New P3A arrived - something doesn't match instructions and videos

Reaction score
Hi, a really dumb noob question here... my P3A arrived this evening. I need to put the propellers on. It says to match propeller nut color with the motor axis colors. Well, the motor axis colors are all silver. And those little stickers on the motors don't help because they all fell off in the box. I do see in a video that it shows 2 axis are black, 2 are silver, but that's not what I have. What's going on? (I'm mainly just curious, as I'm sure I can figure it out without the color by thinking about it carefully. But, this is weird.)

Sounds like you may have gotten two wrong motors. If they all spin the same (same motors) it will not fly.
Two have to spin in the opposite direction.

See if the silver hub prop fits all four motors. If it does, then it has two of the motors wrong. Two go on clockwise..the other two counterclockwise.

I see... 2 of the axis's have a tiny black dot in the center, unlike in the video which shows the entire axis being black. They thread on in opposite directions... good! They changed the wrench style too... its this plastic thing that squeezes around the motor to hold it still, not what's pictured or in the video. And it arrived with the plastic shipping thingy around the camera not actually in place (was in another part of the box like it was put there on purpose). Okay... hopefully that's all the discrepancies and this thing will fly once I have daylight. Wish me luck!

By the way, I'm surprised by how heavy this is. Having played around with an AR Parrot before, which is feather light, this thing feels like a brick. The AR Parrot actually survived an 80 foot fall after hitting a tree, since it is so light it fell slowly. I'm guessing an 80 foot fall with a Phantom is a bad idea!

I see... 2 of the axis's have a tiny black dot in the center, unlike in the video which shows the entire axis being black. They thread on in opposite directions... good! They changed the wrench style too... its this plastic thing that squeezes around the motor to hold it still, not what's pictured or in the video. And it arrived with the plastic shipping thingy around the camera not actually in place (was in another part of the box like it was put there on purpose). Okay... hopefully that's all the discrepancies and this thing will fly once I have daylight. Wish me luck!

By the way, I'm surprised by how heavy this is. Having played around with an AR Parrot before, which is feather light, this thing feels like a brick. The AR Parrot actually survived an 80 foot fall after hitting a tree, since it is so light it fell slowly. I'm guessing an 80 foot fall with a Phantom is a bad idea!

Please, I'd love to see photos of the new stuff!

"plastic shipping thingy", are you referring to the gimbal clamp?

Yep, the P3 will suffer alot more damage than a lightweight drone. Arms can get bent from a 8ft fall!

Ah, our Parrot AR Drone 2.0 is not even in the same league. ;-)
Welcome to the Phantom 3 Family! ;-)

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
Reactions: D4T_PoM
Please, I'd love to see photos of the new stuff!

"plastic shipping thingy", are you referring to the gimbal clamp?

Yep, the P3 will suffer alot more damage than a lightweight drone. Arms can get bent from a 8ft fall!

Yes, gimbal clamp! That's what happens when I try to remember the names of things without having the instructions in front of me at the time.

Speaking of falls, how concerned should I be when landing it at various places? Grass/dirt/asphalt are my usual choices, most of which are not perfectly flat and level. The old Parrot was good at landing on pretty much anything as long as the grass was not too high. I don't want this to tip while landing.

Yes, gimbal clamp! That's what happens when I try to remember the names of things without having the instructions in front of me at the time.

Speaking of falls, how concerned should I be when landing it at various places? Grass/dirt/asphalt are my usual choices, most of which are not perfectly flat and level. The old Parrot was good at landing on pretty much anything as long as the grass was not too high. I don't want this to tip while landing.
Level surface, not dirt, and learn to hand catch for times when there are no level surfaces available.

Level surface, not dirt, and learn to hand catch for times when there are no level surfaces available.

That could be tricky then. Maybe I should carry a drop cloth with me to place on the take-off and landing spot? I'll be taking this to my recreational property in Maine (to try to find places within the land that could also make decent view locations once cleared)... other than the trees, I have logging roads and a cleared (dirt) building site to launch from.

By the way, I think I figured out what's going on with my original question... it looks like I have the new motors I am seeing discussed in another thread. So, that's why it doesn't match up.

When I fly, I bring this:

Folding Table 4' Portable Plastic Indoor Outdoor Picnic Party Dining Camp Tables - Walmart.com

That way I am not hunched over the ground and I have a good spot to take off from. Landing is hand catch. If you hand catch, do not CSC to kill the motors. Just hold the throttle to zero till they shut off.

Oh nice, that could work well. I have a similar table that doesn't fold up quite as compactly as it is for home use. It is still going to be slightly tilted though no matter where I put it.

Very interesting about the new shaft changes. I have a friend that has a P3A arriving today. I am going to send him a message to be on the look out for the possible new changes.

Thanks for the heads up.

I can try once I'm back at home (and if I remember). Okay, I'm new to this board... do we upload pictures directly here, or link to them on photobucket, or both?

You have to host them somewhere I think. When you click the add pic button it only seems to have a URL as an option.

I can try once I'm back at home (and if I remember). Okay, I'm new to this board... do we upload pictures directly here, or link to them on photobucket, or both?
Welcome to the forum, Porc!
To post pictures you can click on the Upload a File button next to post reply, and select a picture from your camera roll. Have fun with your new bird!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl