New and need advice

Reaction score
hello all,

I am new to drones as well as this site and would like to ask for some advice from all you seasoned veterans. First off, I really appreciate any information you all give me and value an outlet as such!

I'm currently in a job where I'm not appreciated and need out. I've saved some money and think I'd be a good fit for a drone pilot in the business realm but don't know where to start. I'd like to buy a drone that could allow me to make money as well as learn with and have been looking at the higher end models. I'm hesitant to just jump into a cheaper drone only to end up needing to purchase one of the best in a few months l so here's where I need y'alls help.

If I invest in the p4p or even the inspire will I likely damage it throughout my learning process? Would it be better to purchase a p3 version to learn with only to need to purchase a better one to actually make money with? I realistically could buy any of them but want to make sure my path is the right one with the idea of starting a business in the end.

What steps did those of you who successfully started a company/make money flying take and what would you have done different?

Thank you all so much for your time and I look forward to chatting more :)

Reading this forum, you will see many stories of new Phantom pilots crashing their drones, primarily due to operator error, failure to read the manual, really learn how they work and fly, general inexperience, or just plain making dumb mistakes. Therefore, before considering starting a business, get plenty of experience and honing your skills flying your drone until you are very comfortable flying it and have proven to yourself you can fly it without crashing it in both GPS and ATTI modes. (Many of us have never had a crash). I would recommend getting the cheaper P3 Standard to hone your flying and photography skills, then when comfortable, upgrade to what you want for your business. Keep the P3S in the event your professional bird is inoperative - you still have a backup to complete that impending job. Just take your time and don't get in a hurry. Good luck.

Reading this forum, you will see many stories of new Phantom pilots crashing their drones, primarily due to operator error, failure to read the manual, really learn how they work and fly, general inexperience, or just plain making dumb mistakes. Therefore, before considering starting a business, get plenty of experience and honing your skills flying your drone until you are very comfortable flying it and have proven to yourself you can fly it without crashing it in both GPS and ATTI modes. (Many of us have never had a crash). I would recommend getting the cheaper P3 Standard to hone your flying and photography skills, then when comfortable, upgrade to what you want for your business. Keep the P3S in the event your professional bird is inoperative - you still have a backup to complete that impending job. Just take your time and don't get in a hurry. Good luck.

Thanks so much for the valuable suggestion. I was worried I'd be missing out on some of the new technology in the P4P that I'd end up having to learn when upgrading. I'm very tech savvy and a fast learner so I was assuming I'd be good buying a high end one right off the bat, but I really like your suggestion. Would you say the basic P3 is sufficient or would you suggest going for one of the higher P3 models? Any accessories you suggest getting with it to avoid damaging it or accessories I'll end up wanting as I get more accustomed to flying? I notice your name is NM_Quad... are you in New Mexico? I live in Santa Fe

I am new with my P4P, about 3 hours of airtime so far, and a video!
If you have never done any RC aircraft flying in the past, then this will be new and somewhat daunting.
However, there is a simulator, that allows you to fly, within the "Beginners" range, all simulated but quite realistic. You can figure out the controls in that, doing maneuvers and such until you fill fairly competent.
Now, the P4P in P or S mode, is still a self flying stable platform. It will hover motionless for as long as you wish. You can stop by letting the sticks go and it will do that immediately. You have tell to think, it does not have to be moving forward like conventional craft.
Now, if something happens, like GPS Loss of Signal or other such thing, you must fly in Atti mode, that takes much more skill to fly successfully. But, with a little time in P mode, then Sport mode, staying very close to you, you can learn without crashing, providing nothing catastrophic happens.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers