need or want?

Reaction score
ive had te fortune of owning an original phantom, phantom 2, a phantom 2 vision, and a currently own a phantom 2 vision +.

The Phantom 3 is a seemingly nifty iteration to the Vison +. However I'm trying to understand if this product is more of a Need than want.

Obviously the compelling features are the following:
1.) 4K camera with a better sensor
2.) Sonar for indoor navigation
3.) upgraded Gps
4.) New drone pilot app.

My question to members is, what problem is the P3 trying to solve?

My only conclusion is that it's interesting from a. Sonar/indoor perspective, but for me, there are specialized drones made that focus exclusively on indoor capabilities.

With that said,is the P3 a want or a need in the hobby/small business community?

I can see how it makes real estate photography easier.. Just food for thought

The lightbridge is the selling point for most I think. For me at least. The whole wifi stream was a hack to get affordable FPV before the lightbridge tech came out and was perfected.

No fisheye lense and 1080p/60 is probably a close 2nd.

Reactions: bobomet
I really enjoyed my V3 but when I saw I didn't need the wifi Dongle I figured it was time to box up that V3 and ship it back. Twice the range and the better camera are a bonus.

Using both GPS and Glonass satellites is a definite improvement. The transmitter is a serious, serious improvement! It also appears the antenna's are an upgrade...

I know I am excited to get mine, but now I'm wondering if I should keep my +v3....

Using both GPS and Glonass satellites is a definite improvement. The transmitter is a serious, serious improvement! It also appears the antenna's are an upgrade...

I know I am excited to get mine, but now I'm wondering if I should keep my +v3....
keep it. you can use it to find the P3 once it flies away! lol. j/k, hopefully they've got all the **** worked out by now. I'm keeping mine as a knock around -- ordered the itelite dbs antenna so maybe it'll be my no guts no glory bird.

keep it. you can use it to find the P3 once it flies away! lol. j/k, hopefully they've got all the **** worked out by now. I'm keeping mine as a knock around -- ordered the itelite dbs antenna so maybe it'll be my no guts no glory bird.

Now that's funny, bbfpv! Believe it or not, that thought traversed the back of my mind yesterday!

I have a +v2 without a gimbal/camera that I've configured for telemetry but don't have the cctv camera working yet. Amazon lists the release date as May 15 so that's possibly up to 6-7 weeks before receipt...I could have a lot of fun with my +v3 until then, and I definitely need the video practice...

yup. at the very least you need something to do while you wait :)

The lightbridge is the selling point for most I think. For me at least. The whole wifi stream was a hack to get affordable FPV before the lightbridge tech came out and was perfected.

No fisheye lense and 1080p/60 is probably a close 2nd.

100% agree about the lightbridge being the #1 selling point and then the new camera being #2.

I just hope the new camera and gimbal combo is more robust then on the P2V+.

For me it's the improved video quality over P2V+. When watching videos back on my retina MacBook Pro I'm alwsys disappointed by the lack of detail and quality, and that's why I went for the 4k version.

The other new features are a bonus!

The 3 apears to be everything I wanted the Vision+ to be. As previously stated, lightbridge seals the deal and the improved camera. Compatibility with the Inspire app is also a winner.

Then there should some interesting apps coming as developers tinker away. I know I'd invest my time and money developing for the Phantom 3 opposed to the 2 for long term profitably reasons.

improved video quality #1, having a configurable control to start and stop recording on the controller #2(I hate fiddling with the iphone while flying) extended(read more reliable) range #3, a flight sim built in #4, no separate wifi booster #5,not having the lens curvature issue# 6,

Reactions: 4wd
If I could ask what must be a dumb question (sorry for that if it is), I plan to pre-order the P3 in the next couple of days, but know very little about the LightBridge function and use of my Android Tablet to replace my mobile phone for FPV, Waypoints flights, etc.

My Android is Tablet (which I won at a car dealership event, but never took it out of the box) is WIFI capable, but I don't have mobile phone service set up for it.

Do I need to have some sort of service, or can I just connect to the P3 via device WIFI?

Thanks for any help you can give, as this would clear-up a lack of knowledge on this.

Device connectivity doesn't matter because you plug the device into the controller via USB. Device specs *do* matter because if your device is ****, it won't be able to handle the video stream. If you want "live maps" the device needs to be connected to the internet somehow. Details are all over the internet and this forum.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.