Need info on 100% Battery Discharging

Reaction score
Will a "100% Discharge" of Phanton 3 battery for transportation on an Airliner cause any problems with battery if LEFT Discharged for 2 or 3 months?

Will a "100% Discharge" of Phanton 3 battery for transportation on an Airliner cause any problems with battery if LEFT Discharged for 2 or 3 months?
You don't need to discharge even 1% for airline travel.
Where did you get the idea that you should?

And yes, leaving it discharged for months is not good for the battery.

@Realtor Bob, the only thing you need to do is make sure the battery terminals are covered. You could do that by storing your batteries in a case/bag that contains separate battery compartments, use battery covers (like these), or place a piece of tape over the battery terminals.

You don't need to discharge even 1% for airline travel.
Where did you get the idea that you should?

Hm, interesting. Looks like this depends on either a country on an airline.
I was instructed at airport that batteries need to be discharged. But:
- they did not checked whether what I answered was true, and I am assuming they never do
- as long as batteries are below 75%, I treat them as discharged - so I wasn't even lying

I would assume batteries in storage mode should be treated as discharged, by both you and the staff.
Both li-po and li-ion batteries are getting damaged when completely discharged. Even NiCd can get damaged when discharged completely for too long, and these are the most forgiving in regard to mistreatment.

Hm, interesting. Looks like this depends on either a country on an airline.
I was instructed at airport that batteries need to be discharged.
If you were told by airport security people that you needed to discharge batteries, it's the first time I've seen that reported.
What airport was it?
If you want to send a bulk lot of batteries as air cargo, they must be at 30% or lower.
But no passenger airline or the FAA recommend that you discharge batteries for travel.

I would assume batteries in storage mode should be treated as discharged
For storage, Lipo batteries should be at about 50% charge.
DJI batteries self discharge to storage level without you having to do anything.

If you were told by airport security people that you needed to discharge batteries, it's the first time I've seen that reported.
What airport was it?

An airport in Poland. They never said I need to discharge, they said I cannot have fully charged batteries in my luggadge.

For storage, Lipo batteries should be at about 50% charge.
DJI batteries self discharge to storage level without you having to do anything.

Agreed; but - only as long as you don't press the button to check charge state.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robvalduga