New Rules from CASA

Reaction score
casa_email_header.png

New recreational drone rules
20 October 2017
CASA announced today new stronger and clearer rules for flying drones to help drone flyers operate with increased safety.

The new rules will better protect people and aircraft from drones and have been developed in response to community concerns about drone safety and the rapid increase in the number of drone operators.

They do not apply to all drone flyers. If you hold a remote pilot licence (RePL) and operate according to a remotely piloted aircraft operator certificate (ReOC) or have an authorisation from CASA, you will be exempt from the new measures. Model aircraft operating under CASA approvals are also exempt.

These new interim measures also make it clear that operating drones near a public safety or emergency operations is not permitted. CASA has also launched a new website called droneflyer.com.au that explains key safety rules for recreational drone flyers, using easy-to-understand language and clear and simple information graphics.

Droneflyer.com.au complements CASA’s Can I fly there? free mobile app, which helps recreational and sub-2 kg drone operators fly safely by providing practical information about where they can and can’t operate.

For specific details on the new measures and about flying drones commercially, visit www.casa.gov.au/drones

Can;t see any changes that affect Phantoms

Reactions: Stevedots
Yeah I read that yesterday and apart from a humorous typo (you can fly over people...) that was corrected later in the day, no real changes to the way we hobbyists operate, except for no flying over people at all removing the grey populous areas that had some confused.

Yeah I read that yesterday and apart from a humorous typo (you can fly over people...) that was corrected later in the day, no real changes to the way we hobbyists operate, except for no flying over people at all removing the grey populous areas that had some confused.
And they specify no binoculars or goggles.

I thought it was always clear it was VLOS with unaided vision.
It has always been like that, my take was that rather being bogged down with 'populous' areas, the definition is 'flying over people' or similar which may be interesting as many people are transiting over populated areas on a Litchi mission or taking off and flying to a spot for some filming or free flying.

It has always been like that, my take was that rather being bogged down with 'populous' areas, the definition is 'flying over people' or similar which may be interesting as many people are transiting over populated areas on a Litchi mission or taking off and flying to a spot for some filming or free flying.
The part I found most interesting was the don’t fly over private property without permission.,..,

The part I found most interesting was the don’t fly over private property without permission.,..,
Good luck enforcing that when I fly at 120 mtrs at 50 kph and am in CASA's airspace and over someone's property for 2 seconds. If I am flying over substantial property areas and want to to film a large dam or some of the agricultural areas down my way, I ring first as that is the right thing to do. For residential areas, unless they happen to be looking at the sky when I pass by, they wouldn't know I'm there. Another reason not to live in the city.

It was always VLOS but I didn't think they specified unaided before?
It was there in the definitions, VLOS “Keeping the unmanned aircraft in visual line of sight at all times unaided (except for prescription glasses or sunglasses) without the use of binoculars, telescopes or zoom lenses”.

Good luck enforcing that when I fly at 120 mtrs at 50 kph and am in CASA's airspace and over someone's property for 2 seconds. If I am flying over substantial property areas and want to to film a large dam or some of the agricultural areas down my way, I ring first as that is the right thing to do. For residential areas, unless they happen to be looking at the sky when I pass by, they wouldn't know I'm there. Another reason not to live in the city.
Same here
I live at a pretty much out of town beach so I'm not too worried about it.

Yeah I was thinking whAt has actually changed? Nothing really aye

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj