New City Wide Drone Ban Law

Maryland side-stepped the issue by Governor Hogan signing the "Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Research, Development, Regulation and Privacy Act of 2015" which gives the State of Maryland the exclusive jurisdiction (outside of Federal (FAA) regulations) to regulate the use of UAVs in the state of Maryland. Therefore any past or current regulation by local municipalities is rendered null and void.

Maryland side-stepped the issue by Governor Hogan signing the "Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Research, Development, Regulation and Privacy Act of 2015" which gives the State of Maryland the exclusive jurisdiction (outside of Federal (FAA) regulations) to regulate the use of UAVs in the state of Maryland. Therefore any past or current regulation by local municipalities is rendered null and void.

I am surprised at time that the MD legislature hasn't just preempted all laws in the state cause they don't seem to think anyone else is capable of making smart decisions (and it would get more money in their pockets).

Maybe "current case law", for the state you must live in, (if that's true, leave immediately). Try that in my state and you are going to get a very nasty wake up call. After the home owner or his neighbors beat you senseless, Law Enforcement will be taking you to jail. If you decide to get feisty and push your belief of your "right to video tape someone in their own backyard", you WILL be going to the State Mental Hospital for a 30 day court ordered mental health evaluation. Get feisty while you are there, and that will be your new mailing address.
Oh, by the way; our Castle Doctrine allows a home owner, (or neighbor), to shoot you to death if they felt you were behaving in a "threatening manner". You will also be going to jail here for "creating apprehension". We have several more rabbits to pull out of our legal hat too, for someone that wants to get cute.

Guess Google will be locked up for a long time then, as earth has photographed your and every other state with pictures of people's backyards!

1. Guess Google will be locked up for a long time then, as earth has photographed your and every other state with pictures of people's backyards!
Google's satellite & aerial still imaging goes through extensive post processing, (at great expense, I'm sure), to ensure privacy. The resolution that they are providing hardly allows make/model of vehicles to be identified, while persons are rendered as single pixel blobs. Google Street imaging carefully "twinkles" out all license plate and identifiable features of persons. The issue in the post was not photographing backyards, but "video taping someone in their own backyard".
I'll say it again; maybe in your state. Don't try that here.

I'm not advocating spying on people in their backyard. Flying nearby at 300 feet AGL while the camera is running is a whole other thing. We Should not be flying over people anyhow.

I recently shot stock footage over a lake in a residential area, I was at 300ft AGL and so there are plenty of houses in the shot.

As does google I do a lot of post processing, there will be no identifiable people, license plates or sinage in the shots when they are done.

Do you think that we shouldn't be able to take shots like this?
Like you I believe that no matter what the law says we should respect people's right to privacy (especially in their backyard.)

But I also believe the laws should not be overbearing on us because of a few stupid fliers.

I'm not advocating spying on people in their backyard. Flying nearby at 300 feet AGL while the camera is running is a whole other thing. We Should not be flying over people anyhow.

I recently shot stock footage over a lake in a residential area, I was at 300ft AGL and so there are plenty of houses in the shot.

As does google I do a lot of post processing, there will be no identifiable people, license plates or sinage in the shots when they are done.

Do you think that we shouldn't be able to take shots like this?
Like you I believe that no matter what the law says we should respect people's right to privacy (especially in their backyard.)

But I also believe the laws should not be overbearing on us because of a few stupid fliers.
You and I agree completely on this new touchy arena that drones have created. People want their privacy. Drones want to fly around. The vast majority of us do not live in rural, sparsely populated areas. The vast majority of us will not violate their neighbors privacy.
If, a drone is "passing through", (like an airplane does), and does not loiter, I do not believe MOST people would have a problem with it at maybe, 200 AGL and above.
I think the problem that is going to have to be addressed in the courts is "loitering" and maybe, below 200' AGL.
You know, I'm with you. Respect peoples privacy. Be a good neighbor. Treat people the way you would want to be treated.

@Mike2A Do these Maryland laws mostly fall in line with current FAA regulation in how the deal with drones? Or are they totally doing their own thing?
Sorry, I know nothing about Maryland's goings on. Someone will chime in who knows something.

The State of Maryland (i.e. The General Assembly) has only assumed authority for enacting any regulation or restriction on drone use anywhere within the State of Maryland but in accordance with federal (i.e. FAA) regulations and guidance. So they're not playing their own thing, just keeping every municipality, etc. in the state from making their own policy and reserving that authority for the state. To date, the State of Maryland has not made any restrictive policies specific to drone use beyond honoring those mandated by the FAA.

You and I agree completely on this new touchy arena that drones have created. People want their privacy. Drones want to fly around. The vast majority of us do not live in rural, sparsely populated areas. The vast majority of us will not violate their neighbors privacy.
If, a drone is "passing through", (like an airplane does), and does not loiter, I do not believe MOST people would have a problem with it at maybe, 200 AGL and above.
I think the problem that is going to have to be addressed in the courts is "loitering" and maybe, below 200' AGL.
You know, I'm with you. Respect peoples privacy. Be a good neighbor. Treat people the way you would want to be treated.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor