New FC40, no USB port in controller

Well, I'm dead in the water now, or air. Controller quit. I turned it on this morning, no USB connected, got green light, 1 second later 2 beeps and light turned to yellow, it doesn't work. Waiting for a call back from seller. :cry:

Kwas said:
The problems continue, almost catastrophic. I still can't connect to software with the USB port in the controller. So, yesterday morning I plugged into the USB port on the FC40. Voila, then connected to the software. I went through making a few changes, testing the motor etc. I turned on IOC but the slider won't move off of OFF, don't know why. I figured I would try it in the side yard. I attached a nylon string tether so if anything went wrong I would be ready. Turned on controller, powered up the quad, did the dance, got satellite lock and started the motors. Took it up about 8' and it hovered there without moving to much, figured good to go.

So I went to a larger place about 2.5 miles North of home without trees or anything else. Same thing as in the yard, dance, satellite lock. I STILL HAD THE TETHER ATTACHED. there was a little more wind being out in the open but didn't see it as a problem. I launched, took it up 8 or 10" and it hovered, moved around a little because of the wind but no big deal. I took it up to about 35'. Suddenly it started to rise fast and head South, I think it was heading to my home. I had the tether in hand and reeled it in while the motors were running balls out. It flipped over when it touched the ground, no damage done. I could not shut it down without disconnecting the battery, close call. Was it heading to my house? Why didn't it call the new location home. I'm at a loss.

Does anyone have any ideas? Should I fly in ATT mode?

Thanks

DJK

I am sorry but your post almost brought me to tears, from laughing!! Thanks. anyway, lets say that at 30' the phantom took off for your old home, would that mean that the signal from the transmitter was lost? Check the batteries and make sure they are brand new. Were both of your switches in the up position? There are some experts here that might be able to tell you what happened, but all the info is necessary. Good luck

ps. I love the idea of you tethering your quadcopter, but then it even tried to get away, how did you know that would happen? Did you preparing for it make it happen?

Wedeliver said:
Kwas said:
The problems continue, almost catastrophic. I still can't connect to software with the USB port in the controller. So, yesterday morning I plugged into the USB port on the FC40. Voila, then connected to the software. I went through making a few changes, testing the motor etc. I turned on IOC but the slider won't move off of OFF, don't know why. I figured I would try it in the side yard. I attached a nylon string tether so if anything went wrong I would be ready. Turned on controller, powered up the quad, did the dance, got satellite lock and started the motors. Took it up about 8' and it hovered there without moving to much, figured good to go.

So I went to a larger place about 2.5 miles North of home without trees or anything else. Same thing as in the yard, dance, satellite lock. I STILL HAD THE TETHER ATTACHED. there was a little more wind being out in the open but didn't see it as a problem. I launched, took it up 8 or 10" and it hovered, moved around a little because of the wind but no big deal. I took it up to about 35'. Suddenly it started to rise fast and head South, I think it was heading to my home. I had the tether in hand and reeled it in while the motors were running balls out. It flipped over when it touched the ground, no damage done. I could not shut it down without disconnecting the battery, close call. Was it heading to my house? Why didn't it call the new location home. I'm at a loss.

Does anyone have any ideas? Should I fly in ATT mode?

Thanks

DJK

I am sorry but your post almost brought me to tears, from laughing!! Thanks. anyway, lets say that at 30' the phantom took off for your old home, would that mean that the signal from the transmitter was lost? Check the batteries and make sure they are brand new. Were both of your switches in the up position? There are some experts here that might be able to tell you what happened, but all the info is necessary. Good luck

ps. I love the idea of you tethering your quadcopter, but then it even tried to get away, how did you know that would happen? Did you preparing for it make it happen?

Although humorous I wasn't laughing. I don't think that the signal was lost but I really don't know. I had brand new batteries in the controller, tested good after flight also. It really shouldn't have gone to my house as it acquired the satellites and flashing slow green before launch. Switches were both in up position. I didn't know that it would get away but I wasn't taking any chances on basically first flight. I didn't attempt to make it happen. Being that the controller has suddenly quit, first time trying to fly since fly away, that may have been the cause of it.

Well, I'm dead in the water now, or air. Controller quit. I turned it on this morning, no USB connected, got green light, 1 second later 2 beeps and light turned to yellow, it doesn't work. Waiting for a call back from seller. :cry:

Kwas

I had that happen and it frustrated the hell out of me till I found out what the solid yellow lite means and how to fix it. It means the controller is out of calibration. It can happen from turning it on while the sticks are not at full center and many times if its way off you cant fix it threw the naza soft wares transmitter calibration steps and it needs to be plugged in the the rc assistant and run the calibration being very careful to follow the steps and making sure to make good full circular motions when it tells you to. and to let go of the sticks and let them go to center. it might take a try or two to get it right but when its properly calibrate and you turn the transmitter off and back on you should get your beeps and green led again.

J.James said:

Kwas

I had that happen and it frustrated the hell out of me till I found out what the solid yellow lite means and how to fix it. It means the controller is out of calibration. It can happen from turning it on while the sticks are not at full center and many times if its way off you cant fix it threw the naza soft wares transmitter calibration steps and it needs to be plugged in the the rc assistant and run the calibration being very careful to follow the steps and making sure to make good full circular motions when it tells you to. and to let go of the sticks and let them go to center. it might take a try or two to get it right but when its properly calibrate and you turn the transmitter off and back on you should get your beeps and green led again.

The sellers tech support called me and he said that he never heard of the problem but would check with other techs and call back. While waiting for the call I plug the USB cable into the controller and loaded RC Assistant and turned controller. The light was green from the start and connected with RC Assistant. I recalibrated while in RC. I turned the controller on after disconnecting and the light stayed green. The guy called back and said they have never had that problem. I explained what I did and everything seemed fine now, thanked him and ended call. Took it out this morning and flew it and it all went well.

J.James said:

Kwas

The sellers tech support called me and he said that he never heard of the problem but would check with other techs and call back. While waiting for the call I plug the USB cable into the controller and loaded RC Assistant and turned controller. The light was green from the start and connected with RC Assistant. I recalibrated while in RC. I turned the controller on after disconnecting and the light stayed green. The guy called back and said they have never had that problem. I explained what I did and everything seemed fine now, thanked him and ended call. Took it out this morning and flew it and it all went well. Perhaps we both could become tech support people ;)

The sellers tech support called me and he said that he never heard of the problem but would check with other techs and call back. While waiting for the call I plug the USB cable into the controller and loaded RC Assistant and turned controller. The light was green from the start and connected with RC Assistant. I recalibrated while in RC. I turned the controller on after disconnecting and the light stayed green. The guy called back and said they have never had that problem. I explained what I did and everything seemed fine now, thanked him and ended call. Took it out this morning and flew it and it all went well. Perhaps we both could become tech support people ;)

Ya when that happened to me and I had the solid yellow I searched and searched the web to see if any one know what the problem was and no one seemed to know. So i had to figure it out on my own. an still was not sure if that was really the cause or just a fluke that fixed its self. So to confirm that was the problem and the solution I actually messed up the calibration on Purpose just to see if I could get the yellow light to come back and it did then recalibrating it again it went away. So it had to of been what the solid yellow light means. and recalibrating it was a much better solution then "oh the transmitter must be broken buy a new one"
Perhaps we both could become tech support people
Well i have had almost any thing that could go wrong go wrong and had to figure out most stuff on my own already so I think I probably covered any and all things that can be an issue already and probably could be good at that job. Esp being I would know from first hand experience and not just reading form a tech help screen menu to try an guess whats wrong with a product that a tech support person may not have any real experience with whats so ever. or ever even using the product them selves ever.

J.James said:
Well i have had almost any thing that could go wrong go wrong

Oh no, there's still plenty more stuff that could go wrong, but I won't bore you with the jackass things I've pulled so far. This has been a pretty interesting read, thanks for sharing your experience.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1