NEW RECORD {update} [video is up] 6.09km... 3.8mi !!!

Re: NEW RECORD... 16,543ft... 5.04km... 3.1mi

Thank you for the time and excellent information. It's much appreciated from a guy getting 2k lol

LMC said:
DBS U broke my record. I'm Jason Lee :lol:

HOLY CRAP!!! Dude you have been a target in my radar for weeks ... Hahaaaaa... I called you names before I went to sleep... I sent text messages to my pilot buddies with the screen shot of the leaderboard "I don't know who this Jason Lee guy is but I hate him already... HE'S GOING DOWN!!!"

but it was all in good fun bro... All for motivation and to keep my head in the game for getting things done to prep the Phantom etc...

I was tied for second place for awhile there and I just can't deal with that in my big fat head :lol:

And now the dude himself shows up in my thread... nice to meet you sir... you gonna take another shot at a long one? I'm all jacked up about seeing some competition... still have a few more ideas up my sleeve as this is only my second build for Phantom long range...

I gadda show my wife this thread ... she's heard your name around here a few too many times recently. .. :lol: :lol:

DBS said:
LMC said:
DBS U broke my record. I'm Jason Lee :lol:

HOLY CRAP!!! Dude you have been a target in my radar for weeks ... Hahaaaaa... I called you names before I went to sleep... I sent text messages to my pilot buddies with the screen shot of the leaderboard "I don't know who this Jason Lee guy is but I hate him already... HE'S GOING DOWN!!!"

but it was all in good fun bro... All for motivation and to keep my head in the game for getting things done to prep the Phantom etc...

I was tied for second place for awhile there and I just can't deal with that in my big fat head :lol:

And now the dude himself shows up in my thread... nice to meet you sir... you gonna take another shot at a long one? I'm all jacked up about seeing some competition... still have a few more ideas up my sleeve as this is only my second build for Phantom long range...

I gadda show my wife this thread ... she's heard your name around here a few too many times recently. .. :lol: :lol:

I lost my P2V+ 3 weeks ago. :cry:
Now I play my P2 .
SO u don't worry ! :twisted:

Question for you wild men. I saw a video if a fixed-wing Bixler go 10000 feet high. Think the Phantom ever will?

JWarren said:
Question for you wild men. I saw a video if a fixed-wing Bixler go 10000 feet high. Think the Phantom ever will?

I dunno... I've never done the math on ascent/descent speeds... It wouldn't be me that's for sure... I don't mess with altitudes too much ... seems like the higher flights get more negative attention with all the crap going on in the news and I don't wanna add that to our end of the hobby... and it's harder to plan on the wind at those heights cuzz you just can't tell what's going on up that high :|

Hi, i was wondering what dji firmware are you using currently?

DBS said:
Did some more antenna modding last weekend... finally decided to mod a little bit on the Phantom itself... still using everything stock and stock antennas... just moved them a little bit so they are pointing in the right direction for FPV

Video here...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-1HlDJcPlw[/youtube]

Screenshot from flight or it didn't happen right?
a6994232-65-Screenshot_2014-08-06-06-33-47.jpg

Ended up on top of the Flytrex leaderboard for P2V+ long range... pretty sweet for an old guy like me
a6994236-66-Screenshot_2014-08-06-07-26-17.png

I still gots more range in this baby... never lost control signal... never lost video feed... never hit RTH... Returned to base with 25% battery remaining... looks like there'll be some more attempts in my future...

DBS - long range junky as usual! Awesome job!

jason12 said:
Hi, i was wondering what dji firmware are you using currently?

3.0 sir

Jayson Hanes said:
sorry that I'm late to the party, Chuck -- but congrats man! that's pretty freaking cool!

Now I'm thinking about downgrading from 3.06 to get back some max tilt angle fun...

Thanks Jayson... yeah bro... get it downgraded and bring it back out to the flats on Sundays!!!

Maybe some Vision + drag races to the school and back? :twisted:

dragonash said:

THE DRAGON!!! Thankyou sir... What's up man?! ... been awhile since we were kicking around with the AR Drones huh? ... Those were good times though ... such an active and huge community over there back in the day... I remember you were selling your stuff back when I was... What you flying now bro?

LMC said:
Now I play my P2 .

****... bummer bro.... sorry to hear that for real...

What happened? Flyaway or something else? Any lessons we can learn from your loss?

My condolences bro... :ugeek:

DBS said:
LMC said:
Now I play my P2 .

****... bummer bro.... sorry to hear that for real...

What happened? Flyaway or something else? Any lessons we can learn from your loss?

My condolences bro... :ugeek:

I made a big mistake ! :cry:
Follow wind go , against wind back home ! :cry:
I think 70% power can back home far from 3.3KM .
But I wrong !

DBS said:
dragonash said:

THE DRAGON!!! Thankyou sir... What's up man?! ... been awhile since we were kicking around with the AR Drones huh? ... Those were good times though ... such an active and huge community over there back in the day... I remember you were selling your stuff back when I was... What you flying now bro?

haha. The AR Drone was the perfect introduction to the quad market. I managed to get everything sold and even made some money from it. (I had gotten my original ar drone for free). So it all worked out!

I'm flying the FC40 and already got the TP-link MR3040 (i think thats the model) router. I modded the router to take a 7db directional antenna and I just threw on the walkera 3-axis gimbal

Come a long way, right? lol

I am wishing I spent the money to get the phantom 2 and zenmuse gimbal, but I'm glad I got the FC40, because I could learn from it and better understand how a gimbal works and stuff.

DBS i got some questions.

I was flying today and got out +-6000ft to test new antennas i made for the RC on 25mW.
As i have to use FT instead of KM due to the fact that after 2000m the app goes to " Distance n/a " its all a bit confusing seeing then large numbers.
So the bird went out with headwind @ a speed off +- 15mph on GPS mode. Headwind 7mph. After a wile i set the bird on ATTI and got some 25mph keeping a close eye on the altitude. It went out of RC range due to the 25mW but when returning it flew also on ATTI and got 52mph, it was back fast leaving enough juice to take it for a walk in the neighborhood.
My question is: Whats your point of return ? i mean battery level wise ?
Ok this mission was far from dangerous ( for the moment ) but what are the things to consider about when determining how far it could go to get home safe ( if there is any guarantee anyway ).

LMC said:
I made a big mistake ! :cry:
Follow wind go , against wind back home ! :cry:
I think 70% power can back home far from 3.3KM .
But I wrong !

Ouch... that is a hard lesson to learn... I have a very strict rule NOT to fly deep range when there is any wind at all ... so hopefully I eliminate that variable from my equation... we live and learn right?

dragonash said:
haha. The AR Drone was the perfect introduction to the quad market. I managed to get everything sold and even made some money from it. (I had gotten my original ar drone for free). So it all worked out!

I'm flying the FC40 and already got the TP-link MR3040 (i think thats the model) router. I modded the router to take a 7db directional antenna and I just threw on the walkera 3-axis gimbal

Come a long way, right? lol

I am wishing I spent the money to get the phantom 2 and zenmuse gimbal, but I'm glad I got the FC40, because I could learn from it and better understand how a gimbal works and stuff.

Definitely come a long way... but I still get "stuck on stupid" with the "range junky" stuff... just can't get it out of my system...
Good plan with the FC40... better to learn something than have it prepackaged for you and never know how it works or what to do when it doesn't.

ToThePoint said:
DBS i got some questions.

I was flying today and got out +-6000ft to test new antennas i made for the RC on 25mW.
As i have to use FT instead of KM due to the fact that after 2000m the app goes to " Distance n/a " its all a bit confusing seeing then large numbers.
So the bird went out with headwind @ a speed off +- 15mph on GPS mode. Headwind 7mph. After a wile i set the bird on ATTI and got some 25mph keeping a close eye on the altitude. It went out of RC range due to the 25mW but when returning it flew also on ATTI and got 52mph, it was back fast leaving enough juice to take it for a walk in the neighborhood.
My question is: Whats your point of return ? i mean battery level wise ?
Ok this mission was far from dangerous ( for the moment ) but what are the things to consider about when determining how far it could go to get home safe ( if there is any guarantee anyway ).

Hard to answer that one with this bird... but I did some figuring on this last flight... I found a point on Google Earth that would meet or exceed the longest flight I had seen here on the forum... I made a strict rule NOT to try it if there was any wind as we have seen in the post above it can be a hobby ending decision... I figured if I got to 50% battery before I hit my mark I would immediately turn and head home... In a zero wind situation you should use less battery on the return if you keep a steady momentum and descent rate ... descending slows the motors and uses less juice ... worked on that last long run ... Used 40% battery on the way out but only 34% battery on the way back even though I was moving a bit slower due to the reduced motor speeds...

So I guess I call it 50% until I prove myself wrong (and I hope I don't)...

Any and all of this info has to be coupled with zero and I mean ZERO wind influence... wind can't be calculated at the higher altitudes necessary for long flights... and it is variable... so a 7mph wind can be 12mph ten minutes into the flight ... and that can really throw off any planning you've done and it's too late to correct...

I mean look at what LMC was saying above... He left 70% battery for his return , which should have been way over what is necessary , but lost his baby on that moment he made the decision... there's just no way to give an educated guess on remain time when one of the factors keeps changing along the route.

I live in a very lucky area for this type of flight... Florida flatlands early in the morning... if there is no wind for an hour or so before sunrise then it will stay that way until the sun gets up off the horizon a ways and starts causing convective currents... if there is wind coming and going before sunrise I turn off my boosters and practice proximity flying or do waypoints or whatever... sometimes it is weeks before I launch one and send it down range just because I've been waiting on weather.

DBS said:
Did some more antenna modding last weekend... finally decided to mod a little bit on the Phantom itself... still using everything stock and stock antennas... just moved them a little bit so they are pointing in the right direction for FPV

Video here...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-1HlDJcPlw[/youtube]

Screenshot from flight or it didn't happen right?
a6994232-65-Screenshot_2014-08-06-06-33-47.jpg

Ended up on top of the Flytrex leaderboard for P2V+ long range... pretty sweet for an old guy like me
a6994236-66-Screenshot_2014-08-06-07-26-17.png

I still gots more range in this baby... never lost control signal... never lost video feed... never hit RTH... Returned to base with 25% battery remaining... looks like there'll be some more attempts in my future...
Number 5. Lol. If you don't mind me asking, can you post a picture on what you did to the phantom?

Kag49601 said:
Number 5. Lol. If you don't mind me asking, can you post a picture on what you did to the phantom?

Not a problem for a homie up in Cadillac land :D

In this pic you can see antennas were removed from inside the battery bay... and back there on the right you can see the coax from this rear antenna routed straight up to the wifi module on top of the main board... rear antenna needs a MMCX male to female extender pigtail to make the length... or if you have the soldering skills you can rewire one antenna for this rear location to avoid the multiple connectors adding weight and cable loss to your dB ratings ... I used what I had laying around for now but I have a cable coming that will make this more "perfect"... front right of battery compartment is Flytrex 2.0 with slot cut out for SD card access while the battery is removed

20140805_114250_zpsqtlkwfil.jpg

Side View here on the back... The gangsta lean... The tilt is to compensate for how much the Phantom tilts while flying forward so the antenna is still facing flat front to the control point... don't wanna have all my 100mw boost just firing up into the sky :cool:

This doesn't have to be perfect ... The patch has a huge beam width but , like the extender , it is best to have the flat front pointed at the source...

Ran the cable down the side... drilled a hole at the spot where the cable has its original right angle MMCX connector so it stays tight against the phantom body... A glob of hot glue there to keep everything in place with vibrations or whatever...
20140805_114214_zpsq6sbylgz.jpg

The front... The easy one... When removing the antennas you will have one with a long cable and one with a short... use the short one here... it is perfect... scuff the Phantom body with sandpaper... clean with alcohol... Big glob of hot glue finishes the job... done deal

20140805_114106_zpsjnnm8gen.jpg

For the record, does a flight have to be roundtrip? 16.5k feet is more than 3 miles, so this majestic bird flew 6+ miles, including the return.

Is the purpose of the return trip to cancel effects of wind? I'm guessing a one-way, controlled trip of 33,000+ feet would be a record, but in its own category?

(My personal best is about 75 feet. I hope to push that to about 80 feet. Someday...)

Clipper707 said:
For the record, does a flight have to be roundtrip? 16.5k feet is more than 3 miles, so this majestic bird flew 6+ miles, including the return.

Is the purpose of the return trip to cancel effects of wind? I'm guessing a one-way, controlled trip of 33,000+ feet would be a record, but in its own category?

(My personal best is about 75 feet. I hope to push that to about 80 feet. Someday...)

huh??

Clipper707 said:

Hahaaaaa.... good luck on your 80ft.... lemme know if you need a spotter :mrgreen:

Return trip is for a couple reasons... When the fixed wing guys first started doing these long range flights with early FPV ... you had to make it home... There was no point in a mission where you have to ditch somewhere just to prove a point... and you were a "*****" for doing stuff like that... then the quad guys got into it more and there was cheating of course... so the return trip with video of the launch site was further proof that "this is where I took off from... This is where I'm still standing on return" ... showing proof that you weren't just following the bird in a car or something ... that would be cheating.

So long range flights have gotten to be that way... "useful range of transmitter and receiver combined with battery capability to achieve longest mission" ... it ain't a mission unless the boys make it home ... and the more proof the better.

Screen shots ... GPS data ... Google Earth images ... and video showing return to home point , always help the pilot avoid getting stomped on the forums for exaggerating the story or just completely fabricating results...

There is a whole nuther category of flyers who just wanna know "how much distance can this thing cover on one battery charge" ... guys doing this usually follow behind the craft in a chase vehicle... but I dunno bro... that whole thing never really "took off" like the long range mission stuff... you can tell by doing a youtube search which one gets the competition going.

There's nothing like standing out in the open somewhere and sending your newest build deep down range and having it come back in one piece with a new personal best distance to go home with... :ugeek:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20