new doubts

Hogwash ? It is simple physics. When the drone is transiting through the window the downward thrust is no longer constant and equal, some of the thrust is pushing against the ground, some against the sil, some against the inside floor. Go fly a drone through a window 10 times. You wish crash at least 5.

Going through a doorway, is fine, a window which by definition is going to have different elevations present is a horrible idea.

Yes Hogwash.

There are physical/aerodynamic reasons why going through a window is, if not a bad idea, one that requires increased planning and skill. When the drone is close to the ground (or in this case, a window sill), ground effect will result in an increased amount of lift from the props even though no throttle inputs were made, so it's possible that you'd get enough uncommanded lift to have the drone rise up and hit the window.

You could also have the problem where you get increased lift only on the "front" props as you slowly approach the window, which would make the drone tilt backwards...depending on how fast you're going, the drone will try to correct for this, but all control systems have lag and so it might end poorly for you.

If you move the drone through the window fast enough, you'll go from inside to outside in a short enough time for that increased lift to only occur for the half a second or so that the drone is directly over the windowsill, and you'll probably be okay.

The problem then, of course, is that you're trying to fly the drone through a small opening at a high rate of speed...

This is such BS as a principle.

Of course you can devise all these scenarios and fringe conditions to try and make a point but the notion you'll crash because of some drastic pressure change is B.S.

I went to college for this stuff--pressure changes are the entire reason that the drone flies in the first place, when you get right down to it. Flying through a window isn't going to make the drone fall out of the sky and explode, but it's going to affect the flight path of the drone for sure, and possibly enough to make you hit the window frame as you pass through.

Ever flown your Phantom over the ground at low altitude (2-3 feet) and then noticed it didn't hold perfectly level as you went over a ditch, but seemed to follow the terrain? It's the same principle with the window, only in reverse.

So .. have you done this?
Are you speaking from experience or is this just your theory?
It sounds extremely implausible.

Yes, i did it

I ll create a youtube acc to upload the video and post here

I went to college for this stuff--pressure changes are the entire reason that the drone flies in the first place, when you get right down to it. Flying through a window isn't going to make the drone fall out of the sky and explode, but it's going to affect the flight path of the drone for sure, and possibly enough to make you hit the window frame as you pass through.

Ever flown your Phantom over the ground at low altitude (2-3 feet) and then noticed it didn't hold perfectly level as you went over a ditch, but seemed to follow the terrain? It's the same principle with the window, only in reverse.
I didn't go to college and know that that is because of the VPS. HOGWASH

Ignore the advice if you want. Flying through a window is a terrible idea. I would rather fly my drone through a forest at least there I have some control of what is going to occur. There are countless posts of crashed drones from attempting to go through a window and anyone saying its hogwash doesn't understand physics.

Ignore the advice if you want. Flying through a window is a terrible idea. I would rather fly my drone through a forest at least there I have some control of what is going to occur. There are countless posts of crashed drones from attempting to go through a window and anyone saying its hogwash doesn't understand physics.

Please post a link to the "countless posts of crashed drones from attempting to go through a window".

bullas_-_hogwash.jpg

Reactions: Meta4
If you fly slow and low enough you may induce some ground effects as you pass by the sill but not the quad killing loss of control and resultant crash as has been predicted by a physics expert.

I'm hoping he'll make good on his mention of the countless crash videos he has implied exist with a link or two.

I think it is on by default, but you can turn it on and off in the app.
i-sr7wBCP-L.jpg

It will record the current position of the Phantom as its home point and you can keep flying. This is very useful if you are launching near trees.
Take off .. climb to a safe altitude above trees .. set home point .. now your Phantom will not RTH through the trees. In RTH the Phantom could land itself or you could resume control and land wherever you want.

RTH will come back to wherever the Phantom recorded home point but you can resume control at any time if you have signal.

Is that screen shot in the setting under the GPS when running I assume? I have an android.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues