad" ... for remote control, the transmitter is actually in the RC and the quad is the receiver... so if you want to convert the quad to "operate" on 2.4Ghz (like the non-Vision series Phantom 2) you're going to be opening up the quad, completely disassembling it, replacing receiver boards and other sensitive equipment, and you'll have to buy the 2.4Ghz version of the remote control (the DJ6). That task is MUCH easier said than done!

Are you sensing yet that you're going to be spending a lot of time and money doing this conversion? :) I'm not sure the exact numbers but I suspect they're going to offset any cost savings you got buying a used P2-Vision with no gimbal ...

I would crunch some math you may be better off just selling a working P2V with no gimbal (assuming you test it properly so you know it's working) and then go get what you ACTUALLY want/need which is a P2 non-Vision series on which you can easily add a gimbal and 5.8Ghz FPV.
or just get a Vision gimbal/camera but it sounds like you prefer the gopro which is indeed way better

David2676, Welcome to Phantom Pilots.
QYV, Very well done explanation of his problem.

David the factory camera like qyv explained is the only way that the vison series phantoms have fpv out of the box

Mind uploading a few pics of the gimbal you have now so we can see it to

I currently have a p2v with a broken gimbal but with a working camera(need a replacement gimbal)

If you want to change it to have 2.4ghz flight controll to be able to use 5.8ghz fpv equipment. Your going to have to find a 2.4ghz reciver board for it. They are about $58 and as mentioned above it involves taking the phantom apart and also you have to remove the main board to get to it. THO the easiest way to do that is to unscrew the motors and the escs and the screws that hold down the board and then you can get to the 2 screws that hold in the receiver board. Then you have to put in the new rx board also run the two included new antennas down the holes in the legs were they existing 2.4 antennas are. Then put every thing back together again. Then you need to get a 2.4ghz transmitter. Tho they are easier to find. and the newer model thats out with the built in rechargeable battery and pitch control for a gimbal is about $99 THEN if you want to have fpv you need to pick and choose what fpv stuff you want to have to transmit the video to your fat shark or have receiver.and monitor to view it on. and more then likely you would probably want a gimbal to mount the camera on to.

J.James said:
and the newer model (RC) thats out with the built in rechargeable battery and pitch control for a gimbal is about $99

correct, I'm about to buy one. however the original DJ6 controller is only $25 these days. just sayin :)

correct, I'm about to buy one. however the original DJ6 controller is only $25 these days. just sayin :)

am I new the old ones were cheaper but $25 is pretty cheap. in that case one could even be modded to have a built in rechargeable lipo or even buy on of the drop in ones thats out now and add a pitch knob as well as a pitch speed switch and even a nice voltage display then still have a nice tx on the cheap. Plus still even buy the rx board for the price of one of the new model controllers.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20