Negative News Coverage

Reaction score
The local news ran a story about "drones" causing problems with rescue operations during our recent flooding...They said the FAA was investigating...yippie. :(

TRAVIS COUNTY, Texas -- As floods ravaged downtown Austin on Memorial Day, emergency crews faced an unexpected problem when a STAR Flight helicopter was forced to cancel at least one search operation after a ground spotter saw drones in the area.

STAR Flight was dispatched at least 16 times Memorial Day weekend and crews made two hoist rescues. They battle the weather and rough terrain in their job, but now crews say they also have to worry about drones as the technology becomes more popular.

On Memorial Day, a STAR Flight crew went out to do a search over the Shoal Creek Greenbelt, looking for people who might need help, when an Austin Fire Department safety officer spotted multiple drones overhead across from House Park.

"We had no idea who was operating the drones, where the drones were being operated, what their intent was," said STAR Flight Director Casey Ping.

The crew had to cancel the operation and turn around.

"What we can't really have is a drone that could weigh up to 10 pounds impacting a helicopter," Ping said. "It can be a hindrance for public safety to figure out where they are and who's operating them."

Ping said it could damage the helicopter and put the crew at risk.

Many drone pilots took the opportunity to get an aerial view during recent flooding.

At least they talked to a local responsible guy for the story...
http://www.kvue.com/story/news/loca...n-the-way-of-flood-search-operation/28439445/

Big sky pilots no likey small drone pilots.

"......We had no idea who was operating the drones, where the drones were being operated, what their intent was," said STAR Flight Director Casey Ping....."

Way to make it sound so mysterious and scary. (moron) I can tell you with 100% certainty they were people wanting to see the flooding. TaDa!!

The irony here being that most news orgs are now flying drones. And their invasiveness with cameras is legendary, which just makes them big time hypocrites on the issue. That being said, if a rescue helo is flying over me to interdict people in a flood area, my bird is coming down ASAP. There's no way you'll be able to tell when or if they're going to need to land, so best to play it safe and GTFD.

Where is the hypocrisy?

It seemed like a simple reporting of why STAR had to end their activities in the area.

I didn't find it negative either.

It seemed like a simple reporting of why STAR had to end their activities in the area.

Well I could have used their headline "STAR Flight: Drones interfered with flood search operation." It was one of the lead stories last night.

Where is the hypocrisy?

Did we read the same article?!

"............ We had no idea who was operating the drones, where the drones were being operated, what their intent was," said STAR Flight Director Casey Ping.

"What we can't really have is a drone that could weigh up to 10 pounds impacting a helicopter," Ping said. "It can be a hindrance for public safety to figure out where they are and who's operating them."

Ping said it could damage the helicopter and put the crew at risk........"

Perhaps you should define your version of "negative"?!

Sounds like what happened unless Mr. Ping was lying.

Did we read the same article?!

"............ We had no idea who was operating the drones, where the drones were being operated, what their intent was," said STAR Flight Director Casey Ping.

Ping said it could damage the helicopter and put the crew at risk........"

Perhaps you should define your version of "negative"?!

Yea we did read the same article and we also have different outlooks on life.

Yea we did read the same article and we also have different outlooks on life.

I guess my point was if one of the lead news stories has the director of Star Flight saying drones stopped us from saving people and a local police chief on the news about a month ago saying we don't want these thing flying in the city limits...What do you think the general uninformed public's opinion is going to be?

Where is the hypocrisy?

After reviewing the complete article I can see there is more balance in reporting than originally viewed in the snippet provided by the OP. The hypocrisy remark stems from the sheer number of alarmist reports being blasted onto the internet and airwaves about "mysterious, possibly nefarious drone operators." At the very same time they blast this reporting angle out there, the same news outlets are going for their 333 exemptions in droves. They are also more than willing to use "donated" drone footage that comes their way if it's related to a building fire or some other breaking news.

Here is some irony...APD and AFD both have drones and use them....so they are okay if they use them?

Not if they interfere with Life/Safety operations of any kind.

After reviewing the complete article I can see there is more balance in reporting than originally viewed in the snippet provided by the OP. The hypocrisy remark stems from the sheer number of alarmist reports being blasted onto the internet and airwaves about "mysterious, possibly nefarious drone operators." At the very same time they blast this reporting angle out there, the same news outlets are going for their 333 exemptions in droves.

If you notice I complemented them for talking to a local guy who flies drones. :)

Reactions: Tron_X
But the post above got me thinking about a 333 exemption. Maybe I can use some shots to sell alongside my photography sideline!

2b2d2_ORIG-I_like_where_this_thread_is_going.jpg

If you notice I complemented them for talking to a local guy who flies drones. :)

No worries, it's my own fault for not reading the entire linked article... that snippet is obviously the juiciest part that is representative of the typical cookie-cutter reporting of recent.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic