New here and thinking about Phantom 2

As to the learning curve - getting the basics is pretty easy, but I'd suggest going out the first time with an experienced user. I took two friends out with me last week and one of them has done simulators previously, the other has no experience with anything like this. Both over 50 years old. Both were doing basic maneuvers after a few minutes of "instruction" from me.

That said, I would be sure to read the user manual a few times, read posts here (as you seem to be doing), and use the DJI Phantom Pilot Training Guide - it's really a good approach to starting out with your Phantom.

Lastly, you seem to be a bit concerned about compass calibration. It takes 20 seconds. Why do you have a resistance to doing it? Just calibrate every time you go to a new place and you'll be fine. I calibrate every time I fly just because it takes no time, and it gives me peace of mind.

Have fun!

I was mixed up about compass calibration. I thought that had to do with the phantom finding it's way home if it lost the signal from the controller.

What I was concerned about was the"homing" point. I will learn more once I get the book.

I've tried looking it up in multiple forums, but cannot find the info. Can anyone touch up more on the NAZA. From what I'm understanding, it is a more advance stabilization computer for the P2V2.

So like the AR.Drone 2.0 and Bebop, it can use barometric pressure to help it stabilize in the air (position and altitude) rather than just GPS and accelerometer.

Is this correct? and is the Price well worth it?

As well as does this added mod allow you to remove other component, or you must keep all, IE does it add weight and reduce flight time or does it encompass other components and potentially reduce weight?

Naza is already built into the Phantom which can be configured to use the additional features or left in the default Phantom mode.
No extra weight or $$ - it's already there. The Phantom in the default mode uses all sensors - it has full stabilisation..

Verizonwired said:
I've tried looking it up in multiple forums, but cannot find the info. Can anyone touch up more on the NAZA. From what I'm understanding, it is a more advance stabilization computer for the P2V2.

So like the AR.Drone 2.0 and Bebop, it can use barometric pressure to help it stabilize in the air (position and altitude) rather than just GPS and accelerometer.

Is this correct? and is the Price well worth it?

As well as does this added mod allow you to remove other component, or you must keep all, IE does it add weight and reduce flight time or does it encompass other components and potentially reduce weight?

NAZA-M is the flight brains for all the Phantom 2's. NAZA mode adds some extra features if you decide to enable it. It also allows you to switch out of dependence on GPS. Phantom Mode is entirely GPS dependent. Enabling NAZA allows you do take GPS out of the flight circuit.

And I disagree with some of your disagreements. :D :D :D

DattaGroover said:
rockhoundrob said:
Hi, I am new here and trying to do my homework before buying a Phantom 2. I have a lot of questions, but I will limit it to 10 for now. Any answers, comments , or feedback will be appreciated!
Just skimmed this whole thread, and I mildly disagree with some of the other answers. Here are mine, from my own subjective opinions:
rockhoundrob said:
1) How easy is it to lose the Phantom 2 (in spite of doing everything right)? I know to stay away from power lines, metal buildings, calibrating the phantom, etc...
Very easy to lose. They sometimes malfunction and fly away. They sometimes fly away due to pilot error. They sometimes malfunction and crash. They sometimes crash due to pilot error. I would tell anyone starting that if it would not be an acceptable risk to lose Your phantom, or at least damage it needing costly repairs, don't do it. For me and many others, it is worth that risk.

Noawadays, they mostly seem to fly away due to pilot error. In the pilot error category, I include GPS flying where there's canyon bounce, flying where other signals will interfere, and other things like that.

DattaGroover said:
rockhoundrob said:
2) Do you really have to calibrate the Phantom 2 EVERY time you take off (or change the battery)? I am going to Colorado and plan to fly it from a mountain top over a course of 15 days. I will be launching from the same spot (or within 10 feet). Do i still need to calibrate every time ?
No, and here is where I disagree with some of what has been said. DJI recommends re-calibrating every time you go to a new place. I would say if you go back to the same place, re-calibrate as well. It only takes 15-20 seconds and is easy to do, AND if you are out of calibration, your Phantom may get lost. At least it adds to the risk.

Actually, DJI's Wiki (and my manual) say no such thing. They stress the importance of having a calibrated compass, and of calibrating it before one's FIRST flight.
http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/Phanto ... he_Compass

rockhoundrob said:
@ hemorrhagic flyer: First of all, your response says A LOT about your character. 2nd of all, I am deaf. Sure I can look on the internet, but there is so much info, what is good info and what is bad?
3rd...I even tried Youtube and there is TONS of videos about Phantoms and Gopros, but GUESS WHAT? I CAN'T HEAR when the people are talking in their videos, therefore I don't get anything!! So I was hoping to meet some nice people here, but you're sure won't get a 2nd chance to make a good first impression!

So maybe next time think WHY someone is asking for help, before you show your true colors!

Well said! And, I welcome you to the forum. I'm sorry that your first response was from our resident arse hole. I'll read the rest of this thread as I don't want to repeat what has been said. If anything is missing, I'll answer.

RobertMfromLI said:
And I disagree with some of your disagreements. :D :D :D

DattaGroover said:
rockhoundrob said:
Hi, I am new here and trying to do my homework before buying a Phantom 2. I have a lot of questions, but I will limit it to 10 for now. Any answers, comments , or feedback will be appreciated!
Just skimmed this whole thread, and I mildly disagree with some of the other answers. Here are mine, from my own subjective opinions:
rockhoundrob said:
1) How easy is it to lose the Phantom 2 (in spite of doing everything right)? I know to stay away from power lines, metal buildings, calibrating the phantom, etc...
Very easy to lose. They sometimes malfunction and fly away. They sometimes fly away due to pilot error. They sometimes malfunction and crash. They sometimes crash due to pilot error. I would tell anyone starting that if it would not be an acceptable risk to lose Your phantom, or at least damage it needing costly repairs, don't do it. For me and many others, it is worth that risk.

Noawadays, they mostly seem to fly away due to pilot error. In the pilot error category, I include GPS flying where there's canyon bounce, flying where other signals will interfere, and other things like that.

DattaGroover said:
rockhoundrob said:
2) Do you really have to calibrate the Phantom 2 EVERY time you take off (or change the battery)? I am going to Colorado and plan to fly it from a mountain top over a course of 15 days. I will be launching from the same spot (or within 10 feet). Do i still need to calibrate every time ?
No, and here is where I disagree with some of what has been said. DJI recommends re-calibrating every time you go to a new place. I would say if you go back to the same place, re-calibrate as well. It only takes 15-20 seconds and is easy to do, AND if you are out of calibration, your Phantom may get lost. At least it adds to the risk.

Actually, DJI's Wiki (and my manual) say no such thing. They stress the importance of having a calibrated compass, and of calibrating it before one's FIRST flight.

Hey there... The manual does say recalibrate every time you go to a "completely different field/location" on page 21.
I asked them about this and they said 50+ miles constituted completely different.... Just wanted to clarify that point.

Buckaye said:
RobertMfromLI said:

Hey there... The manual does say recalibrate every time you go to a "completely different field/location" on page 21.
I asked them about this and they said 50+ miles constituted completely different.... Just wanted to clarify that point.

Yes, I should have mentioned that. Thanks Buckaye. :)

Okay, I have a little extra to add. I feel there is an underlying cause for some of the flyaways that weren't pilot error.
Considering that possibility, I suggest you put your name and phone number on it and stating that there is a reward for returning it. That doesn't guarantee they won't keep it, but it is quick money.

What I strongly suggest, if you buy the Phantom, is to also buy a GPS tracker. That and a smart phone will show you were it is. I bought a RF-V16 from EBay. It has other features too. Such as when you are near where it shows on the map, call it and you will be able to hear it. It has even more features, to the point that it was perfect for my Mom to wear. She can press one button and call my cellphone and we can have a conversation. If no Mom, I can hear audio near the tracker.

It claims to be the world's smallest tracker (I don't know) and it only weighs 29 grams, You will need a SIM card and a pre-paid card. I bought a $10 card. T-Mobile and AT&T are the only carriers that it works with.

My cell phone is with Verizon and since AT&T don't have coverage here, I went with T-Mobile. Besides the GPS part, it basically acts like a phone, so it doesn't matter if your phone is with another carrier.

Just to be safe, don't put it on the same leg as the compass.

PhantomFanatic said:
Okay, I have a little extra to add. I feel there is an underlying cause for some of the flyaways that weren't pilot error.

I am curious if you have anything you can share on what that cause would be. It'd be great if it's something we can figure out a way of preventing.

PhantomFanatic said:
Considering that possibility, I suggest you put your name and phone number on it and stating that there is a reward for returning it. That doesn't guarantee they won't keep it, but it is quick money.

Great suggestion!

RobertMfromLI said:
PhantomFanatic said:

I am curious if you have anything you can share on what that cause would be. It'd be great if it's something we can figure out a way of preventing.

PhantomFanatic said:

Great suggestion!

Thanks. Unfortunately I don't know what the cause might be. But, I feel certain that DJI does. I do plan to look at the schematic and see if I can find a likely culprit, but I imagine the cause is within a large scale Integrated Circuit. If so, there is nothing we can do. Except for using trackers and a parachute, if someone invents and markets one. I hope to work on the parachute. But, it looks like I'm headed towards back surgery. Right now the pain is unbearable, so no flying. But, I can communicate with my friends here. I hope I mostly have friends!

Edit: I just remembered this and this why I think DJI knows the cause. I do have a possible cause, but I can't take credit for it. I don't recall his user name, but he is also an electronic Engineer. I believe the story is his Phantom fell from the sky and nothing worked. He took it apart and noticed two things.

The first is the wires going to an ESC were shorted together, basically putting a short on the battery. The wires going from the ESC to the motor had melted insulation. He noticed wires going to other ESCs and motors had melted insulation. I totally agree with his finding, which was the wires are too small of a gauge. He recommended going with 20 or 18 gauge wire.

Now, I haven't taken mine apart, yet, but since the wire size had to be below 20 gauge, that is a mistake. BTW, the higher the number, the smaller the wire. Here is my theory: DJI put in more powerful ESCs and motors, but kept the same wiring size. They should have gone to larger wires, but it didn't occur to them. This is one reason that I said they probably know the cause and the fix would involve a major, very expensive recall. Perhaps they will fix this in the third version. In the meantime, I will be putting in 18 gauge wire.

So you're saying when I buy my Phantom 2, I should open up the phantom and put larger wire on the ESC? just to be on the safe side? ... (nothing to lose really)

Are you talking about the red/orange wire that has a black connector on the end? or the gray ones?

hemorrhagic flyer said:
rockhoundrob said:
@ hemorrhagic flyer: First of all, your response says A LOT about your character. 2nd of all, I am deaf. Sure I can look on the internet, but there is so much info, what is good info and what is bad?
3rd...I even tried Youtube and there is TONS of videos about Phantoms and Gopros, but GUESS WHAT? I CAN'T HEAR when the people are talking in their videos, therefore I don't get anything!! So I was hoping to meet some nice people here, but you're sure won't get a 2nd chance to make a good first impression!

So maybe next time think WHY someone is asking for help, before you show your true colors!

Your disability has nothing to do with the information that is available to you.

There are many text sources that will answer your questions.

Tough love maybe but you should just nut up and start reading rather than making excuses for your laziness.

Hemorric whatever, you are a very bad representative of us all. I'm ashamed that you are still on this forum. Just avoid topics that bother you. And, if I may, you need to be under the care of a psychologist and a therapist. Don't feel bad, as you are getting help. But, first you need to be monitored so if such a thing happens again, you will get help.

I really wish we could vote clowns, like you, out of the forum. I'm nowhere near perfect, but I did seek help when I needed it, the most. Drugs (prescriptions I mean) can be very helpful. I can only imagine the pain that you are experiencing. I say this because I truly believe you need help and fast. I am 100% serious.

rockhoundrob said:
So you're saying when I buy my Phantom 2, I should open up the phantom and put larger wire on the ESC? just to be on the safe side? ... (nothing to lose really)

Except your warranty.

If the problem turns out to be something else (if there even is a problem), you might be eliminating the chance of replacement or repair by doing the necessary soldering to the ESC.

rockhoundrob said:

Are you talking about the red/orange wire that has a black connector on the end? or the gray ones?

I can't really recommend that as it would void your warranty. But, you could keep an eye on those wires, just to be safe.

Since I haven't opened mine up, yet, I don't know the color of the wires. But, it is the wires going out each arm to the ESC and from there to the motor.

Edit: MacCool, sorry, I didn't read your post until after I replied. You are correct.

rockhoundrob said:

On the V2.2 ones with the upgraded motors. It won't be the easiest of tasks - you need to splice in thicker wire as close to the motors as possible, and connect THAT to the ESCs. You should be good at wire splicing and soldering. You can use good quality shrink tube to cover the connection point.

Ideally, you should insulate the wires with temperature resistant shielding, such as this (ORDER THE CORRECT SIZE - this probably isn't it):
http://www.amazon.com/Heatshield-Produc ... 00FS6CIA6/

I plan on doing the modification soon.

RobertMfromLI said:
Ideally, you should insulate the wires with temperature resistant shielding, such as this (ORDER THE CORRECT SIZE - this probably isn't it):

You'll be voiding your warranty, likely eliminate any chance of warranty coverage if it turns out, as it appears to be, that the problem isn't the ESC wire gauge.

Anyway, if you do decide to make the modification on your 1-month old Phantom, think it through. You don't need to shield the wires, just replace them with silicone wiring. Amazon has it. Any hobby shop will have it.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... automotive

MacCool said:
RobertMfromLI said:

You'll be voiding your warranty, likely eliminate any chance of warranty coverage if it turns out, as it appears to be, that the problem isn't the ESC wire gauge.

Anyway, if you do decide to make the modification on your 1-month old Phantom, think it through. You don't need to shield the wires, just replace them with silicone wiring. Amazon has it. Any hobby shop will have it.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... automotive

I think you are confusing me with someone else. I have a Phantom 2 I bought a while ago. I just upgraded the motors and ESCs. The wire gauge IS way too thin. DJI may try to dispute that for ages - or they may not, but the simple fact is, the gauge is too thin.

Anyway, since I already upgraded the motors, I suspect I voided any warranty already - and if not, upgrading the wires and putting them in sleeves wouldn't either. So, I'm in or out (of warranty) regardless at this point.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20