2015-10-04 15.46.44.jpg
    650.5 KB · Views: 1,571
  • 2015-10-04 15.46.11.jpg
    2015-10-04 15.46.11.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1,623
  • 2015-10-04 15.45.34.jpg
    2015-10-04 15.45.34.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,623
Dude this is awesome! Thank you for taking these pics.

It turns out the the shell I ordered to replace my cracked original shell is the new style. I reinforced it, but maybe I didn't need to.. Oh well, better safe than sorry.

Could you show pictures of the motor screw holes from the bottom. I have noticed through looking at all the photos on this site of cracked holes that they look like image #1. I have never seen a pic of a crack on image #2. Just curious if the new shell design has these embossed radiuses on all the holes and on all the arms. Believe it or not these pics are from the same P3P with half embossed holes only on two arms which was strange! I never took it apart to see how it looked inside. It decided to take a swim so I don't have it anymore :( And my new drone has all holes like Image #1. :((

Image #1
IMG_1366.JPG

Image #2
IMG_1365.JPG

It does make me wonder if the shell has been redesigned what is the need for the different motor with the flatter base?

My P3 does NOT have any embossed holes at all. There are no doubt several different moulds being used and multiple cavities so it could still be just a small number were effected.

Last edited:
I will have to update the post again. Found a couple more older shells and there has been at least 3 iterations.
1st had small vents and sqaure holes where the legs meet,
2nd had larger vents and the little half circles cut out where the legs attach, but same bracing inside the arms, but had solid motor tabs
3rd has the larger vents, half circles at where the legs attach and pointy motor tabs with X bracing

Could you show pictures of the motor screw holes from the bottom. I have noticed through looking at all the photos on this site of cracked holes that they look like image #1. I have never seen a pic of a crack on image #2. Just curious if the new shell design has these embossed radiuses on all the holes and on all the arms. Believe it or not these pics are from the same P3P with half embossed holes only on two arms which was strange! I never took it apart to see how it looked inside. It decided to take a swim so I don't have it anymore :( And my new drone has all holes like Image #1. :((

Image #1
View attachment 32811

Image #2View attachment 32813
I have an 2nd gen shell with those halos on half the arms, the other half has no indents.

It does make me wonder if the shell has been redesigned what is the need for the different motor with the flatter base?

My P3 does NOT have any embossed holes at all. There are no doubt several different moulds being used and multiple cavities so it could still be just a small number were effected.
Even with a flatter base on the motor there will be NO extra contact patch between the motors and shell.

Even with a flatter base on the motor there will be NO extra contact patch between the motors and shell.
I agree with this. But it is my opinion and want to know if you agree that the new motors were used for production capacity issues only as DJI has stated, but they look like they are of lesser quality. i.e... thinner housing, weaker top bearing support and most of all it appears they have a smaller shaft diameter.

Thanks for posting the pictures. Something tells me the "new" she'll I purchased isn't "new" at all. I bought a replacement shell when they where on back order, a couple of months ago.

I agree with this. But it is my opinion and want to know if you agree that the new motors were used for production capacity issues only as DJI has stated, but they look like they are of lesser quality. i.e... thinner housing, weaker top bearing support and most of all it appears they have a smaller shaft diameter.
I wouldn't be surprised. Probably had a better quote from a motor company. We will see if the "new" motors hold up. With no change in rotor size I wouldn't have though going to a Lower kv motor would be necessary. I suppose because the boost in voltage maybe they feel the 900 kv motors spin too fast? The slower everything goes the less precise the manufacturing has to be. Maybe by going to 800kv they can get away with cheaper props and shells etc. Just speculating on my part.

Reactions: JB-I
Well DJI just had my unit for a month for stress cracks and they sent it back to me with the same identical shell that cracked. It's back there now for other DJI inflicted issues which happened during the RMA process and I'm demanding a new unit with the latest shell design.

Reactions: JB-I
This shell story would make a great afternoon soap opera-- As The Shell Turns-- :D:D:p:p

Reactions: Jbundy63
So it seems there are 4 versions of the Phantom 3? I have version 2

Version 1: old motors and 1st gen shell Version 2: old motors and 2nd Gen shell
Version 3: old motors and 3rd Gen

version 4: new motors with 3rd Gen shell

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Well DJI just had my unit for a month for stress cracks and they sent it back to me with the same identical shell that cracked. It's back there now for other DJI inflicted issues which happened during the RMA process and I'm demanding a new unit with the latest shell design.

WOW, how can they be that incompetent! That has to be very frustrating.

I wouldn't be surprised. Probably had a better quote from a motor company. We will see if the "new" motors hold up. With no change in rotor size I wouldn't have though going to a Lower kv motor would be necessary. I suppose because the boost in voltage maybe they feel the 900 kv motors spin too fast? The slower everything goes the less precise the manufacturing has to be. Maybe by going to 800kv they can get away with cheaper props and shells etc. Just speculating on my part.

Go to the standard page and see how many people are complaining about stress cracks. I couldn't find any. New shell, new motors, maybe a combo of both but they seem to be holding up. I didn't notice any difference at all in performance between the too. Only thing I thought when I first got my p3a was that it actually seemed less noisy than the p3s with the new motors

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31