New pilot, first flight

Reaction score
As a new phantom pilot I would love a bit if advice.

I have a phantom FC 40
The 5.8ghz camera sending video straight to my Samsung galaxy note 2.

I had my first flight today, calibrated the compass waited for maximum satellites, etc. I noticed during the flight that in GPS mode there was a little bit of drifting, even though there was no wind. I had configured the third position of S1 as "return to home", so decided to try it out, the drone came back landed no problem.

The second flight I decided to go a little higher and faster, but this time releasing the sticks the drone did not return to hover, realising it was not responding I applied opposite control sticks still no response, flicked S1 to failsafe and again nothing happened the drone continued towards the ground, crash landing in some very long grass. So lucky one prop bent and a bit of lost pride but no other damage.

My questions are

1. Could my phone mounted on my controller have interrupted the signal?

2. Is there a chance I have not calibrated the compass correctly, would that have caused the drifting.

3. Why didn't the failsafe kick in when it went out of range?

4. Is there anything I should do to prevent or try to prevent this happening again as I was very lucky I got away with minor damage.

Many thanks for your help.

I have suspected that my Galaxy causes interference and I leave it switched off.

Maybe the cause - maybe not, but I have had no troubles since I leave it switched off.

Thanks for the reply, just seen my phone operates on the 2ghz and 5ghz wifi bands, seems pretty close to the Phantom frequencies

Hi Paul,

Yes - they are.

I think the only safe way to get FPV is the Fat Shark route - anyway, I cant see a dam thing on the Galaxy screen when flying so I gave up the Galaxy.

Anyway, if you are using a GoPro you don't really need to see FPV because of the wide angle pics they take.

Try downloading GIMP - its a photo processing program that is really very good.

I took this pic of the Talyllyn railway and used GIMP to enhance.

You can remove the GoPro wide angle distorts too.

Fantastic photo! I couldn't see a **** thing on the galaxy screen either even with the brightness turned up, I think I'll stick to the line of site view

I use a samsung Galaxy 3 for the pictures with the phantom fc40. Still would like to see what i shoot, but i have mine in flightmode, with wifi on.

Only have the phantom shortly, stories like this keep me from going actually high... haha

Musicman said:
I use a samsung Galaxy 3 for the pictures with the phantom fc40. Still would like to see what i shoot, but i have mine in flightmode, with wifi on.

Only have the phantom shortly, stories like this keep me from going actually high... haha

Mentioned before - but there is very great difficulty in seeing the image on the Galaxy in daylight. I had thought of putting a big black sack over all of me and the galaxy to block off any light :lol:

Actually i have been using the samsung with a gameclip and the PS3 controller for my Parrot AR for about 1.5 years, i don't have that problem.... could always see it very well. Same with the Phantom, can see it pretty good. Too bad the reaction time of the fc40 camera is slow. not really to use as a guid when flying close to things. But that's ok.

What I've heard is that as the FC40 RC is on 5,8ghz and video on 2,4ghz the range of RC is much much lower than what it is with Phantom 1 and 2. Did your Phantom show that it had full GPS lock? Sometimes you get a good GPS lock when you take-off but while in the air loose it. If this happens your Phantom will fly in the wind and if your even 200meters away from the FC40 it might be out of RC range (atleast thats what I've heard). Other thing is that if you have lost your orientation of the FC40 you might be still controlling it, even though you believe it does not follow your controls.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl