New Phantom

Reaction score
Hi. New to all this and I feel a little wary when having little knowledge about RC flight, in fact RC anything.
However, I do want to share my two weeks experience with my new (bought on a whim) Phantom.
I saw a vid on you tube, by accident, of some footage over a football stadium... 'I have to do that' I said to myself. Well, shock horror when I discovered how much it would cost and how much skill you would need to build one of those things. I then stumbled on another video showing the Phantom with a gopro.
I did a bit of research and decided that I would go for it. It did say you could fly it out of the box!
It arrived the next day. I watched the DJI vids, I watched them again. I assembled my machine and charged the batteries.
I took it to some spare ground, It fell over on take off a few times then got into the air. I took it up high and landed it!
Next day, brimming with confidence, I decided to have a hover around my back garden. MISTAKE! It would not hover. It attacked me and I ditched it against a wall.
Some scuff marks but it seemed well. I tried again. Same result, another crash. Again no real damage.
I decided to watch the DJI vids again. HA ha, I saw the error of my ways!
First problem with the videos is that they don't emphasise the importance of the start up time, where the Phantom sorts itself out. I presumed after a minute all was well and ignored the flashing lights.
Less than 6 Sats is not good!
I took it out again! Got it up but drifting.
I hooked it up to the website and did an advanced calibration etc. I just followed the instructions. A piece of cake!
I took it out again. I did not realise how long it took to sort itself out before the lights went out!
I did a compass calibration and guess what? It flies like the one that you see on the official videos!
So:
Do advanced calibration new (you don't know how much it has been thrown about during shipping).
Do a compass set up.
Wait until all lights are showing what they should (check out DJI website)
Second thing wrong with the Videos is that they don't show how basic errors can affect the performance and create a disaster.
I would love to write a basic start up procedure for DJI that would save them a lot of hassle!
Off you go!

Good post 1 LIKE from me.

BTW, they will NEVER show you the Phantom crashes or create a disaster. ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers