Need Suggestions for Two-Way Radio Equipment for Air Traffic Communication

Reaction score
I am in the process of ordering a Phantom 4 Pro. For safety reasons, I intend to use a handheld two-way radio to monitor CTAF and ATC frequencies, communicate my drone operations position, and, if necessary, notify any aircraft that may be flying close to my position about my drone activities. I am not very familiar with two-way radio technology. I would appreciate suggestions on reliable models that cost $250 or less.

Thanks in advance.

You are not authorized or licensed for transmitting on ATC aviation frequencies.
As far as monitoring... any scanner will work just fine.

You are not authorized or licensed for transmitting on ATC aviation frequencies.
As far as monitoring... any scanner will work just fine.
Funny, Part 107 test and study materials include ATC Comms. Not to mention that there are COA's that require them.

Funny, Part 107 test and study materials include ATC Comms. Not to mention that there are COA's that require them.

Funny... how so?
sUAS communication with ATC are to be conducted via a web-portal. Not via direct radio comm.

This can easily be found on-line.

Last edited:
Funny... how so?
sUAS communication with ATC are to be conducted via a web-portal. Not via direct radio comm.

This an easily be found on-line.
Here are the relevant quotes from the official FAA Part 107 Study Guide.....BTW these are from Chapter 7 : Radio Communications Procedures ;)

"Understanding proper radio phraseology and procedures contribute to a pilot’s ability to operate safely and efficiently in the airspace system."

"Although a remote pilot-in-command is not required to communicate with manned aircraft when in the vicinity of a non-towered airport, safety in the National Airspace System requires that remote pilots are familiar with traffic patterns, radio procedures, and radio phraseology."

"For this reason, a remote pilot must always look for other aircraft in the area, and use a radio for an extra layer of situational awareness."

And now for the most important paragraph....

"When operating in the vicinity of any airport, either towered or non-towered, it is important for a remote pilot to understand radio communications of manned aircraft in the area. Although 14 CFR part 107 only requires the remote pilot to receive authorization to operate in certain airport areas, it can be a good operating practice to have a radio that will allow the remote pilot to monitor the appropriate frequencies in the area. The remote pilot should refrain from transmitting over any active aviation frequency unless there is an emergency situation."

"To close, a remote pilot is not expected to communicate with other aircraft in the vicinity of an airport, and should not do so unless there is an emergency situation. However, in the interest of safety in the NAS, it is important that a remote pilot understands the aviation language and the types of aircraft that can be operating in the same area as a small UA."

So to summarize, Radio Procedures are very important to RPIC. If you are operating in the vicinity of an airport you should have a two way radio capable of monitoring the CTIS/CTAF and refrain from broadcastingexcept in case of emergency. Such as broadcasting a flyaway. Obviously UAS shouldn't be doing pattern work at an airport but in the interest of safety they should absolutely have and be familiar with radio procedures (the latter being a requirement and tested on the 107 exam).

My 2 cents

The requirement was dropped from the sUAS 107 licensing.
You're not the first to derive a similar conclusion from the verbiage you quoted.
Do as you wish. But to assume your authorized to Tx on aviation channels is a misunderstanding.
Remember this is the domain of the FCC not the FAA.

LOL, I'll take my chances, I would LOVE to see the FCC prosecute on an emergency broadcast on aviation band that is recommended by the FAA. It's not a misunderstanding, it's a quote from a Federal Document with a Federal Document Number. Radio Procedures were certainly part of the 107 test, I answered them (correctly). Can you provide a source for the removal, as the study guide on the FAA website still contains Chapter 7 Radio Communications Procedures. As I said, UAS pilots shouldn't be broadcasting on aviation frequencies unless it's an emergency.

LOL, I'll take my chances, I would LOVE to see the FCC prosecute on an emergency broadcast on aviation band that is recommended by the FAA. It's not a misunderstanding, it's a quote from a Federal Document with a Federal Document Number. Radio Procedures were certainly part of the 107 test, I answered them (correctly). Can you provide a source for the removal, as the study guide on the FAA website still contains Chapter 7 Radio Communications Procedures. As I said, UAS pilots shouldn't be broadcasting on aviation frequencies unless it's an emergency.

Please be a little more respectful.

Yes. You are free to take your chances and do so at your own peril.
You are displaying confirmation bias.

As you are not ABOARD a civil aircraft you are in violation of FCC section 301.

As a licensed radio operator and inactive PPL holder I find such conduct in contempt for the rules of our society and the licenses I earned as it is not a right in and of itself.

Yes. You are free to take your chances and do so at your own peril.
You are displaying confirmation bias.

