New DJI Phantom 2 hobbyist.. Insurance?

I have full coverage on my machines ($500 deductible) as well as 2 million in liability from Nationwide. Covers my son, myself and one contract pilot. $645 per year. This is for 2 Phantoms fully loaded. This is commercial insurance and not "hobby insurance".

BamaDave said:
I have full coverage on my machines ($500 deductible) as well as 2 million in liability from Nationwide. Covers my son, myself and one contract pilot. $645 per year. This is for 2 Phantoms fully loaded. This is commercial insurance and not "hobby insurance".

So this insurance is for your actual commercial operation that uses the Phantoms as business tools?

I emailed my car insurance company (Geico) to see what kind of insurance could offer me some coverage. Perhaps "umbrella" or a renter's policy?

Kelso Kubat said:
a friend of mine got a 1 year/1 million dollar liability policy in colorado for 1400
i think it was state farm or allstate
You should backup in this thread and check out what Irish Sights found for insurance in the USA. Membership in that organization gives you $2,500,000.00 worth of insurance. And membership does not cost an arm and both legs.
$1400.00 is nuts.

Happyflyer said:
Kelso Kubat said:
a friend of mine got a 1 year/1 million dollar liability policy in colorado for 1400
You should backup in this thread and check out what Irish Sights found for insurance in the USA. Membership in that organization gives you $2,500,000.00 worth of insurance. And membership does not cost an arm and both legs.
$1400.00 is nuts.

Unless I am blind irish sights insurance is for the UK,not the USA.I was just about to join the AMA for the insurance but it says this:
"All pilots shall avoid flying directly over unprotected people, vessels, vehicles or structures and shall avoid endangerment of life and property of others"
Well WTF? If I was doing that I wouldnt need insurance!! The insurance is to protect me if I do injure somebody or damage a building or something,seems to me the AMA insurance is useless.If your not flying over" unprotected people, vessels, vehicles or structures " then you dont need insurance

htownphantom said:
If your not flying over" unprotected people, vessels, vehicles or structures " then you dont need insurance

Unless you have a fly off or pilot error and someone/something gets hurt/damaged.

Just_Satch said:
htownphantom said:
If your not flying over" unprotected people, vessels, vehicles or structures " then you dont need insurance

Unless you have a fly off or pilot error and someone/something gets hurt/damaged.

Ha,well yeah there is that

htownphantom said:
Happyflyer said:
Kelso Kubat said:
$1400.00 is nuts.

Unless I am blind irish sights insurance is for the UK,not the USA...
Your right, the OP'er was from the UK, then someone asked about insurance in the US, I then gave a link. So both the UK and US got links. My UK insurance covers me for recreational flying and any damage that might be done to property or persons. I would have thought that there would be at least similar policies available in the US. Yes? The US must be more 'sue happy' than the British!

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

David DJI H said:
public liability insurance, just in case it did drop on someone or something?

Why do you even need insurance? Who are you going to hit? You’re more likely to win the lottery and then get struck by lightning than to be in the situation were you totally loose control of the aircraft and then hit someone and even if you hit someone you might not even do any real damage to them. (Like the wedding vid) It’s the whole suing/compensation culture that’s getting out of hand.
Even bringing the wedding vid up as evidence that flying quads is dangerous is stupid, flying high up in places like in towns and stuff compared to purposefully flying 5ft away from people. Is like comparing driving 50mph in a 30 with kids about vs 90mph on a motorway.
I am more likely to hit someone while out on my mountain bike (had a few close ones) than hit someone with my phantom that’s flying some were 100m above them. I would not even think about getting insurance for that.

As for claiming of your insurance for damage in a crash or something that’s up to you but the insurance company will try and do anything they can to not pay you out and if they do they will make up for it by charging you more for the nest 1000 years.

MM my 1st post too :)

Personal choice @tappits. All insurance is cover for unlikely events. I have had car insurance for over 40 years and claimed once. I still insure my car. Damage can be severe to property and people as demonstrated by several videos. If you want to take the risk of a personal multi million claim against you, then thats up to you. For me its a nobrainer at £16 GBP a year.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8

IrishSights said:
Personal choice @tappits. All insurance is cover for unlikely events. I have had car insurance for over 40 years and claimed once. I still insure my car. Damage can be severe to property and people as demonstrated by several videos. If you want to take the risk of a personal multi million claim against you, then thats up to you. For me its a nobrainer at £16 GBP a year.

You HAVE you have insurance for your car it’s a legal requirement of having a motor vehicle on the roads but having insurance for toys and hobbies is not and not normally done in pretty much any hobbies even super dangerous ones like rock climbing and stuff.
Like a game of football with your friends or local pub team or something in the park… tackle someone too hard and you twist there ankle. Are they going to sue you?, or same football game and you kick the ball out of bounds and you hit some random guy walking his dog and he trips and bangs his head when he falls over.
There would not be a multi-million claim against you if you don’t have insurance in the first place.
Where are these several videos are were people are doing million pounds worth of damage to 3rd party’s property’s? and or seriously injuring people were they will need 10000’s or million of £$€ in pay-outs?

Also if you think £16 is ever going to give you any sort of cover your off your head, Even with one 1mill £ payout it would take the insurance company having 10k polices over 6 years to re-cope the cost of one single claim.
Now if you take into account there's only going to be maybe 500-1000 (tops) people with the insurance its going to take even longer... insurance is a business and paying out is bad for it so if it came down to it they will do everything to not pay out anyway. Maybe one day some one might claim off it but there not going to payout 5mill£$€ that's just the upper limit on what they could payout. lets say they payout 50k-100k because some one blinds (think you only get like 20k max for an eye tho) there friend that was stood too close you can expect the insurance for every one else the following year to be £100+ if not more.
Building opposite were i work does segway stuff and they have had a few clams with people twisting there legs and 1 even braking there leg on them maybe paying out 20-30k tops over the past 2 years. there insurance this year is £50k

IrishSights said:
I joined fpvuk.org. You get insurance as part of the membership. Very cheap! I had to go for a 6 month one then 1 year there after. Its just the way they work.

I am there too!. Little money for great peace of mind.

Tappits said:
IrishSights said:

You HAVE you have insurance for your car it’s a legal requirement of having a motor vehicle on the roads but having insurance for toys and hobbies is not and not normally done in pretty much any hobbies even super dangerous ones like rock climbing and stuff.
Like a game of football with your friends or local pub team or something in the park… tackle someone too hard and you twist there ankle. Are they going to sue you?, or same football game and you kick the ball out of bounds and you hit some random guy walking his dog and he trips and bangs his head when he falls over.
There would not be a multi-million claim against you if you don’t have insurance in the first place.
Where are these several videos are were people are doing million pounds worth of damage to 3rd party’s property’s? and or seriously injuring people were they will need 10000’s or million of £$€ in pay-outs?

Also if you think £16 is ever going to give you any sort of cover your off your head, Even with one 1mill £ payout it would take the insurance company having 10k polices over 6 years to re-cope the cost of one single claim.
Now if you take into account there's only going to be maybe 500-1000 (tops) people with the insurance its going to take even longer... insurance is a business and paying out is bad for it so if it came down to it they will do everything to not pay out anyway. Maybe one day some one might claim off it but there not going to payout 5mill£$€ that's just the upper limit on what they could payout. lets say they payout 50k-100k because some one blinds (think you only get like 20k max for an eye tho) there friend that was stood too close you can expect the insurance for every one else the following year to be £100+ if not more.
Building opposite were i work does segway stuff and they have had a few clams with people twisting there legs and 1 even braking there leg on them maybe paying out 20-30k tops over the past 2 years. there insurance this year is £50k

I want to insure my car because I want to protect myself, not because its a legal requirment. I have £5 million PL insurance from reputable company fot £16. Fact. I'm happy. "off your head" comment is just downight rude. I'm finished with this thread.

Tappits said:
David DJI H said:
public liability insurance, just in case it did drop on someone or something?

Why do you even need insurance? Who are you going to hit? You’re more likely to win the lottery and then get struck by lightning than to be in the situation were you totally loose control of the aircraft and then hit someone and even if you hit someone you might not even do any real damage to them. (Like the wedding vid) It’s the whole suing/compensation culture that’s getting out of hand.
Even bringing the wedding vid up as evidence that flying quads is dangerous is stupid, flying high up in places like in towns and stuff compared to purposefully flying 5ft away from people. Is like comparing driving 50mph in a 30 with kids about vs 90mph on a motorway.
I am more likely to hit someone while out on my mountain bike (had a few close ones) than hit someone with my phantom that’s flying some were 100m above them. I would not even think about getting insurance for that.

As for claiming of your insurance for damage in a crash or something that’s up to you but the insurance company will try and do anything they can to not pay you out and if they do they will make up for it by charging you more for the nest 1000 years.

MM my 1st post too :)

Really? You say this on a phantom forum of all places? Wow :shock: I don't know if that is straight denial or just ignorance.

It's electronic and it flies so anything can happen.

I view insurance just like my guns. I rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Being a professional, I know that ANYTHING can happen at ANYTIME. I have flown RC for over 40 years and still have the mindset that there only two kinds of aircraft. Those that have crashed and those about to.
And with that note, having 2 million in liability and full coverage on all my equipment means that if any part is damaged, lost, or stolen, the equipment will be replaced after a $500 deductible. As a business owner, everything I own is insured. I take every precaution when I fly. I have a check list, and a spotter whenever flying for a client. I don't take unnecessary chances I don't have to.
There is someone on here saying insurance isn't necessary. To each his own, but I don't have the money to pay out of my pocket should I have an accident of any kind and someone or something is harmed or injured.
My hope when the FAA is considering applications for approval(when that starts), those that show responsibility without being told to do so will have an edge. I hope at the same time, those that show no regards to safety by flying over stadiums while games are being played because it will be fun, or those with a mindset that they will fly as high as they want to and nobody can stop them, should have their toys removed permently.

tonben said:
+1
I'm also interested in U.S based insurance info.
Tony........

Here's the answer you will find, but it's probably not what you wanted:

- Liability only rates run from about $1,000 to $1,200 per year for $1,000,000 liability limit for the first aircraft. The limit follows the aircraft and each aircraft carries it’s own premium.
- Subsequent aircraft added to a policy can received reduced rates depending upon the insurer.
The above premium indications are based upon an insurable risk in today’s aviation and aerospace insurance market.
- Policies are written on all risks of ground and flight aircraft policy forms and again, coverage follows scheduled aircraft worldwide. Policies are quoted through up to 10 different aviation and aerospace insurers with A to A++ XV AM Best ratings.
- Insurability is based upon the aircraft type, flight controller type, uses of the aircraft and pilot experience and background.
- There is no deductible for liability. Deductibles only apply to hull physical damage coverage.
http://transportrisk.com/uavrcfilm.html

Other insurers and underwriters are not yet ready to write policies for sUAVs/RPAs.

See http://southernhelicam.com/insurance-the-next-challenge/

Guess I am lucky I am not not paying the amount above. $695 covers 1,000,000 in liability, max per year, 2 million, and full coverage for all my equipment. But my agent has everything else I own also.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj