New here and thinking about Phantom 2

RobertMfromLI said:
MacCool said:
RobertMfromLI said:
Ideally, you should insulate the wires with temperature resistant shielding, such as this (ORDER THE CORRECT SIZE - this probably isn't it):
http://www.amazon.com/Heatshield-Produc ... 00FS6CIA6/

I plan on doing the modification soon.

You'll be voiding your warranty, likely eliminate any chance of warranty coverage if it turns out, as it appears to be, that the problem isn't the ESC wire gauge.

Anyway, if you do decide to make the modification on your 1-month old Phantom, think it through. You don't need to shield the wires, just replace them with silicone wiring. Amazon has it. Any hobby shop will have it.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... automotive

I think you are confusing me with someone else. I have a Phantom 2 I bought a while ago. I just upgraded the motors and ESCs. The wire gauge IS way too thin. DJI may try to dispute that for ages - or they may not, but the simple fact is, the gauge is too thin.

Anyway, since I already upgraded the motors, I suspect I voided any warranty already - and if not, upgrading the wires and putting them in sleeves wouldn't either. So, I'm in or out (of warranty) regardless at this point.

Possibly I have you confused with someone else, but I quoted your actual post above. It's true though that I didnt' know your Phantom was a home-upgrade. Obviously that changes the warranty lansdscape.

I agree that the wires could be thicker, and they probably should be stranded, but they aren't. The question is, does that make a difference and is it a contributing factor to Phantoms dropping from the sky? It doesn't appear so, according to na5n's reasoned and tested theory, and the hearsay email from DJI to Justin indicating their take on the problem (ESC firmware problem, not wire size).

If I was upgrading, I'd consider splicing in heavier wires, but I doubt that that by itself will keep your Phantom safe. I think you'll need ESCs with the latest firmware version designed around the 2312 motors.

MacCool said:
I agree that the wires could be thicker, and they probably should be stranded, but they aren't.

Weird, mine are stranded.

MacCool said:
The question is, does that make a difference and is it a contributing factor to Phantoms dropping from the sky? It doesn't appear so, according to na5n's reasoned and tested theory, and the hearsay email to Justin indicating their take on the problem (ESC firmware problem, not wire size).

Yes. The wires get warm (or even hot). The insulation is cheap and thin. If the insulation melts on one wire that's touching the board, it will cause a short, ESC damage and failure, and so on. If the insulation melts on two wires (that aren't touching the board), it will cause a short, possibly damage the ESC, and so on. In either case, the copter will drop out of the sky.

Rule of thumb for electrical is one does NOT increase the gauge (ie: go to thinner gauge) to carry MORE power - that's what DJI did.

MacCool said:
If I was upgrading, I'd consider splicing in heavier wires, but I doubt that that by itself will keep you Phantom safe. I think you'll need ESCs with the latest firmware version designed around the 2312 motors.

Correct - which I replaced as well.

RobertMfromLI said:
Yes. The wires get warm (or even hot). The insulation is cheap and thin. If the insulation melts on one wire that's touching the board, it will cause a short, ESC damage and failure, and so on. If the insulation melts on two wires (that aren't touching the board), it will cause a short, possibly damage the ESC, and so on. In either case, the copter will drop out of the sky.

Rule of thumb for electrical is one does NOT increase the gauge (ie: go to thinner gauge) to carry MORE power - that's what DJI did.

Yes. But I don't think anyone has defined the thinner wires as being an actual problem, as opposed to a theoretical problem. When na5n did his testing, intentionally blowing three MOSFETs, he monitored the wire temps under the dead-short condition he created. Hot, yes, but not catastrophically so.

MacCool said:
RobertMfromLI said:

Yes. But I don't think anyone has defined the thinner wires as being an actual problem, as opposed to a theoretical problem. When na5n did his testing, intentionally blowing three MOSFETs, he monitored the wire temps under the dead-short condition he created. Hot, yes, but not catastrophically so.

I suspect they've made some changes. For one, as I noted above, mine have stranded wires (your didn't?). That'd mean at some point, they changed something.

Mine has really cheap insulation - not even strong enough to survive normal soldering (and I do board level soldering, among other things, for a living - I do know what I am doing). And ALREADY showing heat damage where they tinned the wire ends (which probably precipitated the additional damage from soldering).

So, MY series of the upgraded "motor upgrades" (and presumably others - I can't believe I am the only one) came with crappy, under-rated insulation on the wires, and thing, stranded wires.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair