New Flytrex Goodies

I just wanted to take the time to thank you all beta testers out there for the Flytrex Live... I can't wait until the next version with 4G and LTE support comes online... j/k :)

Ordered my Flytrex Live direct from Flytrex and now that the item has reached the UK the shipping status shows as "Inappropriate invoice". Any other UK pilots have this before? Assume customs will now want to drain my bank account even more.

rrmccabe said:
So when you say connection dropped out you lost 2G right? And to fix that the only option is to power cycle the live? It wont come back when it sees 2G again?

Hi rrmccabe :)

The Live is designed to re-connect automatically. If this doesn't happen, it means something in the flow isn't working as planned - this is something we're investigating right now.

We're now working with several users to review the different reports using beta firmwares that we sent those pilots and I hope we'll have more details and news in the next 2-3 days. Currently we're waiting for logs to be sent back to us.

But for your question, yes, the Live definitely suppose to re-connect automatically if connection is lost.

Jayson Hanes said:
ok.. I rolled the dice.. I moved the orange over to where the blue was (since I cut the blue) and voila.. I have data being transmitted and the flytrex site shows the drone at my house!.. time to put it all back together! w00t!

WOW! :) Thanks Jayson for the follow-up on this! I was just reviewing our emails from last night (we're on the other side of the time zone.. :)).

I'm glad to hear switching the wires helped! If you'll have any trouble with the patched cable let me know and we'll get a new cable shipped to you gladly.

Regarding the first mission that dropped -- we are reviewing the mission more closely now. Technically the Live should handle such situations and re-connect automatically. This should work in the vast majority of the cases, so we're trying to find out how we can improve this now.

Thanks! :)

Dirty Bird said:
Correct on the power cycle, but it doesn't do much good because you have no way of knowing the connection dropped unless you see the LED went purple, or if you are tracking live and notice the feed stops.

I did read a report with a possible solution to reconnecting. Your SIM has a phone number, and it was reported that if you call the number, let it ring and hang up, this will prompt the Live to reconnect. The way to test this would be to catch your live in the solid purple state, and call it while you are watching the LED to see what happens. Still have the problem that you don't know when it drops. Very annoying issue. 3/4s of my flights return in the disconnected state, usually after less than 2 minutes. That means the Live's ability to report the aircraft's location ends when the connection drops. :(

Hi Dirty Bird :)

Thanks for the feedback! I'd like to mention again that technically the Live should handle re-connects automatically (this was added around firmware v34-35 or so). The fact that this doesn't happen might be related to loss of signal (although it should re-connect when nearing back to starting point.. when you did had signal), or, some other cause/bug.

To be honest, we're now working to investigate this and understand what is causing this.

If you have the time, please send me a short email to amit[at]flytrex[dot]com and I'll send you a bit more details about our current testing. We'd like to try and extract some log details from your device to see what might be causing this.

Regarding the phone call -- that's interesting. Nothing that we're familiar with, might be possible, but can't think of any technical reason without collecting more information.

Thanks!

Dirty Bird said:
Jayson Hanes said:
The connection dropped out after nearly 7 minutes and went solid purple.. the 2nd flight lasted the whole time without issue. I was thinking a micro switch would do well on the bottom of the flytrex so that we could easily cycle power to it without landing, in case of a reset?.. fun stuff!! so excited!

The other thing I have suggested to Flytrex is ditching the hardwired power connector in favor of a modular plug like the data connector. This would make disconnecting the Live a simpler process if you want to use it with other aircraft. They could even combine the two connectors into a single connector. Just purchase a the appropriate connector for each model aircraft you plan to fly with.

We'll see what we can do about this for future versions of the product. This will probably take a bit of time, but note taken to our dev team.

Dirty Bird said:

If you look at the mission graph you'll see that there was a short data loss in the middle. The Live basically managed to re-connect automatically and data stream was re-established. Furthermore, starting with firmware 34-35 we added some auto-correction, so the data stream should automatically recover major parts of the lost data.

The behavior with this mission is the one we're expecting to see with other missions that lose connection - now trying to understand why they won't re-connect automatically as expected.

I will post some follow-ups in upcoming days when we have more details.

job2310 said:
Ordered my Flytrex Live direct from Flytrex and now that the item has reached the UK the shipping status shows as "Inappropriate invoice". Any other UK pilots have this before? Assume customs will now want to drain my bank account even more.

Hi job2310 :)

We've seen this before in the UK. Not completely sure why -- this shows on the status even with shipments to our dealers that are shipped in large packages..

From past experience, give it a day or two, it goes through eventually -- honestly no clue why. We tried to get more details in the past but didn't got any reply. :)

amitregev said:
If you have the time, please send me a short email to amit[at]flytrex[dot]com and I'll send you a bit more details about our current testing. We'd like to try and extract some log details from your device to see what might be causing this.

Regarding the phone call -- that's interesting. Nothing that we're familiar with, might be possible, but can't think of any technical reason without collecting more information.

Email should be in your inbox. I believe I read the user comment about calling as a comment to one of the threads on the Flytrex FB page.

amitregev said:
Hi rrmccabe :)

The Live is designed to re-connect automatically..

Glad to you come to the forums to follow up. Thank you very much.

Dirty Bird said:
Correct on the power cycle, but it doesn't do much good because you have no way of knowing the connection dropped unless you see the LED went purple, or if you are tracking live and notice the feed stops.

I did read a report with a possible solution to reconnecting. Your SIM has a phone number, and it was reported that if you call the number, let it ring and hang up, this will prompt the Live to reconnect. The way to test this would be to catch your live in the solid purple state, and call it while you are watching the LED to see what happens. Still have the problem that you don't know when it drops. Very annoying issue. 3/4s of my flights return in the disconnected state, usually after less than 2 minutes. That means the Live's ability to report the aircraft's location ends when the connection drops. :(

Dirty Bird - Thanks for the info. I'm having the same issue. The following flight shows where the connection dropped within a few minutes of flight. But I continued to fly for 15 minutes in the general area, including near where I started, which is where the original connection was established. The T-Mobile coverage map shows "Good" strength.
http://www.flytrex.com/mission/quadcopt ... dge-73048/

Flytrex - auto-reconnect would be a nice improvement. Moving to 3G/4G would be even better.

For others who find their way here, I did a youtube video of my installation of the flytrex live on my P2V+.. I couldn't find any others out there that showed the inside of the P2V+ with regards to this install, so this might be the first of it's kind..
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SQtOhthcTs[/youtube]

Did my install exactly like yours. The double-sided tape on mine lifted fairly easily with constant pressure. Like you, I detached the outboard Wi-Fi antenna connector, but I stood the module on its edge while I did the soldering and never removed the other antenna connector. Another guy with a butane soldering iron I see. ;) I faced my SIM car slot towards the rear leaving the battery release unobstructed by the Live. Was the first time I ever opened my Phantom too.

cool stuff DB.. yeah I've had that butane soldering iron foreverrrrr.. it's not ideal but it does the job that would otherwise be impossible to do :).. I face mine the same way, but I probably could have moved it a bit further in. I'm anxious to fly around my work (downtown tampa) to see how the 2G connectivity is, but rain is moving in..

A clear necessity for the FLT is for it to at least have a small battery backup with enough power that if the main power exhausted, the backup could transmit a signal to show it's position. It only needs to transmit 1-3 hours maybe once every 15 minutes. A watch battery to a 9volt battery could be a possibility.

As it is now, because the FLT uses our vPlus for it's battery source, should the vPlus battery go dead while in flight you will not know your quads exact location. Which makes the FLT useless in this situation, when it doesn't have to. Basically, in regards to tracking position, the FLT in it's current state is no different then the vPlus "Find My Phantom 2 Vision" feature in the DJI app settings. That feature stops working when it no longer receives a GPS signal.

The FLT in true form is actually far from being a near $200 device. The expense to add the ability to continue transmitting it's location/position after the main source has expired could be minimal compared to the benefits. Of coarse I would think that one of Flytrex goals would be to keep their customer base in the air as much as possible. I strongly feel that if Flytrex were to make a battery backup option, it would draw the interest from other markets, and in that case the online live part of the device would be considered a perk. Overall this is a very important request. Amit, Please make some serious considerations on this matter.

Also can you let US customers know what steps are currently being taken to replace 2G for those in the US? The 2G is deteriorating very fast in the US.

frank.. the find your phantom only works if you were flying within wifi range.. if you are beyond that range (or out of LOS), you have a totally useless "last location".

If power is lost, the phantom is going down like a rock. The last transmitted location will be a zillion times more accurate than without.

flyNfrank said:
A clear necessity for the FLT is for it to at least have a small battery backup with enough power that if the main power exhausted, the backup could transmit a signal to show it's position. It only needs to transmit 1-3 hours maybe once every 15 minutes. A watch battery to a 9volt battery could be a possibility..

I made a post asking about this once before buying the Marco Polo and its something I agree with.

First, I did not want to have a device that relied on Phantom power. And secondly did not want one more stupid thing to keep charged. I compromised with the Marco Polo as the battery will last a month.

But my personal preference would onboard tracker battery that trickle charges off the Phantom battery with a diode or whatever circuitry needed so it did not discharge.

I would be happy to pay Flytrex the $200 for that option along with 3G or better and micro SD.

Jayson Hanes said:
If power is lost, the phantom is going down like a rock. The last transmitted location will be a zillion times more accurate than without.

As long as your 2G doesn't crap out 2 minutes into your 20 minute flight :-(

I was leaning towards buying a separate cellular tracking device for my phantom. I would LOVE to avoid that and use a Live.... but not in its current state.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robvalduga