As you are not ABOARD a civil aircraft you are in violation of FCC section 301.

As a licensed radio operator I find such conduct in contempt for the rules of our society and the license I earned as it is not right in and of itself.
It's not contempt, it's called safety. I think it unwise to tell someone not to purchase a two way aviation radio when the safety case is compelling and the use would only be in emergency situations and is recommended by the FAA. You have to look at legislative intent in that the FCC regulation did not contemplate UAV. The point of the FCC removing the requirement for a license for aircraft was for safety as specifically laid out on the FCC website.

Here is a COA specifically requiring two way radio communications. Since this has gotten way off topic, this will be my last post on this issue.

FAA FORM 7711-1 UAS COA Attachment 2015-CSA-16-COA Version 2.1: June 2012 Page 7 of 22 D. Air Traffic Control (ATC) Communications. 1. The pilot and/or PIC will maintain direct, two-way communication with ATC and have the ability to maneuver the unmanned aircraft in response to ATC instructions, unless addressed in the Special Provision Section. a. When required, ATC will assign a radio frequency for air traffic control during flight. The use of land-line and/or cellular telephones is prohibited as the primary means for in-flight communication with ATC. 2. The PIC must not accept an ATC clearance requiring the use of visual separation, sequencing, or visual approach. 3. When necessary, transit of airways and routes must be conducted as expeditiously as possible. The unmanned aircraft must not loiter on Victor airways, jet routes, Q and T routes, IR routes, or VR routes. 4. For flights operating on an IFR clearance at or above 18,000 feet mean sea level (MSL), the PIC must ensure positional information in reference to established National Airspace System (NAS) fixes, NAVAIDs, and/or waypoints is provided to ATC. The use of latitude/longitude positions is not authorized, except oceanic flight operations. 5. If equipped, the unmanned aircraft must operate with a. An operational mode 3/A transponder with altitude encoding, or mode S transponder (preferred) set to an ATC assigned squawk b. Position/navigation and anti-collision lights on at all times during flight unless stipulated in the special provisions or the proponent has a specific exemption from 14 CFR Part 91.209. 6. Operations that use a Global Positioning System (GPS) for navigation must check Receiver Autonomous Integrity Monitoring (RAIM) notices prior to flight operations. Flight into a GPS test area or degraded RAIM is prohibited for those aircraft that use GPS as their sole means for navigation.

Becoming frustrated with conflicting opinions, claiming this thread has gone off-topic, then 'taking your ball and going home' is ponderous.

Do you understand the difference between operating with a Section 333 authorization and under Part 107?

Again you are displaying confirmation bias and possibly the inability to understand the applicable regulations.

Geez! Whole lotta material here! To answer the original question. I'd just monitor the tower frequency on a hand held scanner. There's really no need to communicate with pilots (manned aircraft ). You just need to know their location and stay out of their way. Hope this helps you.

Reactions: Brokov
Things may have changed since I began flying but the requirement was a simple Restricted Radio Telephone Licence. It is a simple application, no testing and anybody may use the radio that holds this certificate. You may (and is very often the case using the appropriate frequency use it just to ask the pilot to lunch if that is your traffic. (and you are using the correct frequencies).

Double check to make sure that there have been no changes in the last few years.

Just FYI,
Steve

Yes, No FCC license required for operations while ABOARD a civil aircraft. The plane's N# becomes the call-sign.
Ground stations (hangar ops, etc) still need licensing and C-S assignment.

For the OP you can find a lot of avionics radios here: Aviation Radios

When I was looking at them at the local avionics shop by our airport, the owner said they were good for only a few blocks to the tower. Skyward they were fine, but on the ground around buildings, houses, etc. they were very iffy unless you also attached a ground-plane antenna to your car or truck which might take you out to a mile or two to the tower while being ground-based.

He said he lived 5 miles from the airport and even with a large antenna on his roof he could not pick up the tower, but aircraft overhead were fine. The local airports antennas were all on the ground on not on the tower roof (Lightning perhaps?) which made ground signals sporadic around the field unless you were close in.

And I recall the only thing I needed was the Radio Telephone License mentioned above for aircraft when I went through the private pilots course. Some mail-in thing, but not sure what they have now.

Yes, No FCC license required for operations while ABOARD a civil aircraft. The plane's N# becomes the call-sign.
Ground stations (hangar ops, etc) still need licensing and C-S assignment.
I know is not pertinent to US sUAS, but a radiotelephone license IS required for international (outside US) operations. It's an item on inspector's ramp checklist.

Thanks. IMO, the scope of the thread thus far was US. I have no international experience or accreditations.

Reactions: Falcon900

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31